Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

os x yosmite shows this message at startup: To view this web content, you need to install the Java Runtime Environment.

so I've just downloaded and installed OS X 10.10 YOSEMITE on my mac this morning and I find the design refreshing, however when I do a reboot of my mac this popup message always shows up: To view this web content, you need to install the Java Runtime Environment. here's a screen shot of it

User uploaded file

it is really annoying, and quite bothering on my part. I tried clicking the "more info..." tab as instructed by the popup/ notification, which led me to the webpage of java, and this is a screenshot of what I got

User uploaded file

so I've downloaded the .dmg file of the Java 8 update and installed it on my computer, did a check on my safari browser settings to see if the Java plugin is activated and, it is. Hoping that that the trick I rebooted my mac again and voila! the same popup appears again. I hope you could help me on this one guys, any suggestions for a quick fix would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here are the specs of my mac:

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 9:14 AM

81 replies

Oct 18, 2014 9:46 PM in response to casey rey

I had the same experience. I have to say the Java site was anything BUT easy to navigate, but I finally found the link for Java 8u25 and installed it. Same pop-up still happening. It is interesting to note that the Java being installed by the Apple update is Java 6, not 8. I wonder what will happen when I try to install the older version over the new one?

Oct 21, 2014 4:51 PM in response to j452

Frankly, I am not so sure. But something like this should have been a glaring issue in QC development of Yosemite prior to release. I am surprised that it could easily become an oversight of professional devlopers of Yosemite. I get this same repeat popup over and over as well. I will try the suggestion presented here as a resolution to this nagging problem.

Oct 23, 2014 3:09 AM in response to hlcfocus

I have a feeling Apple would prefer that Java was not on the machine. It can be a bit of a memory hog and a battery life killer..feel the heat on your 2008 17" macbook pro when running JRE for a long time in 10.5x..i think i burnt my leg once. But sometimes its a necessary evil to run these things. Support for Java on MacOs has been a bit 'at your own risk enter-here be dragons' for the last 2-3 years.

Just Sayin'

Oct 23, 2014 3:47 PM in response to casey rey

That does not convince me...

I get more and more annoyed by Apple, there's no support (at least no one from Apple here), they send hidden information everywhere without consent, forces us to install unnecessary software without explaining any reason...

I also bought this MacBook Pro with known fault on the screen (ghosting), but they sold it anyway with a "discount" and it was hard to return :/

Hope your hardware is really good because I'm most probably switching back to windows when this Macbook breaks...

P.S.: I won't install Java, unless Apple explains why! I prefer to continue as always using the laptop without Java running unnecessarily on the back

Oct 23, 2014 4:10 PM in response to miguelmpn

This is a user forum. Apple probably monitor it but they are not on here answering questions.

Not sure what you mean about the hidden information-i mean cheese how much info is 'gleaned' across the net and its nothing to do with the OS and don't get me started on the behaviour of some OSs!. You can set your machine to not give feedback to Apple.

Not sure what does not convince you in what Casey Rey said-its a fact there is a download. Download it don't download it ,what is you want Apple to explain? They made a decision not put JRE on OS X by default -i think there might be some licensing thing about it with Oracle going on. If you need it you need it if you don't you don't. Its like saying you wont install MS Office unless they explain why thats not on the machine by default.

Who sold you the machine with the faulty screen? Apple on line? The Apple store? An Apple Dealer? How long have you had it? If i buy a Ferrari with a dent in the door and i knew it had a dent in the door it would be funny to say 'when this Ferrari breaks i am switching back to Porsche because they don't have dents in the door'

os x yosmite shows this message at startup: To view this web content, you need to install the Java Runtime Environment.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.