You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite iOS8 airdrop only from mac to iphone.

I Have a Macbook Pro 15" Early 2013 with yosemite installed, and a iphone 6 with iOS8.

My problem is on my macbook airdrops work fine, i can see my iphone and i can send a file from my macbook to the iphone, But not the other way around.

On my iphone i can't see my macbook under airdrop. i have tried change the option only contacts or all, both on the mac and iphone. that doesn't help anything.

i have tried turning off the firewall. that doesn't help anything.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 4:17 PM

60 replies

Oct 18, 2014 10:57 PM in response to delgado0102

I'm also having this problem. Mac can see the iPhone 6, but the iPhone can't see the Mac. I chatted with Apple Support and they told me that it wouldn't work between an iPhone and a Macbook. I even asked them "wasn't that part of the Yosemite update?" and she said no, that the update was handoff and continuity. Everything that I've read says that it should work, but after talking with support...I don't know. Hopefully we'll get a definite answer soon.

Specs:

Macbook Pro (late 2013) running Yosemite 10.10

iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2

Oct 19, 2014 11:10 AM in response to MostCedric

I had already tried that with no success.

*However*, just opened up airdrop on my iPhone to send something to my husband (I had given up sending things to OS X) and guess what popped up? Yup, my Macbook Pro. It's like it just randomly decided to start working. I haven't changed any settings since the last time I posted here, so???

Oct 19, 2014 7:10 PM in response to jms119

I'm having the same problem but I did get it to work (intermittently) by forcing my phone to connect to my MBP through the Bluetooth preferences. Here are a couple of things that worked:

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth and under My Devices find your MBP. It will be listed as "Not Connected." Tap it to see if it connects. I got a couple of "Connection unsuccessful" errors at first but once it connected I could see my MBP in Airdrop.

OR

Pair your iPhone with your Mac. On your MBP, go to System Preferences > Bluetooth. Find your iPhone on the list and click Pair. Accept the pair request on your phone. I think this connection is meant to be used to create a hotspot, but for some reason it allowed Airdrop to work between the two.

(Macbook Pro Retina, Mid 2012, Yosemite 10.10

iPhone 5, iOS 8.0.2)

Oct 20, 2014 2:28 AM in response to lisapdx

Nice you worked that out, but i have tried this. It's not working for me. I permanently get "connection unsuccessful.

After the iphone found your macbook, does it work all the time or only when you pair it.?

This is a screenshot from my macbook.

go to About this mac > System Report > Bluetooth.

Discoverable: Off

I'am wondering if that has anything to do with why the iphone can't find the macbook.

User uploaded file

Oct 20, 2014 4:38 AM in response to M Viracca

Never mind, fixed it!

I was wondering where it was getting my twitter details from and after reading another thread it appears it was because they were in my contacts, not sure why I created a contact card just for my twitter account. Anyway.

I deleted the contact card and just to be sure, I turned off Bluetooth on the iMac, then turned it back on. Now I see the correct name and photo on both the iMac and the iPhone.

Oct 20, 2014 7:29 AM in response to delgado0102

Since I paired it, it has worked consistently, even after turning Bluetooth on and off on both devices. And there's no need for them to appear "connected" in my phone's BT settings -- right now my MBP is "Not Connected" but I can still Airdrop to it.

My BT settings on my Mac look exactly like yours (Discoverable: Off).

Sorry it's not working for you -- clearly this isn't the way it's supposed to work, but maybe it will work for some as a workaround.

Oct 20, 2014 1:06 PM in response to delgado0102

I'm unsure if this will help, but I was experiencing the issue where the MBP (late 2013) could Airdrop to the phone (5S), but the phone couldn't airdrop to the MBP. Thing is I have another phone (5) that worked fine. I tried restarting the phone, the computer, turning bluetooth off and on, switching networks, even upgrading the phone to 8.1. Finally I turned off bluetooth on the phone, then did a soft reset (home & power), and turned bluetooth on again and finally was able to airdrop from phone to the MBP. Good luck!

Yosemite iOS8 airdrop only from mac to iphone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.