Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i got message "OS X Yosemite failed to download" "Use the Purchases page to try again."

i got message "OS X Yosemite failed to download" "Use the Purchases page to try again." when i download OS X Yosemite

i got this message when i downloaded 869.7MB and i can't download more than that

what should i do??

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 3:57 PM

😉I don't have an answer but from what others have posted about Yosemite there is plenty of server traffic that's causing delays. I would quit the download and wait for an hour or two and try again, Thats only my opinion if it happened to me😉

59 replies

Oct 17, 2014 2:18 AM in response to BossPaolo

I'm having the same problem, except the download reaches 100% and then fails. I've downloaded 6 times entirely, and even found the temporary download files buried in /private/..., which I deleted and attempted again. Failed. Fails at 100% every time and I really can't attempt again until I know the solution, because my bandwidth cap from my ISP is getting eaten away.

Oct 17, 2014 3:14 AM in response to BossPaolo

Same thing happening to me. Tried rebooting the system, It started from 0 again but again failed at 870. After clicking retry it started from 860. Have you tried doing this?

Run this command on the terminal: open $TMPDIR../C/ ... It will open up Finder in a specific folder, you select com.apple.appstore and delete this folder. If you check the size of this folder, it's exactly 860.X MB 🙂 I think this is the culprit, somehow it got corrupted and the system don't know what to do with it.

PS: I haven't tried it out yet.

Thanks,

Danish

Oct 17, 2014 10:34 AM in response to Dee-Nyce

To change your DNS to Google's DNS (DNS being the server that tells your computer what a domain like "apple.com" means in terms of numerical IP addresses) go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS.

Add either or both of the following entries into "DNS Servers":

Did it and reattempted to download, but still no solution for me.

I've already burned through about 35GB of my bandwidth cap, so I guess I'm giving up until a solution is found for my problem of it getting to 100% and then failing.

Oct 17, 2014 5:21 PM in response to sealplay

This seems to be working for me. VPN using https://www.getcloak.com/ - 30 day free trial. Crossing my fingers since the download isn't done yet.

I had a hunch that my ISP was the culprit. I cannot download anything from the appstore that had more than 1 gig filesize. Xcode, mavericks, yosemite. They would all stop and give the "failed to download....use purchase page..." error the moment the appstore starts downloading.

None of the changing DNS, emptying of cache, on/off appstore, or restarting worked.

I'm on an iMac, Maverick.

i got message "OS X Yosemite failed to download" "Use the Purchases page to try again."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.