Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update app button opening app instead of updating

Using a 5S on 7.0.4. I have multiple app updates available in the store but the "Update All" button in greyed out and when I click on any of the individual app "Update" buttons, instead of updating the app, the "Update" button launches that app instead. Never had this problem before and it just started in the last day or so. Tried closing all programs, rebooting and none of them are fixing the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 7:00 AM

42 replies

Oct 12, 2014 7:06 AM in response to smithpe6

Hi smithpe6,

I have seen a number of posts reporting this issue in the past few days. I'm not sure what the cause is. I tested it on both my iPhone 4 (running 7.1.2), and my iPhone 5s (running 8.0.2), and they both worked without any issues.

Maybe the phones with the issue have an app in common? Can you list the apps you were trying to update? Have no idea if that could be contributing, but since it seems to be random, if we could find a common thread, it would help.

Also, you can update the Apps on your computer, then hook up your device and sync it to iTunes to get the updates. Not ideal, but a way to get them updated in the mean time.

Cheers,

GB

Oct 12, 2014 7:44 AM in response to gail from maine

Right now, the list that needs updates is below. I saw on another forum that someone had the same problem after they updated Angry Bird Seasons. I installed this update as well so not sure if this is linked or not. I have also tried multiple hard resets to no avail.

1 Twitter

2 Motorsport Manager

3 Viddy

4 Credit Karma Mobile

5. RedLaser - Barcode Scanner

6 OBD Fusion

7 Ibotta

8 Bad Piggies

Oct 12, 2014 1:49 PM in response to gail from maine

I've had the same issue. No reply yet to my thread, i did raise the issue with Apple but despite the promise of an answer within 24 hours i've heard nothing.

Funnily enough one of the apps i'm having trouble updating is Motorsport Manager which you mentioned above (The other is Callys Caves 2 and Goat Simulator)

I havent seen any other apps wanting an update apart from those above for the last few days which is strange as i have 500+ apps on my phone and normally i see a lot of updates over a couple of days.

Seems to be quite a big problem as i've googled this issue and lots of people are having problems. I hope this isnt a 'clever' way of getting people to update to ios8 (I'm on ios7)

Oct 12, 2014 2:58 PM in response to Paul Johns

Just an update from me. I could download the app updates through ITunes but when I sync my phone, they don't install. I restarted the app store and for all the apps I got the icloud download icon. I clicked on that icloud download icon for all the apps and they appeared to install as normal. Then after running some errands for a couple of hours and not using my phone I came back and all the apps that were showing that needed updates before are back to showing they need updates, and no updates are showing in ITunes. If I restart the app store the icloud icon appears for a split second next to each app update and then goes back to the "update" button. And again if I click on the update button, it just opens then app.

Very strange.

FYI. I deleted Motorsport Manager and it did not fix the problem. By the way this is behaving, I can't imagine it is an app issue.

Oct 12, 2014 4:45 PM in response to smithpe6

Well, the next best thing to do would be to delete them from your device, and then sync the updated versions from iTunes. With them actually deleted off the device, you will have to click the "Install" button next to each app in iTunes so it changes to "Will Install". then sync, and they should sync back to your device at that point.

Cheers,

GB

Oct 13, 2014 12:32 AM in response to gail from maine

Disappointing. Finally got a response to my issue from Apple and its the equivalent of 'have you tried rebooting ?' as in they said can you first upgrade to the latest iOS ! Surprise surprise

I'm not updating due to hearing that it runs sluggish on an iphone 4s, plus i have 500 apps installed. I'm not risking that a lot of these older games i have simply wont work.

I'll try calling Apple now but i'm stunned that with a lot of people having the same issue they arent fixing it. If this is a case of 'forcing' people to go to the latest iOS then i'm tempted even more to go the Android route

Really disappointing

Oct 13, 2014 12:51 AM in response to Paul Johns

Right i called tech support after the dire rubbish email i received.

