Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto and Yosemite update

Updated my iMac and MacBook Air to OS X Yosemite. Everything seems okay except iPhoto. First it said needed to upgrade to an older version - now it says that in order to open iPhoto I need to update to the latest version and go to App Store. My iPhoto has over 30,000 photos of my kids growing up... I'm scared to update without checking first because when going to App Store, it does not prompt me to update, but to download for free iPhoto... If I do that, does it move all my photos automatically? If anybody else went through this process too, can you please advise?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 8:50 AM

To be able to use iPhoto with Yosemite you need to install iPhoto 9.6.

Which version of iPhoto do you have currently?

Before you do any upgrading make a backup of your iPhoto Library.That is always best practice when upgrading any software. By default your iPhoto Library will be in the Pictures folder.

If you are currently running iPhoto '11, you should be seeing the update on the "Updates" page of the App Store.

I'm scared to update without checking first because when going to App Store, it does not prompt me to update, but to download for free iPhoto.

That means probably, that you installed an older version, but own a copy of the newest version. If the version you are seeing at the AppStore for free is iPhoto 9.6, install it.

Then double-click your iPhoto Library to open it in iPhoto 9.6. This will upgrade the library to the new format.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2014 8:50 AM in response to Lucibella

To be able to use iPhoto with Yosemite you need to install iPhoto 9.6.

Which version of iPhoto do you have currently?

Before you do any upgrading make a backup of your iPhoto Library.That is always best practice when upgrading any software. By default your iPhoto Library will be in the Pictures folder.

If you are currently running iPhoto '11, you should be seeing the update on the "Updates" page of the App Store.

I'm scared to update without checking first because when going to App Store, it does not prompt me to update, but to download for free iPhoto.

That means probably, that you installed an older version, but own a copy of the newest version. If the version you are seeing at the AppStore for free is iPhoto 9.6, install it.

Then double-click your iPhoto Library to open it in iPhoto 9.6. This will upgrade the library to the new format.

Dec 4, 2014 9:37 AM in response to léonie

I updated to yosemite yesterday and then afterwards it had other updates and one was iPhoto 9.6 so I updated that.

Now all my 32,000 photos are gone. I have gone into finder>pictures>iPhoto library right clicked "show package content" under

"masters" I see my photos in there but I can't get them back into iPhoto to show up.My iPhoto shows I'm have 254 gb used in photos.

I tried creating a new iphoto library and dragging them over but they don't show up in there either. Any ideas how to get my iPhoto back?

Dec 4, 2014 10:50 AM in response to Wildvine321

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Dec 5, 2014 8:20 AM in response to tari-girl

The question is answered - see the green check next to it and the answer in the green box after the original post - if you have another question click on "new" to the right of the apple Support Communities banner and ask it - included all details of your system and your problem including version of iPhoto and the OS, exact error messages, recent changes and exact symptioms

LN

Jan 12, 2015 4:47 AM in response to Lucibella

SOLUCIÓN compatibilidad actualización de Yosemite y Iphoto - Recuperar fotos de la versión anterior y actualizar sin ir a la app store.

1. Abrir Finder

2. Carpeta IMAGENES - abrir

3. Click en ARCHIVO en la parte de la barra superior de la pantalla con la carpeta imágenes seleccionada.

4. Archivo - abrir

5. Se abre Iphoto y pide actualizar. Seleccionar "actualizar"

6. Empieza a recuperar fotos de la fototeca o library, tarda pero terminas encontrando tus imágenes perdidas!!

7. Esperar a que actualice la versión compatible y te de la bienvenida.

Espero les sirva, traté por varios días y con paciencia hasta que encontré esta solución. Suerte 🙂

Mar 10, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Yer_Man

I have been following your advice regarding iphoto and the Yosemite update. I downloaded the Yosemite OS 2 days ago and cannot get iphoto to work. I have downloaded it off the app store more than once, but when I go to open the application, I get a message that the iphoto library needs to be upgraded, then the message box says examining iphoto library... the progress bar changes throughout the day, but even overnight it does not complete, and eventually I have to force quit iphoto (application not responding). I have re-booted several times as well. The iphoto library is large, and it is backed up on other sources, but even if I had to reload all the pictures off of memory sticks and DVD's, I cannot even get iphoto open to do that. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Iphoto and Yosemite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.