Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 iOS 8 storage being used when streaming videos (TV Shows) no way to delete or find the videos? Am I missing something?

I am using a 32GB iPad2 with iOS 8.0.2 loaded on it. I stream iTunes purchased TV show videos on the device through the video app which I think is supposed to be streaming the video but it seems to be using up storage space anyway. When I go to manage storage I don't even see the video icon there to see what videos are there. The only way I can clean up space is to reset the iPad. This is too time consuming and I would think there is an easier way to deal with this issue? I do little else than watch video so it is the only app that can be using that much storage. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

iPad 2, iOS 8, 32 GB

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 10:29 AM

iTunes doesn't stream video.

You are downloading it.

56 replies

Oct 1, 2014 10:40 AM in response to MaxSmart86

iTunes does not stream. when you buy a show, it will download the complete episode to the iPad. You can choose to begin watching the video as it downloads, but it will still download the entire video to the iPad regardless.

They will then Appear in the Videos App for you to watch offline when you need to. you can delete them form there as well, by holding your finger over the episode until the ✖ shows up. Tap on it to delete the selected Episode.

Alternatively you can go into Settings->General->Usage->Storage->Manage Storage->Videos->Name of Episode. Tap on the Edit button and then on the red ➖ next to the episode to delete it.

Oct 1, 2014 10:58 AM in response to MaxSmart86

Thanks Phil, when I go to manage storage as you describe Video is not a choice. When I go to Settings->About it shows there are 52 videos but won't let me drill down in any way. Also when I look at the episodes in the Video app it still shows the cloud , I know this does not matter though because when a video is watched it is downloaded. I get that, what I don't get is that the visibility and opportunity to delete seem to have vanished for me after the upgrade. I will try downloading an episode already watched to see if it shows up in the manage storage screen, if it does I'll then delete it and see if it frees up space.

Oct 1, 2014 6:08 PM in response to Phil0124

I Am having the same problem. The video app isn't showing up in manage memory. If I click on the little cloud to download a video the video app will show up there, though, it only shows the video I downloaded by clicking the cloud and doesn't show the videos I downloaded but still show the cloud next to them. The videos are definitely taking up a ton of space on my iPad. I changed it to only show the videos downloaded to this iPad and the videos I watched still show up. Also, a ton of my space is used. This is a serious issue. There are gigs of space I can't use until they fix this. I've also tried opening the video app and deleting them there with no luck. I'm using an iPad 3 64gig.

Oct 2, 2014 6:16 AM in response to mick-ee

Unfortunately I had the reset my device and delete all content then restore it from iCloud to get the space back. When finished I had 24.6 GB avIlable. I downloaded (pressing on the cloud) one season of a show and now have have 6,9 GB left. I will watch these shows and see if there is any change and see if I can delete them and free up space. If the space frees up which I suspect it will I will then watch the same season by just pressing on the show preview picture. Then I'll see if they show up under the video selection of managed storage, however I am inclined to think they will not be there. I'll keep this thread posted.

Oct 2, 2014 6:32 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil, this is exactly the problem, when watching shows iPads always download the video. When using iOS7 regardless of how the video was started it would always show up under the video selection of storag management, thus allowing th user to delete it and make space available for other videos or whatever. Now with iOS8 the videos do not behave the same way. If you download by pressing thof cloud the fil can be found under the video selection of manage storage, but if you select just the picture(icon) for a he show it will play and take up space but will not show up under the video selection of the managed storage and the user will hav no known way to delete the file or files. Clearly there are other people have th same issue. I would like to see someon from Apple try to duplicate what i've posted here using the same hardware and iOS version to determine if this is actually a bug or if I am done my something wrong.

Oct 2, 2014 9:18 AM in response to HerbertPotts

HerbertPotts wrote:

I Am having the same problem. The video app isn't showing up in manage memory. If I click on the little cloud to download a video the video app will show up there, though, it only shows the video I downloaded by clicking the cloud and doesn't show the videos I downloaded but still show the cloud next to them. The videos are definitely taking up a ton of space on my iPad. I changed it to only show the videos downloaded to this iPad and the videos I watched still show up. Also, a ton of my space is used. This is a serious issue. There are gigs of space I can't use until they fix this. I've also tried opening the video app and deleting them there with no luck. I'm using an iPad 3 64gig.

If they have the cloud icon next to them, they aren't downloaded to your device, so there is nothing to delete, and they aren't taking up space. What does it say under Available Storage in Settings->General->Usage?

