Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to locate Office 2011 Autorecovery folder in Application support folder

Dear all,

I am in desperate need for your help. I closed an excel file I worked on for hours and am unable to locate it. I know it is in the Office 2011 Autorecovery Folder, since I can see it in shaded when I try to "save as" another excel file which was also recovered and is in this folder.

I've searched answers on this forum and see that you can supposedly find auto-recovered documents using this path

Click Finder > Go > Hold down the Option key and choose Library > Application Support > Microsoft > Office > Office 2011 AutoRecovery.

However, in my situation, I get stuck in the last step: I am not able to see Office 2011 AutoRecovery in the Office folder. Can somebody save me?

Thanks so much,

Lucile

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 3, 2014 6:28 AM

32 replies

Jun 27, 2017 11:23 PM in response to lulugingembre

Just in case anyone finds their way here by Google, as I did looking for how to find the Office 2016 autosave files...

You can locate them by going clicking the Go menu in the Finder, choosing Go To Folder and pasting:

~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery/

in the box.

You may need to rename any files you find there as .doc instead of .docx if they won't open properly.

Maybe you can try uFlysoft Data Recovery for Mac, it can recover LOST DATA on Mac only in three steps:

Step 1. Launch the software to scan the device where your files deleted

Step 2: Preview the scan result files and make mark if it is the one you find

Step 3: Recover files

Hope this helps someone

Jan 21, 2015 10:12 PM in response to mareynoldsaustin

I can get to my buried folder (I turned hidden folders on on my Mac a while back), but there is no "Office 2011 Autorecovery" folder under "Office". The only folder in that path is "User Templates." I checked Word's options and Autorecovery was already checked, so it should have been saving copies for me. I have plenty of files on my machine that I've worked with on off and on. There definitely should be some autosaved files somewhere. The one I am currently missing, I'm heartsick about the loss of time and having to redo. I usually do a pretty good job of Ctrl+S on a regular basis, but in this case, I hadn't thought to do that and Word crashed on me more than an hour into editing this file. Argh!

Maybe it's time to find a new word processor. Word 2011 leaves much to be desired.

I have Yosemite, btw, in case the lack of autorecovery files is specific to my OS version.

Jan 31, 2015 6:26 PM in response to Joyus1

I am a novice but I had a version of this problem and found the information at this link incredibly helpful in dealing with how office 2011 AutoRecovery is hidden in the current version of OSX. Hope this helps you.

http://macmanus.nl/2014/09/15/fixed-where-are-my-office-2011-autorecovery-files/

Nowadays, the AutoRecovery-folder is located in an entirely different location on your Mac. The correct path is this :

~/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Office 2011 AutoRecovery

But there is yet another tiny hurdle to get to it : in the current version of OSX, the user’s Library-folder is a hidden folder. So if you want to access it, the easiest way to do so is :

– in the Finder, click on “Go” in the top menu bar

– when the pulldown menu appears, press the ALT-key on your keyboard (a.k.a. OPTION-key) and an extra option named “Library” will appear in the pulldown menu

– while holding the ALT-key, click on “Library” and your personal (hidden) Library-folder will open in the Finder

– there you can navigate to Application Support–>Microsoft–>Office to find the “Office 2011 AutoRecovery”-folder you are looking for

Feb 25, 2015 5:13 PM in response to MLnash

The above suggestion works! The previous suggestions that direct you to go to the Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Office 2011 Autorecovery does not work. The autorecovery folder does not "exist" here. MLnash's suggestion works, and it will direct you to the autorecovery folder we are all searching for! Thank you very much, MLnash! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Jun 2, 2015 1:53 AM in response to lulugingembre

Many thanks to you and to the original problem solver.

The solution offered worked fine. But WHY OH WHY DOES APPLE DO THESE THINGS AND CREATE THESE PROBLEMS?

The problem occurred because my computer crashed and when it restarted the default save option in Excel was this auto recovery folder.

So the moral is to check that it hasn't decided to chenge the save folder for you, or you will be tearing your hair out.

Jun 7, 2015 3:01 AM in response to MLnash

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! My computer crashed, and I couldn't find my files. I restarted/recreated from an old saved version, and then those files disappeared too. Finally I noticed that I was saving to the "auto recovery" file and so my files weren't even saving into documents like they always have. I looked through TONS of threads on how to find the files in the auto recovery mode, and this is the ONLY one that worked at all!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Unable to locate Office 2011 Autorecovery folder in Application support folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.