Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 - wifi issues - searching networks

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing issues working with my brand new iPhone 6.

While the speed is normal, the connection seems to be not reestablished after waking the device up from the "display off"-mode.

Wondering why the connection has been removed I'm trying to fix that by opening Wifi Seetings, where the status of the wifi remains "searching".

Then I have two possibilities:

- Restarting the device, which brings back the connectivity immediately

- Waiting for 10+ minutes, which enables me to find wifi networks again

For normal I'm using a 5ghz connection.

Trying to switch the wifi connection off and on again doesn't work for me.

Cheers,

Matthias

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 1:40 AM

I have the same issue. Thought it was the hardware so took my device back to EE, they swapped the handset over and the same thing happened. After a device reset the iwork apps were no longer installed and this seemed to have improved performance but sadly the wifi issues you are experiencing have returned on my new device. I suspect this is a hardware issue. I have a work 4S, have updated it to IOS8 but never lose connection to wifi.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2014 1:40 AM in response to aroiw

I have the same issue. Thought it was the hardware so took my device back to EE, they swapped the handset over and the same thing happened. After a device reset the iwork apps were no longer installed and this seemed to have improved performance but sadly the wifi issues you are experiencing have returned on my new device. I suspect this is a hardware issue. I have a work 4S, have updated it to IOS8 but never lose connection to wifi.

Sep 23, 2014 4:42 AM in response to aroiw

Posted this in another thread - seems like the same issue:

My iPhone 6+ struggles to connect to my wireless ac (5Ghz) network i.e. it takes a long time to connect (up to a minute). The speed on the ac network is fine once it connects.

When I try to resume on wireless e.g. after coming home and switching from cellular then the phone sees my access point but will not connect and I get the constant spinning cursor. I have to reboot to get it to connect.

Connecting to my wireless n access point (2.4GHz) on the same router is instant and rock solid (although obviously much slower).

I am using my Macbook Pro on the ac network on the same router without these issues.

Matthias, does yours work okay on the 2.4GHz network?

Sep 27, 2014 12:46 PM in response to aroiw

Same problem here, iPhone 6 64GB.

WiFi will work most of the time but then after waking the device by pressing the sleep/wake or Touch ID button it'll sometimes not have any WiFi logo showing and simply won't connect or even find any other networks (eg: can't find other nearby networks either in neighbouring houses). Whilst this is happening my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are able to continue to use my WiFi fine, as are other devices. My network is 2.4Ghz and is issuing DHCP IP address leases for 24 hours at a time. The lease is (already) assigned and it remains the same IP address after it starts working again, which seems to be if I just leave the iPhone 6 (with the screen off) for a few minutes and then try to use it again, at which point I presume something has timed out or reset on the phone and it decides it can make the WiFi work again, which seems to rule out any problem with my network/router and also when the phone is able to find my own network it's also able to pick up several nearby WiFi networks, which again points to there being a problem with the iPhone 6.

This has happened with iOS 8 and 8.0.2. All the other devices are on the same version of iOS.

Sep 28, 2014 7:23 AM in response to SMSimUK

Hi, I was having issues with the connection through my home server to my new iPhone 6, but when I went to visit a friend in Switzerland I had no issues either at her house or at Zurich airport. So when I got back I ran through every possibility. Eventually sussed that the router was set on auto channel (i.e. to find the best channel for the signal). It seemed to be trying to swap between channels, and the phone wasn't keeping up. Told the router which channel to use, so the channel is now fixed. Since then no issues, whereas before the signal was dropping out every 45 seconds or so.

It might be the fact the router was switching and the phone couldn't keep up, or possibly the phone is better at detecting some channels than others. Either way it worked for me so it might work for others. Hope it helps someone.

Oct 15, 2014 2:06 AM in response to aroiw

I have resolved this issue on my new iPhone6 as follows. My router is a fairly old Belkin in this case.

1) on iPhone in settings, WiFi, forget this network

2) select the network again and select the blue i button

3) Log in to your ADSL router from another device and note network and DNS settings

4) on iPhone reconfigure using Static settings rather than DHCP (thats what I did anyway)

5) Log in to your ADSL router again and restart it or power it down and up again

6) on iPhone reconnect to the WiFi when it restarts

Now everything seems to be ok with the iPhone connected and staying connected.

Jan 23, 2015 12:34 PM in response to 8383

Hi, I had the a similar issue with wifi dropping and not reconnecting automatically on my iphone 6 with ios 8.1.2

The wifi was disconnecting every minutes without locking the screen. I had to go back to wifi settings and reselect the network I want

I tried all the tips available (forget network, reset network setting, reboot phone, disable location, disable air drop/bluetooth)

This was happening mostly in hotels with annoying DNS that redirects you to a web page to login with name/room # so changing wifi router settings was not an option

I finally set up static IP adress as you mentionned and now my wifi is stable for 2h (and reconnects works too)... thanks 😉

However this is more a patch than a fix because when I leave the hotel, the router will assign my static IP to someone else end when I come back it wont work anymore

My guess is that IOS 8 has problems reconnecting to a router when a new IP address is leased. Hope this is fixed shortly

iphone 6 - wifi issues - searching networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.