Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8 app store updates badge icon not resetting

my iphone 6 is showing on the app store badge icon there are 7 updates available. Opening the app and going to updates, they all appear as OPEN.

I cannot get rid of the icon without resorting to disabling it via notifications under settings.

I updated to ios 8.02 and it still appears. Also tried the trick of tapping a TAB 10 times to refresh the app but the update count reappears soon after.

Have tried to discover any other solution but none available. Dont know if this has been reported to Apple as a bug.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 27, 2014 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 2:00 PM

I have the same problem on (2) 5S phones and a ipad 2. I sync with iTunes they show as updates when I open the App Store then after a few seconds switch to open. if you close out the App Store App and reopen and hit "Download All" before it switches to open the device will re download the Apps and the badge on the icon will disappear until there are more available updates then the issue repeats unless you download the App update on the phone or ipad. This appears to be a glitch of sorts don't know if Apple is aware or not but it's enough to be annoying.

115 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2014 2:00 PM in response to victormuscles

I have the same problem on (2) 5S phones and a ipad 2. I sync with iTunes they show as updates when I open the App Store then after a few seconds switch to open. if you close out the App Store App and reopen and hit "Download All" before it switches to open the device will re download the Apps and the badge on the icon will disappear until there are more available updates then the issue repeats unless you download the App update on the phone or ipad. This appears to be a glitch of sorts don't know if Apple is aware or not but it's enough to be annoying.

Oct 4, 2014 8:19 AM in response to victormuscles

I tried to report as bug but the bug site was down. I'm becoming so disgusted with Apple lately. The test for me for Apple then and Apple now is, could my Mom work through this issue. She is in her 70's and a few years ago was able to use Apple products, because "They just Worked" more and more Apple just doesn't work.

Software quality control is almost non-existant these days. Nearly every app I get has bug fixes weekly. iOS 8.0 immediately launched to 8.0.1 which was then immediately pulled because it caused bigger issues, now iOS8.0.2 has more bugs as well.

WHAT the HECK is going on Apple?

Oct 15, 2014 6:52 AM in response to victormuscles

Add me to the list of people experiencing this problem. In my case, I thought this started because 4 of the apps required iOS 8.0.2 and I hadn't updated my iPhone 6 yet. But even after updating to 8.0.2 this morning, I still have this update notification being displayed.

It's frustrating, to say the least. If anyone figures out a real solution, please post it here. Thanks!

Oct 16, 2014 1:14 AM in response to victormuscles

Hello … firstly I am not technology minded & don't know the jargon … just gone from iPhone 3 to 6 !!

Solved this problem by: Settings icon, choose iTunes & App Store turn off all selections for automatic updates

Turn phone off & on.

Then reactivated the automatic update selections.

Problem was solved.

Hope I explained process clearly enough.

Oct 21, 2014 10:27 AM in response to webraider

Yeah, I have tried to toggle auto update downloads too, this didn't work, upgrade to Yosemite didn't fix it nor did upgrade to iPhone 6... The above comment is true, in that, if you update on the phone, the badge does reflect the update, if you update via iTunes, the badge does NOT change, however the app you updated DOES change to the newer version...

Oct 25, 2014 7:02 AM in response to allenmoray

Add me to the list. Yep, icon doesn't clear if you update via itunes (which is the only way I like updating). This just started on my four phones last week.

Clears if you update OTA. So annoying that it says pending update, yet there is an open button next to it.

I'm worried it has to do with itunes profile.... which is scary to think about with allt he stuff I have in itunes.

ios 8 app store updates badge icon not resetting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.