Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Drains in iOS 8.0.2 iPhone 5s

Yesterday i updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 8.0.2, since then my battery has drained really fast its gone from 100% to 80% in 10 minutes. I called Apple support and they ran a diagnostic test on the phone but nothing showed up.Does anyone have any solutions to why this is happening?, i always force close the apps after i finish using them so i honestly don't know why this is happening.Is it just iOS 8? if so can it be resolved in the next Apple software update?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2014 11:55 AM

I have the same exact problem with my iPhone 5s. Since upgrading from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8 and now 8.0.2, my battery drains very fast and the phone heats up more than ever.

Like you, I close all my apps on a regular basis, but the problem persists. Here are some of the steps I tried that did not solve the problem (not listed in any particular order):

- turned off Location Services for apps that don't need my location (which is most of them)

- turned off Background App Refresh for apps that don't need it (which is most of them)

- performed several hard reboots and regular power off/restarts

- turned off all System Services except Find My iPhone

- turned offSend Last Locationfor Find My iPhone

- turned off Share My Location

- reduced the screen brightness

- set Auto-lock to 1 minute

- changed my email from Push to Fetch every 30 minutes

- synced with the latest version of iTunes on my laptop

After all those steps (and probably a few I can't remember), my battery is still draining way too fast and the phone is heating up too much. It is unacceptable. I need Apple to release a fix for this ASAP.

162 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2014 11:55 AM in response to dawud22

I have the same exact problem with my iPhone 5s. Since upgrading from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8 and now 8.0.2, my battery drains very fast and the phone heats up more than ever.

Like you, I close all my apps on a regular basis, but the problem persists. Here are some of the steps I tried that did not solve the problem (not listed in any particular order):

- turned off Location Services for apps that don't need my location (which is most of them)

- turned off Background App Refresh for apps that don't need it (which is most of them)

- performed several hard reboots and regular power off/restarts

- turned off all System Services except Find My iPhone

- turned offSend Last Locationfor Find My iPhone

- turned off Share My Location

- reduced the screen brightness

- set Auto-lock to 1 minute

- changed my email from Push to Fetch every 30 minutes

- synced with the latest version of iTunes on my laptop

After all those steps (and probably a few I can't remember), my battery is still draining way too fast and the phone is heating up too much. It is unacceptable. I need Apple to release a fix for this ASAP.

Oct 1, 2014 9:32 AM in response to dbmussi

Exactly same problem here.

I disabled everything (LTE, WIFI, BLUETOOTH, AIRDROP, GPS and ALL LOCATION BASED OPTIONS, BACKUP, FIND MY IPHONE, BACKGROUND DATA, screen brightness is in minimum with auto-dimm disabled...). And it is still draining my battery like ****.

- Using iPhone 5s in airplane mode while listening to music seems to reduce a lot the power drain.

Myself (and most people) can't afford to be without the iPhone during work.

Please fix ASAP!

Oct 2, 2014 11:03 AM in response to dawud22

I had installed iOS 8 and all was great! Battery actually seemed to last longer. I know these are "subjective" perceptions, but I think we all can tell if the percentage of battery lingers longer on a set amount, or precipitates every time you do anything on the phone.

Then, I installed iOS 8.0.2 after skipping 8.0.1 given the many reports of issues. My battery has been a disaster ever since. I cannot keep my phone open more than a minute without seeing the percentage drop dramatically. It's a miracle I get to 5 PM with my phone alive. I used to be able to get home and not charge my phone till bed time and with plenty of battery left.

I have not changed my habits either.

To me, it seems like it has to do with the Health App, since my battery was fine with iOS 8 and that is the only functionality I am aware of that was activated after iOS 8. This is just speculation, so I HOPE THEY FIX THIS QUICK.

The same thing is happening to my coworkers, and I recall similar issued of battery drain last year when updating to iOS 7 - which were eventually fixed. I hope this is fixed soon too.

Oct 2, 2014 12:16 PM in response to dawud22

I'm quite sure they know this is an issues which needs to be resolved.

Someone somewhere screwed up. My phone has been acting funny ever since I upgraded from 7.1.1 to 8.0 to 8.0.2.

Battery is a major issue. I have to constantly walk around with a charger. I can barely hold a charge for 4 hours where I was averagely holding the charge for 8-9 hours.

I don't see a point in closing all services when I would like to use these features and they are provided with the phone.

Like these phones are not cheap in comparison with what's available in the market and such major issues are to be dealt with as severity 1.

Anyhow I hope they resolve this issue asap.

Oct 2, 2014 7:20 PM in response to dawud22

Just thought that I would add my two cents ... I am experiencing the same battery drain issues as the rest of you. This is the first time I have experienced so much difficulty with an iOS update. The battery drain is actually the least of my concerns right now since I can't open some apps, download from the App Store/iTunes, or go two minutes without iCloud asking for my password. Still, the battery drain is an issue that needs to be solved. Otherwise, there may be a mass exodus of Apple users.

Oct 3, 2014 8:23 AM in response to pete1leeds01

I had installed iOS 8 and all was great! Battery actually seemed to last longer. I know these are "subjective" perceptions, but I think we all can tell if the percentage of battery lingers longer on a set amount, or precipitates every time you do anything on the phone.

Then, I installed iOS 8.0.2 after skipping 8.0.1 given the many reports of issues. My battery has been a disaster ever since. I cannot keep my phone open more than a minute without seeing the percentage drop dramatically. It's a miracle I get to 5 PM with my phone alive. I used to be able to get home and not charge my phone till bed time and with plenty of battery left.

I have not changed my habits either.

To me, it seems like it has to do with the Health App, since my battery was fine with iOS 8 and that is the only functionality I am aware of that was activated after iOS 8. This is just speculation, so I HOPE THEY FIX THIS QUICK.

The same thing is happening to my coworkers, and I recall similar issued of battery drain last year when updating to iOS 7 - which were eventually fixed. I hope this is fixed soon too.

Oct 3, 2014 8:53 AM in response to maumaubis

When I updated to iOS 8, everything was okay for me, too. The issues began with 8.0.2. Before the update, I would still have 20-40% battery left at night after using my phone all day. Since the update, I am lucky if my phone hasn't died by the time I go to bed at night. Also, the phone gets hot if I use it for an extended period of time (i.e. taking pictures). I haven't heard anything about a software update being released anytime soon ...

Battery Drains in iOS 8.0.2 iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.