Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite, poor performance with Apple TV

I usually use my apple tv as second display over wifi with my MacBookAir6,2 13'' 8GB RAM but today i installed Yosemite from App Store and i can't use my apple tv as a second display because the video streaming is really slow and is really annoying work with that performance, i tried to use mirror display over airplay too but i had the same issue. it a problem with Yosemite ?? when will apple repair that ??. I also tried to use the P2P airplay without my wifi access point only with my mac and apple tv but its the same issue.

😠😢 I really miss when apple worked with almost any problems.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Apple Tv with last IOS

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 11:06 AM

87 replies

Oct 18, 2014 7:11 PM in response to pablo16

I've got the same problem, and what I have discovered, guys:

Home Sharing in iTunes is switched on in 2 places

1. In the File menu is the global switch

2. In the iTunes Preferences on the Sharing Tab you can switch on the sharing via LOCAL network! And if you look at the STATUS in the bottom of that window, you most probably will see "On, no users connected"

User uploaded file

That means, that probably our Apple TV is working so slow under Yosemite because it is streaming all the content via the INTERNET rather than doing it via our LOCAL networks!

I tried to select "Require password" there.

User uploaded file

And no device in my network was prompted to enter the password! That also confirmed that my devices were not even trying to connect to my iTunes library via the LOCAL network.

After that I tried to switch off the Home Sharing on my other computer. Then tried to connect to my iTunes library, and BINGO it ASKED for the password! Now the iTunes is showing that 1 user IS connected:

User uploaded file

And streaming started to work much faster!

The only problem - I cannot do the same on my Apple TV. I cannot switch off the Home Sharing on the Apple TV and still see the iTunes Library. I can only do so on a computer. :-(

Oct 19, 2014 7:38 PM in response to bguerra

thanks papakaliati, shutdown the bluetooth also works with me but what happen if i want to use the apple tv without a router or access point ?, i think that bluetooth is necessary to p2p airplay, and now i can see another issue with the bluetooth off airplay works, not really ok but works, but when i use airplay to see a movie from internet i saw that the internet bandwidth in my MacBook Air is really poor and slow. when i saw the connection status of the wifi and its normal to 130Mbps but the internet connection only on my mac book air is 14Kbps downloading itunes dmg from apple.com/itunes and with airplay in the Apple TV.

User uploaded fileI remember that i had the same problem updating to mavericks something with the wifi performance

i think that its the same issue with the wifi performance on the macbook air and something related with airplay too. Apple !!!!! fix that soon please !!!!. I need to work

Oct 19, 2014 8:15 PM in response to pablo16

I figured out the problem, I did some test to see where is the problem and the conclusion is: when I turn on the bluetooth and then turn on the airplay some times works well the video streaming and some times works with lag and poor performance but always the bandwidth is too slow and the wifi works with the worse performance that i never see. 😮 😢😠😟

User uploaded file

but when I turn off the bluetooth and then turn on the airplay in my Apple TV it's seems that everything works well and I have a good bandwidth and performance with the streaming too.

User uploaded file

but for me it's really annoying turn off the bluetooth sometimes then turn on again and sometime I use the bluetooth handset too, while I work with the apple tv

uffffff I'm really mad with that.

in conclusion I think that the problem with that issue is the new mechanism and protocols to connect with the apple tv to give the p2p airplay and the continuity etc etc I don't know but it's a problem with the way that apple use the wifi and bluetooth to offer the new ways to connect with other apple products.

someone could tell me where we can post that problem and say to apple what is the real problem ?. maybe they don't know because it's a rare problem.

Oct 23, 2014 7:42 PM in response to neno1978

This problem with mirroring was corrected with the latest firmware update to the 3rd generation Apple TV but for the 2nd generation there is still no remedy. That's what I've noticed. All this talk of bluetooth activating and deactivating will not solve this problem until you update or until Apple releases an update for the 2nd generation Apple TV.

Oct 24, 2014 6:40 AM in response to bguerra

I was doing some research on this last night and what I found is that because the ATV 2nd generation is driven by the A4 chip, the same A4 that powered the iPhone 4 from back in 2010, Apple is not supporting that hardware with iOS 8 and Yosemite either for that matter. The ATV 3rd generation is powered by the A5 which is supported and explains why it received a firmware upgrade around the same time of iOS 8 and 8.1 release. No such firmware update has been provided to ATV 2 and going forward it's unlikely one will ever be provided. It does have something to do with the P2P nature of Yosemite's system and how all these devices interact with each other (i.e.: Continuity, Handoff etc.)

I'm therefore sorry to say that if people want to have flawless Airplay Mirroring an upgrade to the ATV 3 is going to be necessary. I know, it *****...but I think we can also expect a new ATV in 2015 sometime given Apple's abandoning of the older hardware. This is one thing I truly hate about this company. Their software updates sometimes force people to buy hardware to support features they've come to rely on and can't live without.

Yosemite, poor performance with Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.