Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps disappeared from "Use Cellular Data For" after iOS 8.0.2

Normally, when you go to Settings->Cellular Data, you can see a list of all apps that use data, and you are able to turn cellular data on or off for each app individually.

I had been using this feature since iOS 7 without problem, until I upgraded to iOS 8.0.2.

Now, only "FaceTime" and "Passbook" appear under this list. All other apps, including Mail, Safari, etc. have disappeared.

What's worse, apps for which I had turned cellular data for---such as YouTube---cannot be turned back on, because they have disappeared from this list. Therefore, I am permanently unable to use YouTube without Wifi because of this bug. The same goes for every app for which I had turned off cellular data.

I tried restoring the iPhone (it's an iPhone 5), to no avail.

Does anyone else have this issue, or is it a weird bug with just my phone?

Posted on Oct 5, 2014 9:37 PM

23 replies

Feb 13, 2017 4:38 AM in response to Pausanias

I am with the same problem on iOS 10.2.1, and as I researched, apple doens´t care too much for this problem, I have no idea what to do now, if I wait for the next software update or try to erase everything in my phone and start all over again, but it'd awful as I have this iPhone 6 for almost two years, and everything is there.

May 7, 2017 4:25 PM in response to alxlna

I reset to factory mode and this did not resolve the issue; only some of the apps reappeared under cellular settings. This was a week ago, and I haven't backed up my phone since b/c I was hoping I could find a solution, and back up without a full loss of data.

In the meantime, I'm back to paper & pencil calendaring, record keeping, etc. until I decide to stick w/ a phone that cannot take further updates, cannot keep up with professional and personal tasks, and might function if I delete and restore all apps, or shelling out an outrageous amount of money for a newer phone, knowing that I'll face the same situation in as early as 2 years if I choose the iPhone 6.

I'm posting all of this for 2 reasons: one, so that others know that restoring does not resolve the issue, and two, to vent frustration about paying so much for something that will become obsolete so quickly.

Three weeks ago, text messages and contact names disappeared from the phone. I googled the problem and realized there was an update (the phone didn't notify me as it had with previous updates). The phone wouldn't take the update. I deleted apps to increase storage to make room for the update, and after several other troubleshooting attempts (for example, updating from iTunes instead of wireless), I took the phone to the Genius Bar. They were able to push the update through but not resolve the issue of the apps not showing under the cellular settings.

A follow-up call from Apple advised resetting the network. No success. Next was a resetting of the phone, which lost more settings than I was told/realized. Then came a transfer to a supervisor, who advised restoring the OS on the computer. This didn't work, and now the phone wouldn't back up. 3 hours later, I was advised to contact Sprint.

After an hour with Sprint, I was advised to take the phone in to a service center to have them back up and restore the phone.

Before going to Sprint, I went back to the Genius Bar who checked the OS and the update, retried both resets, and suggested restoring the phone to factory mode. They also suggested the problem might be with an app.

Sprint checked the phone and said it wasn't a Sprint issue.

Apple also said that the iPhone 5 will not be supported with further updates...

Oct 9, 2014 1:42 PM in response to Pausanias

I've got an update. I went to the Apple store and they said the two options were either to erase the phone and set it up as a new phone, or hope that the next iOS update will resolve this. Restoring the phone won't work, because whatever corrupted file is causing this gets backed up with the iOS backup.

Since I don't want to set up my phone from scratch, I guess I will be waiting for iOS 8.1 to see if it fixes it.

Glad to see there are others who are experiencing this and I'm not losing my mind. Is there any one for whom "Use Cellular Data For" is working properly on iOS 8.0.2?

Jan 13, 2015 9:53 AM in response to jah_mez69

Hi jah_mez69,

No, I did not solve this problem, and it persists in iOS 8.1.2.

Apple have a reluctance to take bugs affecting smaller groups of users seriously. With regard to this bug, their attitude is that we should just erase our phones and set them up from scratch. This is something I refuse to do.

I did open a new bug about this in the bug tracker (bug #18732898). It hasn't been closed yet, which means at the very least, they have not decided to totally ignore this bug forever. However, don't get your hopes up for a fix.

I have learned to live with it, but it has pushed me closer to choosing Android for my next phone. I am fairly confident that iOS software bugs are far less important to Apple than developing smart watches and payment systems and getting the next "hot" feature out the door.

May 22, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Pausanias

I'm having the same issue with my daughters 5c. I updated the phone to iOS 8.3 and completely reset the phone. The upgrade failed (as usual) so I had to do a complete restore and setup as a new phone. That didn't solve the issue. Under "Use Cellular Data for" only Facetime and Passbook show up. No other apps are listed.

Her phone has been using excessive data, and disabling all cellular data isn't a fix, it's a crappy workaround that isn't acceptable. My family has 5 iPhones, and only the 5c uses excessive data and only the 5c won't allow me to control cellular usage for individual apps.

May 22, 2015 10:18 AM in response to AlwaysBreaking

@AlwaysBreaking I may have stumbled onto the solution. I think each app needs to be used or engaged with the cellular connection before it is registered in the Cellular usage database for the phone. So if you have a newly refreshed phone you may not see any apps until they have each been used with the cellular connection. I noticed that all of my apps are now listed in the Cellular usage tab and are available for switching off because I have used and fully setup each app i.e. logged in, configured settings and preferences etc. Let me know if that solves the problem. I think it just takes a bit for the phone to register each app in the cellular database but only after they have been opened, set up, and used with the cellular connection. That's my theory anyway🙂

May 22, 2015 9:40 PM in response to soulbrother77

@soulbrother77 - so far that doesn't seem to work. I tried opening a couple of apps, but they never showed up under "Use Cellular Data For". I'm going to let my daughter use the phone for a day or so and see if they show up. In the meantime, I'll be forking over more money to AT&T to upgrade my data plan in the hope that I don't go over and get hit with overages charges, like I did last month.

Apps disappeared from "Use Cellular Data For" after iOS 8.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.