Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Screen unresponsive after iOS 8 update

My 1 year old 64GB iPhone 5 touch screen started to become unresponsive after iOS 8 update

It's not consistent. Touch screen functionality will seize whilst phone is being used for either answering calls, typing messges, surfing, gaming etc and won't become responsive until it is turned off and on again (via power button). Home button is functioning with no problems.

As the phone is now out of its warranty period I want to verify if it's the OS that's causing this or do I actually have a hardware issue.

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 1:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 10:09 AM

It's absolutely the update. I have an almost-2-year-old 4s, and have never ONCE had that issue. Then this past weekend I updated (iOS 8.02 or whatever), and a day or two later it started happening. For me it's mostly happening when I have an app open and it starts to go into sleep mode, or has gone into sleep mode, and when it comes back on sometimes it's normal sometimes not. I also used the homescreen button and that seems to do the trick, but yeah it's annoying as ****.

119 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2014 10:09 AM in response to 2Applefy

It's absolutely the update. I have an almost-2-year-old 4s, and have never ONCE had that issue. Then this past weekend I updated (iOS 8.02 or whatever), and a day or two later it started happening. For me it's mostly happening when I have an app open and it starts to go into sleep mode, or has gone into sleep mode, and when it comes back on sometimes it's normal sometimes not. I also used the homescreen button and that seems to do the trick, but yeah it's annoying as ****.

Oct 1, 2014 2:14 PM in response to 2Applefy

I have a ~1 year old iPhone 5 that has performed flawlessly up until I upgraded to iOS 8. I'm now running 8.0.2 and no still having the same issue. It happens a lot when using different Apps, but notably Facebook. I'm also having problems with the screen not rotating into landscape mode. Also, when clicking on links within apps like Facebook, the phone will seem to lock up & be unresponsive for 10-20 seconds.

Oct 2, 2014 10:40 PM in response to 2Applefy

I have the same issue. I upgraded the 5S and noticed it. I can't pin down what's causing it, but it often requires me to use the home button to exit the app and then go back in.

To be honest the 5S has been through some though times and so I thought there may be something there. However I picked up a new iPhone 6 yesterday and the issue is happening here too. There are only 3 elements that are consistent: me (I don't think I've changed); my installation (I migrated my backup to the new phone); ios8. It could I still be that the original ios8 trashed my 5s backup and I have migrated that over, or it is ios8 itself. I'm hoping for the latter and a quick software fox, because it's starting to drive me mad.

Oct 4, 2014 4:49 AM in response to 2Applefy

Hi

I also have this problem. Usually when typing messages, in YouTube, Safari etc.

Other issues: caps selecting when it shouldn't; phone calling answerphone on its own; showing that there are photos and videos in Settings > General > About when there aren't any on the phone (but a thumbnail of a deleted phone shows when you access the camera from the control centre when the iPhone 5S (and iPod 5th Gen touch is unlocked); black screen on iPhone 5S (except for carrier and battery info).

All in all a rubbish update not thought through and not properly tested.

Oct 4, 2014 5:28 AM in response to PopGoesTheWeasel

Try a Reset and then after the Reset do a Reset All Settings ...You will need to then go through and make you specific Settings Choices again on such things as WiFi Network, Location Services preferences by App, etc. but this may result in the Touch-Screen / Typing issues being Resolved. If after this the issues are not Resolved then you will have to Restore to Factory Settings and before you add back you Backup let the iPhone become fully operational as a New iPhone and test the Screen and Typing without your earlier Backup.

Oct 4, 2014 7:04 PM in response to 2Applefy

I read that backing up via iTunes, erasing all content and settings, setting up as a new iPhone, and then restoring from backup in iTunes would correct the issue. I did that and still had some issues but they were a lot less apparent. Between my iPhone 5s and my new iPhone 6+ I realized that I installed the swipe keyboards on both. I've have since disabled it on my iPhone 6+ and things have been running smoothly since then. Anyone else running third-party keyboards?

Oct 6, 2014 9:17 PM in response to 2Applefy

I have the same issue. iPhone 5, 1 year-old, not even a scratch.

Sometimes my touch screen works, sometimes not. When it works, it is just for some seconds, then some phantom touches start to happen all over the screen, but specially, when i'm typing, it types z or m, when I try to type something in, and it receives it, it will act as z or m again....

If I switch off my screen and switch on again... sometimes it will work, sometimes it wont... veeery unstable.

I considered downgrading to 7.1.2 but since I heard it is ilegal I decided to wait for a new iOS release.... any suggestions? (already wiped it and the issue continued...)

Is it really not recommended to downgrade it and have my phone funcionalities back?

Oct 7, 2014 3:07 PM in response to 2Applefy

I had the same with the phone (iPhone 5) being unresponsive after updating to iOS8.0.2. I had Fleksy, a third party keyboard installed and I just gave it a shot and deleted the new keyboard, rebooted the phone and now it's working again as it should. So people with third party keyboards should maybe get rid of them for the time being...

Touch Screen unresponsive after iOS 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.