Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 partition gone after installing Yosemite

Hi!

I recently installed Yosemite (OS X 10.10) and now when I was going to boot my Windows 7 partition (by holding down 'alt' when booting) I realized that it's gone.

When I checked Disk Utility this is what I found:

User uploaded file

The Boot Camp partition is not there. But there's a new partition (Have not seen it before) called disk0s4 and it needs to be repaired. I assume this is my no longer working Boot Camp partition (?)

Should I just choose the recovery option when booting and use an back up from yesterday for the disk called 1TB HD? Or what should I do to get the Windows 7/Boot Camp partition back?

I'm using a late 2009 iMac 27"

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x), Late 2009

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 11:00 AM

66 replies

Oct 17, 2014 9:49 PM in response to Jesper-A

I cannot see the image here, but I can see it on my phone.

If your 1TB drive is 999GB and you have 890Gb OS X and 75GB Windows which is roughly 965Gb, you have lost ~34+ GB of disk space, possibly including data, which I think would be catastrophic for hundreds of customers, who may never discover till they actually go looking of riot, depending on where the corruption is. If Windows breaks, the specific use will know immediately, but others may end with a working installation and not realize before it is too late. Look at the gap between GPT #3 and GPT#4 in your output. You can validate my calculation, if you like.

Please see an issue similar to yours - "Missing Operating system_ " After installing Yosemite

Oct 17, 2014 10:14 PM in response to Loner T

Yes, I noticed the missing disk space too.

Luckily for me, I didn't have anything super important on my Windows partition. But as you say, this could be catastrophic for some. especially for those who need to use Windows at work etc.

Since I just backed up using Time Machine (and therefore don't have an Windows backup) and as mentioned above, I don't have anything super important. Would it be easier for me to just redo the whole Boot Camp process?

Doing something like this:

1. Reformatting the disk0s4 back to its original format
  2. Putting it back with the 1TD HD partition
  3. Verify the disk, and do an repair if necessary
  4. Make an new partition
  5. Reinstall Windows using Boot Camp

What do you think?

Oct 18, 2014 2:34 AM in response to Jesper-A

Well I upgraded my iMac which is auto backed up nightly with Super Duper. Looks good. But I will not upgrade my Macbook Pros since I have Windows 7 partitions on them and use them for work. I downloaded the upgrade installer on my 15" last night but then remembered about the bootcamp/windows partition possibly being obliterated and went online to investigate. Unless they come up with a sure fire fix for this I won't upgrade the laptops. Don't feel like starting from scratch. Or...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Oct 21, 2014 10:01 PM in response to Jesper-A

I am having the same exact problem. Had Windows 8.1 installed, now gone and replaced by this disk04 partition.

The only reason why I bought an Apple computer it's because they start supported Windows with Intel processor with Bootcamp. Nobody develop for MacOS, so I need for work to have Windows. It's either a Macbook with Windows or no $ to Apple and another brand where Windows work on. I have important files on this partition, plus I bought the Windows 8.1 and can't find the box with the key product, so it means that I will have to repay if I want to reinstall. I had the same exact issue with 10.9. So before, I did a timemachine backup, but it does not recover the windows partition. What is this??? Apple is great at hardware, but software-wise and updates I am sorry, I can't give the passing mark, it's disappointing.

Here's my system :

Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012

Was on 10.9 with Bootcamp installed with Windows 8.1, updated to 10.10 and it screw up Windows for no reasons

Hope someone finds a solution to this.

Windows 7 partition gone after installing Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.