Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite and Logic Pro X

Hello.

Since there does not seem to be a thread regarding Logic Pro X on Yosemite yet, I thought I might as well get the ball rolling.

For the early adopters, how are you experiencing LPX on Yosemite? Good or bad so far?

For those who have not yet adopted Yosemite but are thinking about doing so, here is some really good advice from community participant "The Art of Sound": Latest OS X & Logic Pro Compatibility Information

Thanks for the contribution if any.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Logic Pro X.0.7

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:17 AM

131 replies

Oct 17, 2014 3:23 PM in response to Cox1177

That is weird. I have no idea what could be wrong. I can say however that I have seen some serious visual delay before in logic pro x but it was not something I know how to reproduce. I'm talking about a complete visual delay in meters and playhead being totally out of sync with what I'm hearing.

Perhaps you should report it? https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

I'm curious though when you say logic doesn't sound right, what do you mean exactly?

Oct 17, 2014 3:39 PM in response to Chance Harper

I have left feedback but i'll be more then happy to go back to Mavericks for now.

The instruments/plugins don't sound how they used to, some sound speeded up, some sound muffled. It's strange, i went back to track i have out and it doesn't sound as warm as it did. It sounds like Logic/Yosemnit can't handle all the plugins or sounds in one go.

Oct 18, 2014 1:32 PM in response to Pancenter

I honestly think it's because Apple's priorities have changed. They are building their product range with a somewhat different vision as to when snow leopard was around. Back in the days of Snow Leopard it was enough for an OS to just be stable, responsive & fast. And obviously this is what drew the niche pro market in to the company and its products. Over time Apple's costumer base grew and what originally gave them their appeal has turned them into a company that has to now cater to a much larger costumer base......the mainstream consumer. A stable, fast & responsive OS is simply not enough anymore, its gotta have cloud services, make phone calls, send texts, heck its gotta have artificial intelligence! The music professional has a different set of priorities for their production system and I think that is where the conflict lies. While I love the extra functionality on my  device that these awesome services like iCloud etc. bring, I sometimes wish I could just turn them all off on my production system.

Oct 18, 2014 1:56 PM in response to Chance Harper

Update:

LPX10.0.7 and 10.10 with latest 10.10 Motu drivers and Ultralites

No change in audio quality... No sync issue.. Previous projects loading and playing back without issue.

Haven't come across an 3rd party plugin issues either...

Performance actually seems a little better than under 10.9.....

Tested on both Clean install and Upgraded from 10.9.5 systems...

Oct 18, 2014 2:28 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Additional:

New Yosemite style GUI/interface elements.. while much simplified.. has improved clarity for me.. easier to read fonts and details... Easier on the eye than 10.9...

Love the new Mail Drop functionality in Yosemite...

Simple and seamless way to share Logic Project Folders (Up to 5GB in size) via email.. Don't have to pre zip as with Dropbox to prevent issues... Just drag and drop into an email... wait for upload and then send. Done!

Been using it the last couple of days on my testbed Rig.. to share projects with a friend in NZ... and has worked great!

Oct 18, 2014 3:02 PM in response to Chance Harper

Chance Harper wrote:

I honestly think it's because Apple's priorities have changed. They are building their product range with a somewhat different vision as to when snow leopard was around. Back in the days of Snow Leopard it was enough for an OS to just be stable, responsive & fast. And obviously this is what drew the niche pro market in to the company and its products. Over time Apple's costumer base grew and what originally gave them their appeal has turned them into a company that has to now cater to a much larger costumer base.....

Just what MS has had to do for three decades, plus try and support a nearly infinite number of hardware combinations. That said my Windows 7 PC is probably the best Audio/MIDI system I've ever used because you can disable all of the extras.

Oct 18, 2014 6:39 PM in response to Murray Campbell

Murray Campbell wrote:

Thanks Art of Sound.

With regard to third party plugins having no issues, do you have an iLok ?

cheers

No.. Sorry!

I found iLok caused too many other issues that made my systems here unstable in the past so i avoid using it as much as i can on Macs.....

Any iLok protected plugins I use are hosted on a PC (using windows versions of those plugins..) and slaved to my Macs via VEP..... and VEP is working fine with 10.10 once I updated VEP to the latest version I might add...

Additional:

No problems with Elicenser protected AU plugins and 10.10 either....

Yosemite and Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.