MaxSmart86 wrote:

Phil, this is exactly the problem, when watching shows iPads always download the video. When using iOS7 regardless of how the video was started it would always show up under the video selection of storag management, thus allowing th user to delete it and make space available for other videos or whatever. Now with iOS8 the videos do not behave the same way. If you download by pressing thof cloud the fil can be found under the video selection of manage storage, but if you select just the picture(icon) for a he show it will play and take up space but will not show up under the video selection of the managed storage and the user will hav no known way to delete the file or files. Clearly there are other people have th same issue. I would like to see someon from Apple try to duplicate what i've posted here using the same hardware and iOS version to determine if this is actually a bug or if I am done my something wrong.

Just tried this myself, and it seems its doing something different when played directly from the picture. It does indeed play, but it does not show up as used space anywhere.

Can't seem to find any explanation for this anywhere.

I guess for now, it would be better to just tap the cloud icon so you can delete it afterwards.

Perhaps it would be useful to report it as a Bug to Apple.

http://apple.com/feedback

Choose Bug Report as the Feedback type.

I think I'll do just that.

Oct 2, 2014 10:55 AM in response to Phil0124

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem. I watch videos by playing directly from the picture icon, and now I can't delete any videos. My iPad is now full :-(

iPad2 wifi, iOS 8.0.0 (and problem still exists now I upgraded to iOS 8.0.2)

My symptoms:

1) Videos downloaded by clicking on the cloud icon can be deleted by ( i ) swiping right in the video app and hitting delete, or (ii) in Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage, videos appears as a category and you can delete content there.

2) Videos played by clicking the picture (i.e. watched instantly, not downloaded first, then watched), neither of the above methods work.

Some other observations:

1) If I connect my iPad to iTunes, I can see that the iPad is filled with data type "Other", not "Video" as I would expect. There is no way to alter this content via iTunes.

2) In Settings > Videos, even if I turn "Show all videos" to OFF, and then I go to Videos app, the videos I have watched recently are still visible. This indicate that they are downloaded to my iPad. They also play fine even if I turn off my Wifi. I can categorically say that the content is stored locally on my iPad. HOWEVER, they also still show the cloud download symbol next to them, which as Phil0124 says above shouldn't happen if they are downloaded.

So, to me it seems that watching by clicking on the picture is downloading the content, but not properly registering it as Video content. So then it can't be deleted.

I have logged a bug report. Couldn't fit all this detail in the report though...

Hopefully someone can help fix this!

Oct 6, 2014 8:52 PM in response to MaxSmart86

I thought I was crazy. Before updating to iOS 8, I was able to delete videos downloaded to my iPad to free up space. But after the iOS8 update, I could never determine how to do that and thus my storage space is slowly getting filled and I have no way to delete the videos. Glad someone else has noticed this too. Frankly, I'm surprised not more have inquired about this issue.

Oct 8, 2014 3:01 PM in response to MaxSmart86

I have an iPhone 5, and I have that same issue too. In iOS 7, you could delete those videos that were "streaming" in Settings, but in iOS 8, you can't. There's actually an app called iBrowse you can download on your computer, and when you plug your device into the computer, you can actually access those videos. They should be in the CloudAssets folder. You just delete them off of there, and they should free up space on your device. It's a lot easier than doing a hard reset.

Oct 12, 2014 6:22 PM in response to MaxSmart86

I ran into this issue this evening... I have an iPad Air (16 GB) with almost no space left. My sons were streaming videos in iOS 8.0.2 and now my iPad is practically out of space (they were streaming a TV show whereas they were hitting the play button instead of iCloud download button). Everyone one of my videos on my iPad had the iCloud download icon.

In Setting -->General --> Usage, there was no videos that I could delete, however, under Settting -->General --> About my iPad showed 17 videos on the device.

Here is the work around that fixed this issue and reclaimed my space. This works in iOS 8 (hopefully iOS 7 as well).

1. Setting --> Video --> Turn off Show All Videos (this setting is key because once enabled it only shows which videos were downloaded to the device)

2. Go to Videos. With #1 turned off, the only videos that show are the ones that downloaded to the device.

3. Under Videos, I had 17 TV shows listed all with the iCloud icon (as in to download the video). I clicked on the iCloud icon and the download progress started.

Once the video was downloaded (or re-downloaded), you will be able to swipe to delete it out of the Video app. Repeat for every video that is shown.

I reclaimed all of my space. It is a hassle, but at least it works and you don't have to reset your device.

I hope this helps... This is definitely a bug. I also think its related to something being watched/unwatched.

Dave

iPad 2 iOS 8 storage being used when streaming videos (TV Shows) no way to delete or find the videos? Am I missing something?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.