The guy was saying if i delete the app and re-install i'll get the latest version for my iOS. It still says 'update' as that update might be specific to iOS8 so what the app store does is update to your version of iOS only. It kinda makes sense but previously all week i was updating apps which said 'ios8 hotfix etc' and once i click on 'update' it then says 'open' on the App store like its done the update.

So 'perhaps' this update is ONLY for ios8 totally but on the other hand take the games Cally Caves I and Cally Caves II which both had 'updated for ios8'. Cally Caves I updated fine, now says 'open' on the app store, Callys Caves II says 'update' and when i press update it opens the app.

So i'm confused whos right and who isnt. Frustrating

Oct 27, 2014 5:24 PM in response to Paul Johns

I am also having the same problem and it has been reported on different platforms. I still have 7.0.6 in my ipad and IT IS time Apple deals with the problem. I cannot update most of those apps that SAY they have updates.....USA TODAY and YOUTUBE being two of them. I have thirteen apps that say they have updates and they all OPEN when I hit update.

Nov 2, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Timtreasures

I've had two phone calls with Apple support and its been useless. To be fair it looks like the issue is 7.0* and not 7.1. The lady on the phone tried to recreate the problem but could update apps but she must have been on ios 7.1 (not 7.0)

Worth calling them and letting them know about this. I still cant believe Apple of all companies hasnt done anything to fix this yet

Nov 2, 2014 2:38 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

I dont think you've bothered to read the whole thread. Theres also many threads about this and many people having this issue.

Its not an issue with the developer. Its an issue with ios7.

An update appears, you press Update and it opens the app (It doesn't update it).

To update it you have to press the name of the app first and then press Update* which works. Its a bug with ios7 which has recently appeared. After the app updates it still says Update, its a bug. iOS 7.1 works, its just iOS 7.* where it does this

I shouldnt have to keep deleting apps and then re-installing them. Apple have their head in the sand about this issue. Their advice is to update to ios8 which isn't helpful. No one had this issue 2 weeks ago, Apple have changed something.

I dont want to update my iphone 4s, ios8 will run slow as anything and theres lots of issues for people with other problems. Its a pain that my phone was working fine until Apple changed something 2 weeks ago

Nov 2, 2014 2:51 PM in response to Paul Johns

Paul Johns wrote:

I dont think you've bothered to read the whole thread. Theres also many threads about this and many people having this issue.

Its not an issue with the developer. Its an issue with ios7.

An update appears, you press Update and it opens the app. You have to press the name of the app first and then press Update* which works. Its a bug with ios7 which has recently appeared. After the app updates it still says Update, its a bug

I shouldnt have to keep deleting apps and then re-installing it. Apple have their head in the sand about this issue. Their advice is to update to ios8 which isn't helpful. No one had this issue 2 weeks ago, Apple have changed something.

And whether or not an 'Update' ever shows in the App Store for a particular app is a function controlled by the developer, not Apple.

And this issue has occurred off and on for years. It's not exclusive to any particular iOS.

Update your iOS. Until you've done so and determined if it didn't resolve your issue, you can't say it wasn't 'helpful'.

Nov 3, 2014 1:28 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Well the same updates work fine on my ipad (running ios8). The updates dont work properly on my iphone 4s (running ios 7.04). I dont think its a developer issue personally, its an Apple one. Again all this only happened just a few weeks ago, before that i had no issue updating ANY of the 500 apps on my iphone.

Updating my iOS isnt helpful at all. I've an iphone 4s, ios8 runs very sluggishly on it and i know many apps wont work on ios8. I love games, buy a lot of games and many just wont be updated and wont work on ios8. So to me thats not helpful. I'm not being 'forced' to update my os and then many of my previous purchases wont work. Many devs release a game, dont make enough money and then quit, they're never going to update their apps every year for the next version of the Apple os.

Or say i've got an iphone 4 then so we can look at this from another side, i cant put ios8 on it yet it would have the same issue with the apps not updating properly. Its an Apple issue 100%. All was fine 3 weeks ago and now anyone on ios 7.04 has this problem

Update app button opening app instead of updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.