Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8: App Store Updates Do Not Clear

In iOS 7, the apps listed in the "Available Updates" screen of the App Store will be cleared the moment updates are synced over from iTunes. However, in iOS 8.0.2, the list is not cleared after being synced with the updates.

Even if this is something new in iOS 8, where the updates will be listed for a few days or weeks, the badge still shows the number of updates available when the apps have been updated.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 11:41 PM

57 replies

Sep 27, 2014 1:29 AM in response to lsylionel

I have the same problem on an iPhone 5 running 8.0.0 - the badge number does not clear, and the Apps are listed with "Open" (not Update).

Is this bug fixed with 8.0.2?

I am planning to wait at least a week for updating to the current version after the disaster with 8.0.1

I could get the number to be more correct after removing/re-installing one of affected App's via iTunes. But this is a bad work around.

Sep 29, 2014 7:11 AM in response to lsylionel

Hi lsylionel,

thanks for the info regarding 8.0.2.

In my case, the problem disappeared when another App was detected that became available as a new version. The badge count switched to "1", which fits the list of App's with a new version.

Seemingly, you also did use iTunes to update, and not direct (WLAN-based) updating on the iPhone itself. I would assume that more people would complain if the problem would also show up after over-the-air updating. When I updated the single App directly on the iPhone-5, the red badge disappeared as expected. Now, I will wait for more App's with new versions ans see if I can reproduce the "updatable App's badge number glitch".

Oct 5, 2014 3:48 AM in response to bwadma

The bug seems to be reproducable:

- updating App's via iTunes (11.4. (18) on a Mac with 10.9.5) does not reset the "updatable App's badge number" on the App Store icon on iOS 8.0 and also not on 8.0.2

- as soon as new (at least one) "updatable App's" are detected by the "App Store" app, the badge number is reset, and the App's transferred from iTunes are removed from the list of "recently updated apps"

- the problem does not show up if App updates are installed "over the air" (WLAN)

I will report to http://www.apple.com/feedback/

The more people do so, the better the chance that the bug will be fixed.

Oct 14, 2014 10:41 AM in response to Rivahboy

But one needs to perform this trick (set app updates to automatic then turn it off) each time after updating App's via iTunes - I do not like that.

It would be much better if Apple fixes the problem - and for this reason it would be great if everyone who detects the problem would report here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

The more people do so, the better the chance that the bug will be fixed soon.

Oct 19, 2014 2:11 AM in response to Tigervision

A little more complex, but essentially also in my case the wrong badge number does not go away. When I switch on "automatic App updates", the wrong number disappears. But as soon as I open the App Store app, the wrong number re-appears.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.0.2

Lets hope for a fix in 8.1 - tomorrow we should see.

The issue is wide spread since this thread has more than 1000 views.

iOS 8: App Store Updates Do Not Clear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.