Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microsoft word crashes on yosemite

Hi,

I'm a student, currently using microsoft office for my thesis.

I upgraded the software to OS X Yosemite and I was trying to continue to work on my thesis using microsoft word.

However, this program keeps crashing few minutes after opening the document.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 6:38 AM

what version of Word are you using? i read that 2004 doesn't work with Yosemite.

82 replies

Oct 19, 2014 7:26 AM in response to M9100009

I think I may have found a fix from one of the Yosemite beta testers who experienced the same problem (yes, both companies apparently knew about it before the launch!). It is simply a matter of taking the document out of full screen mode before closing it. I just did this with each open document, and did not get the error message. I will inform the group if it starts happening again.

You can find the beta discussion thread here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/unable-to-clo se-ms-word-document/149dd908-b419-4418-949a-6f9657209edb?auth=1

Oct 19, 2014 10:05 AM in response to jmichaeli

Just downloaded Yosemite onto my I-mac. Am now having trouble with Microsoft Word (12.3.2). My files frequently/suddenly freeze - I can't type onto them, copy/paste from them, save them, etc. All that I have figured out to do is to quit Word and start all over. Any body with similar problems? Anybody with suggestions?

i have also noticed that many responses (to print, save, open files, etc.) are delayed from what they were pre-Yosemite.

Thanks for any and all help........JG

Oct 19, 2014 3:17 PM in response to M9100009

I have a similar problem. Word 2008 works fine on Yosemite if the document contains no comments. It freezes when I open a document already containing comments or when I try to add a comment to a document that contains none.

I reinstalled Office 2008, and the problem persists, but instead of freezing it now quits unexpectedly, in the same circumstances.

Does anyone running Word 2011 experience the same problem?

Oct 20, 2014 8:12 AM in response to M9100009

I have Microsoft Word for Mac 2011, and am experiencing the same thing. It happens when track changes is on. As soon as tracked changes is on ans I press the space bar (or any key), the program crashes. I'm also experiencing this when tracked changes is off and I highlight copy and press "delete," the program automatically crashes. It's very frustrating!

Oct 24, 2014 9:19 AM in response to Nic125

I've been having a similar problem with MS Word 2011 v.14.4.5 and Photoshop CS6 v.13.0.6. Experiencing flickering in the "Save As" dialogue box with lags in functions (such as choosing a file location to save in and in typing a name for the document to save under. Very annoying.

I've posted about this in a separate thread but have yet to receive a reply or any assistance.

microsoft word crashes on yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.