Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification Centre does not Remember Settings

Hardware/Software:

Macbook Air Mid 2013 1.3Ghz 8GB RAM 120GB SSD / Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10

Issue:

My personal configuration for Notification Centre aren't remembered and every app that has access to Notification Centre gets enabled with each reboot regardless of the configuration I have just made previously.

Troubleshooting:

Unticking all options within the apps in Notification Centre and setting the notification banner/alert to none.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 8:55 PM

117 replies

Oct 19, 2014 10:50 AM in response to S. P. Cooper

Same here. Tried deleting apple notification pref, no luck. Tried selecting "none," no sound alert, etc. while leaving all previously excluded apps in "included" set, but on reboot, all the default settings return. Obviously a bug that needs fixing ASAP, since indications are at this point that all apps able to fire off notifications will be doing so with no user recourse. Good luck to all.

Oct 20, 2014 5:04 PM in response to v1ct0r

Hello v1ct0r,

I had a similar problem but it was with Mavericks not Yosemite. how do i remove messages from my notification centre? If I remove it in system preferences when I reboot it is back.

I am unsure whether things changed for Yosemite or not but with Mavericks it doesn't say anywhere I found, but Notification Center and iCloud are linked. I am reasonably sure that things are the same though.

What I mean by this (the answer to my own question in the above linked Discussion) is that when you boot or re-boot your system upon launching it checks the preferences of the programs and when doing so the system uses the preferences it sees. So even if you set things one way for Notification Center when it checks the preferences of iCloud if you have things selected differently here, Notification Center will then be changed to these settings. It performs another check when it connects to the internet. Where it checks your iCloud settings for changes from other devices (such as your iPhone). Therefor if you want the settings to stay constant you need to have the same settings selected for iCloud as for Notification Center.

I think Apple did this so the iOS systems could all be linked and have the same settings as your OS X. They integrated your iCloud settings to override pretty much everything so if you change your iCloud settings on any device it would automatically change on all your devices. So to beat the dead horse, your iCloud settings must be set to what you want from your Notification Center or your iCloud settings will change your Notifiaction Center settings every time.

dofromon

Oct 20, 2014 7:52 PM in response to dofromon

Hi Dofromon,

I have Plex Media Server running on my Mac, I have never installed the Plex app on iOS, and I don't own an iOS device at the moment...so am not quite sure the cross syncing part.

If this is really the case, I understand the merits of cross platform syncing of Notification Centre for iOS and OS X users, but surely there are people in the community who do not own an iOS device or in fact do not own a smartphone for that matter. The solution has to be better than buying or borrowing an iOS device to rectify this matter.

At any rate, thanks for the input, I will investigate this further if I get the chance.

Oct 20, 2014 8:12 PM in response to dofromon

I can confirm that dofromon's issue is not the same issue that this topic is discussing.

First, I have never had this issue under Mavericks, where my laptop, my desktop, and my iPhone all had different notification settings. They were not cross-synced across iCloud. Dofromon seems to be misinterpreting the iCloud backup for iPhone, which saves most iPhone user settings and can restore them to the iPhone on request: but, it does not push these settings to other operating systems or devices.

Secondly, my settings on my iOS device are not being copied to my computers, even though all of my devices sync across iCloud. The Notification panel settings for my iPhone 5S running iOS 8.1 are not being copied to my desktop and my laptop.

For example, the things that I have on my iOS device are set to banners only, silent, maximum notifications (and everything else is turned off), but my computer is turning everything on, with badges sounds and banners, and resetting everything to 5 notifications.

When my computers are disconnected from the internet and prevented from connecting by disabling my router, they still reset their settings on reboot: so they are definitely not downloading the default OS settings from iCloud.

Oct 20, 2014 8:19 PM in response to v1ct0r

Hello again,

Well I hope it works for you. Just to note; I actually do not have an iOS device connected via iCloud or any other means at the moment myself. This solution worked fine for me without an iOS device or Smartphone, I did it all through System Preferences on my MacBook Pro. Sorry, I am not familiar with the Plex Media Server so I can not add input pertaining to that, if it has played any part in your dilemma.

Oct 20, 2014 8:28 PM in response to dofromon

Dofromon, this topic is about a bug that resets the notification center settings of every single program that is available in the notification center, many of which are not in the iCloud panel (such as, in my case, Cyberduck, Tweetbot, Thunderbird, Firefox, iTunes, Facetime, Messages, Twitter, Skype, and Game Center).

We can't go in and untick something if there is nothing to untick. And, in any case, programs like Cyberduck and Thunderbird aren't syncing with iCloud. In fact, Firefox/Thunderbird explicitly does not have iCloud support in the first place.

Oct 20, 2014 8:39 PM in response to S. P. Cooper

Hello S.P. Cooper and anyone else whom has the problem when it pertains to other items that are not within both Notification Center and iCloud Preferences,

Sorry, if I misled you in someway. Without prior knowledge of these other items being affected, I thought only that the remedy I found for my issue which is very similar, might help. Hope you all get it sorted out and I wish you a great day!

Oct 21, 2014 5:46 PM in response to v1ct0r

I'm having this exact same issue (21.5-inch iMac, late 2009)...I'm pretty sure the type of Mac you have doesn't matter, sounds to me like this is a Yosemite issue. I keep trying to make it so that my Mail app doesn't show the unread count badge on the Dock icon, but every time I turn my computer off for the night and back on the next morning, the badges reappear again and the setting goes back to the default in System Preferences. Hopefully Apple fixes this in 10.10.1.

Also, I'm having another similar issue. I've noticed that Finder doesn't remember window sizes after rebooting. It always reverts back to the default small window where you can barely see anything, and I always have to manually enlarge it. In previous versions of OS X, it would always retain the same window size you last had. Anyone else having this issue?

Notification Centre does not Remember Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.