Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't play music in car via usb after iOS 8 update

Hi, After the IOS8 Update and (now the 8.0.2 update) I'm not longer able to play music via the usb lead (OK via BlueTooth still), I have a Mazda 6, I get 'iPod Error' on the screen after it tries to read the phones music. It's not the lead, I've tried several and its not the car head unit as it still works on a device using IOS7 (as my phone did).

The case is with Mac but interested if anyone has any ideas/suggestions.

I wondering if it's something to do with 'Air play'?. Was there anything done to Airplay on the IOS8 update?

Apple tell me there is no reason for it not to work, nothing on the IOS8 update should effect the music via usb but it doesn't work.

Cheers

iPhone 5c, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 3:21 PM

100drh,

Have you reported this to Apple?

I got the impression when I did my report that Apple wanted to lay the blame with Mazda and even sent me a link to a support group who were moaning about the Mazda console.

Fortunately the guy I was talking to on the Apple support 'chat' was good enough to believe my answers to his questions and put a 'ticket in' for the issue.

Good to hear I'm not the only one with the problem but sad that we have it in the first place!

Cheers

72 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2014 3:21 PM in response to 100drh

100drh,

Have you reported this to Apple?

I got the impression when I did my report that Apple wanted to lay the blame with Mazda and even sent me a link to a support group who were moaning about the Mazda console.

Fortunately the guy I was talking to on the Apple support 'chat' was good enough to believe my answers to his questions and put a 'ticket in' for the issue.

Good to hear I'm not the only one with the problem but sad that we have it in the first place!

Cheers

Oct 10, 2014 11:55 PM in response to Balfonso02

hi all me again, I'm still helping Apple with the problem, they've had me try all sorts of tests but still no fix. I've asked if the Apple engineers could actually speak to Mazda or go to a dealers themselves to test the issue. They are looking at the problem to be fair to them but they still keep saying the issue may be with the car and can I 'update the software on the car' which you can't I don't think. So at the moment the engineers at Apple are looking at the problem and If I can convince them it's a software issue they will pass it over to the code writers to have a look. I'll let you all know when I have more. Cheers

Jan 31, 2015 5:22 PM in response to GarththeGrey

After reading this whole thread I seem to have discovered the problem with my USB link therefore I think I may have solve me problem with Iphone 6 and 2010 terrain. Since my car is an older model it is only compatible with Ipod and that is how I used it before but with this new update the interface between the two got picky.

As I was reading through the thread another user stated that he downloaded music and viola everything started working again. So I started thinking, since my wife works with the new upgrade, the only two difference were that it was iphone 5 and not a 6 and that she had music in it. Eureka ! my car reads my iphone 6 as iPod therefore I need to treat it like an iPod!

The Fix: I went into my iTunes just transferred one song, went down to my car and connected it, it started working like it use to !!!!

I hope this helps to anyone with my same problem

Thank you guys for your helpful insights

Jun 28, 2016 11:27 AM in response to GarththeGrey

For anyone with similar problems reaching this page in 2016. I own an iPhone 5s with ios9 but I'll bet you'l have the same problems with ios8. I own a Suzuki Swift and when I connect my iPhone via USB to the car stereo the 'iPod No Songs' message would display. I never use Apple Music because I'm a Spotify premium user and to save up on disk space I don't have any songs on my iPhone. So this is what I needed to do to fix this problem, I uploaded some songs to my iPhone and all of a sudden everything was working again. Now I can use Spotify Audiobooks and all sorts of media.

So the solution this problem in short, put some songs on your iPhone and ios8 will connect once again with your in car entertainment system. And the 'ipod no songs' message will dissapear.

Sep 27, 2014 1:36 AM in response to GarththeGrey

Mazda 6 - iPhone 5 - iOS 8.0.2

iPod function via usb fails, worked perfectly prior to iOS 8 'upgrade'. In my case the phone connects via Bluetooth but falls over at some point..... Bluetooth music streaming is possible but all functionality is now gone so that's effectively useless too.

Apple Store told me it was a 'Mazda' firmware issue.... obviously it isn't as it's a widespread problem over many car makers and audio makers. Clearly this is not yet on Apple's fix list..... personally my iPhone 6 purchase is cancelled and I'm switching to a rival phone.

Oct 10, 2014 8:44 AM in response to GarththeGrey

I have the same problem with iPhone5 and 2014 Mazda 3 after "upgrading" to 8.02

Bluetooth kind of works, but music volume is extremely low, and no functionality in general is available

USB will read in playlists etc, find the first tune as expected, but it will not start playing. Sometimes I can get it to play by starting Play in the phone.

Now if any Apple salespersons or supporters try to tell you that it is an issue with the car, they are just trying to get rid of you. It is an iOS problem for sure!

Can't play music in car via usb after iOS 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.