Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable iPhoto (Yosemite) from automatically launching when I plug in my iPhone?

Had never had this problem with iPhoto, but now that I've updated to OS X Yosemite, iPhoto auto-launches every time I plug in my iPhone and I don't find how to disable it.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Processor: 2.8 GHz dual-core Intel Core i7

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:35 PM

84 replies

Oct 18, 2014 9:58 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi,

Same problem here. Can't disable iPhoto from opening when plug the iPhone, but worse, it opens again when I try to record movie from iPhone, for App development video. Well being honest I upgraded for this feature only, I was happy enough with previous OSX.

Image capture set to import to pictures.
Sorry Terence, what do you mean for "you can choose one a per-device basis" please can you give us more details?

Oct 18, 2014 10:08 AM in response to Horst Droege

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents the following folder:

User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: For Mavericks and Yosemite go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

User uploaded file

Oct 18, 2014 1:48 PM in response to Old Toad

OK, deleted the iPhoto plist file, then the content of containers as by Old Toad instructions in thread #7 above.

Then restart, then open iPhoto and set --> connecting camera opens: no application <-- in iPhoto general preferences.

Image capture was set to save images in pictures, so no modifications there.

No more iPhoto popping up on iPhone cable plug, and no more on "new movie recording" in quick time player when iPhone set as primary screen to record.

OSX 10.10 Yosemite (14A389)

SOLVED for me. Thank you guys.

Oct 18, 2014 1:50 PM in response to Rodolfo Ld

This is how I fixed it for myself.

Step 1. iPhoto --> Preferences... --> General --> Connecting Camera Opens... --> No Application

Step 2. Then, with each iOS device that causes iPhoto to launch...

a. Launch Image Capture.

b. Select the device.

c. Display the device options by clicking on that little triangle-in-square icon in the lower left corner.

d. Update the "Connecting this [iOS device] opens:" to No Application

Oct 18, 2014 10:18 PM in response to D.Josephs

Yeah, this fixed it for me. Thanks!

"This is how I fixed it for myself.

Step 1. iPhoto --> Preferences... --> General --> Connecting Camera Opens... --> No Application

Step 2. Then, with each iOS device that causes iPhoto to launch...

a. Launch Image Capture.

b. Select the device.

c. Display the device options by clicking on that little triangle-in-square icon in the lower left corner.

d. Update the "Connecting this [iOS device] opens:" to No Application"

How do I disable iPhoto (Yosemite) from automatically launching when I plug in my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.