Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 iOS 8.0.2:Trashcan missing to delete iMessages or SMS. Camera replaces trashcan on left corner.If restart, works once, then trashcan replaced by camera. Problem began after update.

iPhone 5 iOS 8.0.2:Trashcan missing to delete iMessages or SMS. Camera replaces trashcan on left corner.If restart, works once, then trashcan replaced by camera. Problem began after update.

iPhone 5, iOS 8, update 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 12:13 PM

34 replies

Oct 11, 2014 7:56 AM in response to Elle305

Hi Elle305,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

The trash can for deleting individual messages is now under the More option.

Manage conversations - iPhone

Delete a message. Touch and hold a message or attachment, tap More, select additional items if desired, then tap User uploaded file.

Delete a conversation. In the Messages list, swipe the conversation to the left, then tap Delete.

Take care,

Nubz

Jan 7, 2015 12:27 PM in response to Elle305

I have been having this problem as well. I can get the trash can to show up at first but then it goes away. I close the message icon and logout of it, then open again and I can get the trash can to show up to deleted another 20 or 30 messages, then have to go through closing out the program to make it work again. VERY frustrating. I also have to delete the messages on my phone and do a separate delete for my iPad. HELP!!!!

Jan 7, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Pketring

Hi Guys

Been glancing at this thread and am somewhat confused - sorry I am a little slow at times - please bear with me

What are you trying to do?

A. Delete one or two text exchanges from a long conversation with one individual?

OR

B. Delete several entire conversations each with a different person from a long list - at the same time?

Thanks

Jan 12, 2015 4:26 AM in response to ManSinha

A - Within a long conversation with one person. However I am deleting more than one ot two, but there are exchanges within messages that I want to keep. I admit I let it get out of hand but I could only delete strings of convo two times before I would have to recycle (close messages and sign off then open messages again). It became a VERY laborious process. Thank you so much for answering the thread!!!

Feb 1, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Elle305

I agree. I had this problem as soon as I downloaded IOS 8 with my I Phone 5. I just got an I Phone 6 and the problem persists. I have numerous friends who have the same issue- all having downloaded IOS 8. The only solution now is to close Message and reopen it. Then the trash can reappears briefly but disappears again so you must close Message each time to get the trash can briefly back.

I have been to the Genius bar and they tried a reset but it didn't help. They said there is a bug in the IOS 8 and that it would be fixed but that was months ago!

I wish there were some way to let Apple know that there is a problem with Messaging in IOS 8!

Mar 1, 2015 5:38 AM in response to judysain

WoW! I can't believe i finally found someone with the same problem i am having. The minute i downloaded iOS 8 to my flawlessly operating iPhone 5C, the trash can disappeared after using it once or twice. Hard closing the messages app was the only solution for months. My husband must have gotten tired of hearing about it, so he bought me the iPhone 6 in the middle of our contract (a big deal for us). Lo and behold, the issue transfered to the new phone. Verizon said iOS 8 was pre-loaded on the phone and all they did was transfer my pics, text messages, etc. (data that would not contain the problem). I find it too coincidental to think for a minute that the new phone happened to have the same problem in its operating system (sorry Verizen). So if it's not actually in the operating system, the download must have imbedded the glitch into the messages app for it to transfer from phone to phone. Has anyone with this problem tried deleting all of their text messages (who would do that)? I am currently waiting for a response from the person that has my old 5C, since it was wiped clean and iOS 8 reloaded. Wondering if it still has the problem (i will be surprised if it does).

Mar 1, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Red D. Lishes

Was at Genius Bar recently. They said it is definitely is a software glitch and that EVENTUALLY Apple will fix it with a software update.

I bought a new IPhone 6 and I still have the same issue. I also have the issue on my IPAD which started when I downloaded IOS 8. The nobly solution (and the genius people agreed) is to close Messages and reopen it each time the trash can disappears.

ANNOYING!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.