Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 black front camera dislocated

I have owned this new iPhone black since the launch date. I have noticed that the front camera is dislocated (used the phone very carefully - with skin and a screen protector since day 1). Camera is fully functional though - however I noticed that the camera is not aligned properly with the screen.

Does any one have or noticed similar problem?

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 8:02 PM

44 replies

Oct 10, 2014 3:14 PM in response to deepakksr

Hey deepakksr,

I, too, am experiencing this exact issue and I also believe that it is a physcial misalignment of the front camera lens within the iPhone 6 itself. i have shown this to a few of my buddies but they don't seem to notice what I'm taking about. Glad to know someone else sees a problem like this and knows it is not normal. Would you mind sharing with me how your Genius appointment went? What was the conclusion?

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2014 3:45 PM in response to IpodManiac4Life

Hi -

I am glad? that someone else has this issue. As you said, it is physical misalignment of front camera lens. I went to genius bar and the "genius" gave me a non-retail phone (from the small box). I refused to take it - owing to my past experiences (Apple iPhone 5 original one had home button issues and got a replacement and it had terrible battery issues).

Long story short - Geniuses and the managers were very rude - At some point in time, I was told to return the phone if I do not like it. I was about to and I was told that I had to pay penalty to At&T (and I asked why - because I am just returning phone not the contract - I am happy with my iPhone 5). The manager said, my options are limited - live with misaligned phone, or take the non-retail phone. I told him that this is unfair since this is not my mistake - its production issue. I would be happy if genius would align the camera and give the same phone back. Genius and manager said that cannot happen.

They said the non-retail ones are exactly same ones as the retail ones and I asked them why the model # was different and they told me that it something apple controls and I have to talk to Apple.

Finally, I gave up. The "genius" just took my phone (did not even give me time to erase the phone - gave me new one). He was connecting it to iTunes and I was like wait a second - this phone has so many scratches on surface - and he was like what ever dude - I have so many people waiting in line.

I was looking at new phone and he was asking me to sign some repair authorization and I told him that I would not until I am satisfied with the new phone. He went away and finally the manager came back to me. I told him the whole story and he was like - we took care of you and that's it. U may leave now. I told him that I have not signed. He told me that its not needed. (How come?). And seconds later I received an email saying I have authorized the repair - clearly - if apple opens the case, my signature would not be there. Again who cares? I am just one in millions that (potentially may) get screwed by apple.

Such a horrifying experience.

To Apple - Please give some training to your "retail geniuses" on how to deal with customers. This is my final Apple product.

Oct 17, 2014 6:19 PM in response to gail from maine

I know several people (7 of the 9 owners who I've asked) whose iPhone 6's are exhibiting the exact same problem, including my own. Here are some pictures. The close-up is one I took of my phone with a USB microscope. The other is a photo taken of my friend's phone. It seems the the severity of the issue gets worse over time – for example I've had my phone since launch day and it's pretty bad at this point. Others who got the iPhone more recently are showing only slightly. I know mine didn't look like this when I opened it for the first time (I would have definitely noticed) so I guess the camera is progressively shifting. It's not affecting picture quality in any way (yet) so I'm in no hurry to get it fixed/replaced, but it's pretty concerning that this is happening on such a premium product. And on so many, too (from what I've seen). It looks sloppy and makes the iPhone look cheap. I wonder if Apple will acknowledge this eventually.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 17, 2014 7:27 PM in response to FasmTrout

It seems like this is, in fact, a serious iPhone 6 issue. There is an entire reddit thread on the topic as well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2iz6p6/iphone_6_front_camera_has_shifted/

It is quite annoying because typically I would go to the Apple Genius Bar as soon as I noticed a manufacturing error such as this, but I am afraid, from what I have been reading, that I will simply be given a new iPhone 6 replacement that will do the same exact thing. Not to mention the process of restoring and setting up a new iPhone is very time-consuming (yes, even when simply restoring from a backup). It does not seem to be causing any problems with the iPhone's front-facing camera quality at the moment but I had this problem with a previous iPhone 5 that ended up covering the entire front-facing camera lens. Lets hope that there is an explanation and fix to this issue on Apple's behalf very, very soon.

If anybody has any further Genius appointments that they made for this issue, please share your experience and what the Genius said.

iPhone 6 black front camera dislocated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.