Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto won't upgrade in Yosemite

I've just updated to OS X Yosemite on my iMac (27-inch, mid 2010 model). I was running 10.6.8 and everything was working fine.

iPhoto is version 9.2.3 and iMovie is version 9.0.4. The App Store won't let me upgrade these apps. I've tried opening from the dock and also the icon in the applications folder. I get the following messages when I try to open iPhoto:

User uploaded file

Then when I click on the Search App Store button I get the following message when trying to download the latest version.

User uploaded file

What can I do to fix this. I want to be able to access my photos. Thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Was operating 10.6.8

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 7:09 PM

77 replies

Oct 19, 2014 12:07 AM in response to jpcrown21

it says update unavailable with this apple id, the update is not available for this apple id either because it was bought by a differfent user or the item was refunded or cancelled,

Contact App Store support. There's a link on the right hand side of the App Store Window. They're the only ones who can sort out account issues.

Oct 19, 2014 2:04 AM in response to LarryHN

When I went to the App Store to download Yosemite it didn't recognise my Apple ID (I probably had either part of the ID or password wrong) so I created a new account. This is where I think I went wrong. When I bought my computer (new) iPhoto was already on it, so I assumed by creating a new account everything would be okay and all existing Apps would be compatible. My version of iPhoto in the dock and in the Applications folder has a white & grey circle with a line through it

I get this message from the App Store - This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled.

I think I need to do what Terence Devlin has suggested which is - Contact App Store support. There's a link on the right hand side of the App Store Window. They're the only ones who can sort out account issues.

I will let you know if this is resolved when I contact App Store support.

I took this screenshot - is it the iPhoto Library in the Pictures folder? It just looks like a blank piece of paper.

User uploaded file

I probably need to upgrade iLife. Thank you for your help. I will follow your suggestions.

Oct 19, 2014 9:20 AM in response to Megjack

i just talked to apple support and they say you may have signed in with a different apple id back when you bought the computer, i told them there are two id's mine and my wife, neither one worked to resolve issue, then they looked further and said that iPhoto was a purchased app and is no longer free to update since i am updating from snow leopard, so they had me go to applications and drag iPhoto icon to trash bin and then go to featured apps on main app page then to apps supported by apple, there i found the iPhoto to download and it was free, so i am currently reinstalling it and so far so good, now it is indexing my library but this seems to have resolved the issue, hope this helps you

Oct 19, 2014 10:55 PM in response to nielsen87

The iPhoto Application and the Library are different things, and reinstalling the app should not affect the Library.

Of course it would be unwise to do such things without first making a back up of the Library.

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Oct 20, 2014 6:01 AM in response to Yer_Man

I rang Apple Support today and apparently there are two Apple ID's (my son created an account). They think he may have upgraded iPhoto and iMovie while he was logged in. Anyway, I need to ring them again when my son is home because I don't know his password. If that doesn't work then I'll do the following:

First, I'll be following the suggestion of Terence Devlin which is to back-up iPhoto Library.

Then, I'll be following the suggestion of jpcrown21 which is to trash the iPhoto icon and then go to featured apps on main app page then to apps supported by Apple. Hopefully I'll find it and be able to download it for free.

I'll let this community know if it works. Thank you everyone for your answers.

Oct 20, 2014 9:59 AM in response to Megjack

I deleted the application from my computer (didn't lose any photos but I still backed it up with Time Machine first), and went to the app store to re-install it. It took a moment for it to recognize I removed it though. At first it still said "Update" which I wasn't able to do previously, but after a minute or two it changed to "FREE." So I clicked that, it installed, and seems to be working just fine.

Thanks for everyones help!

Oct 29, 2014 1:40 AM in response to Megjack

I was having the exact same problem when I just installed Yosemite. A very simple solution worked for me.

Just by opening a folder, selecting the Applications folder and opening iPhoto from there, it then opened the App store and instead of saying "Update" it said "Accept" I clicked "Accept", entered my Apple ID again (repeated this a few times for some reason!) then "Accept" changed to "Update" which I clicked and then it installed!!

iPhoto won't upgrade in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.