Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8 Push Email Delays

Since ios 8 release (including on 8.0.2), a number of users within our organization have noticed delays in Push email being delivered to the mail application for activesync (exchange) mail connections.

This hasn't ever been noticed on ios 7, but consistently since 8.0 and 8.0.2 were released.

Anyone else seeing this issue? I have verified it is still setup as PUSH for that profile. We use Maas360 as an MDM tool also but changes there.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2014 6:31 AM

I have noticed I don't get email now till I click the mail icon then they come flooding through.

push nail used to work fine before update

66 replies

Oct 9, 2014 7:36 PM in response to bigjones56

Got the same problem here, but itā€™s more than just push email. Immediately after applying the 8.0.2 IOS update, push email stopped. Donā€™t get anything immediately any longer. Emails on my work Exchange account are taking an hour or more to reach me. My office hasnā€™t touched the Exchange server configuration in months, and thereā€™s been no change in how my Blackberry has been receiving emails on the same account (Blackberry is running that same account on BIS, so same 15 mins or less schedule applies to that device). Wasnā€™t sure if that was happening with the 8.0 update, but push email is definitely badly broken with 8.0.2.

But the problem is not limited to push. All of my POP3 and IMAP4 email is also delayed an hour or more. No settings have changed, I still have my POP3 and IMAP4 accounts set to 15 minute polling. iPhone is not polling. POP3 and IMAP4 are also badly broken.

And thereā€™s one more symptom. Since applying IOS 8.0.2, battery life has dramatically improved. Thatā€™s a symptom of a very bad thing. Any time Iā€™m home, I manually turn off carrier data, since I caught Verizon billing me for data usage that should have been passed for free on my home Wi-Fi system. Very often now when I wake up the device with Safari active and try to load a web page, Safari alerts that it needs carrier data and stops. Thatā€™s because thereā€™s no Wi-Fi signal (icons confirm). Thereā€™s no Wi-Fi because apparently IOS 8.0.2 is turning off Wi-Fi, which shuts down all internet connected apps. Push email canā€™t work if thereā€™s no data service active. Wow, isnā€™t that clever.

But thereā€™s one more bad side-effect this ā€œpower saveā€ nonsense will have on cell customerā€™s accounts. If thereā€™s no Wi-Fi active on this device when youā€™re within range but the device just woke up, but you havenā€™t turned off cell carrier data, guess which system will be billing you more for data when you thought your home Wi-Fi was taking care of business.

Oct 27, 2014 6:46 AM in response to bigjones56

Had the same problem: iPhone 5S running iOS 8.1 and push notifications stopped working for my Google Apps account setup as an Exchange account. I resolved my problem by going to Settings -> Notifications -> Mail -> turn off Allow Notifications | closed Settings | went back to Settings and turned on Allow Notifications and push alerts started to work again.

Oct 27, 2014 6:48 AM in response to bigjones56

Had the same problem: iPhone 5S running iOS 8.1 and push notifications stopped working for my Google Apps account setup as an Exchange account. I resolved my problem by going to Settings -> Notifications -> Mail -> turn off Allow Notifications | closed Settings | went back to Settings and turned on Allow Notifications and push alerts started to work again.

Jan 19, 2015 10:51 AM in response to tomcatt1

Same problem here with iphone 6plus and ios 8.1.2.

My google apps exchange account pushes emails only occasionally. When it does not work I have to go manually to the mail app to fetch the emails. The delay can be anything from 5 minutes to 2 days. This is totally unacceptable, I missed really important e-mails, you have to fix this as soon as possible.

fixes tried and failed:

-remove and re-add the affected account

-disable and re-enable the notifications for the mail app

-system restore

Jan 19, 2015 11:11 AM in response to nikosl

First, you're not addressing Apple ... we're just users like you. Apple rarely participates here, this is a user-to-user forum for technical support.

Second, if you are a paying Google Apps customer then it should be working correctly if you've set your Gmail account up using the Exchange profile in iOS. Did you set up Gmail using the Gmail profile, or Exchange?

But if you're using a free Gmail account, using an Exchange setup (i.e. push) no longer works since Google removed its support of the "Google Sync" protocol for such users 2 years ago.

ios 8 Push Email Delays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.