Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airdrop with yosemite on two mac's not working

After upgrading my two mac's (iMac late 2009 and MacBook Air 2012), AirDrop does not work anymore. The two mac's are in the same WLAN.

With Mavericks it worked perfectly!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 2:44 AM

51 replies

Oct 19, 2014 1:47 PM in response to Maulerr

I had the same problem yesterday morning.

Try the following to see if it works for you:

• Point both computers to alternate wifi networks
  • Switch them both back to the same wifi network
  • Click on airdrop in finder on the newest machine
  • Click allow me to be discovered by everyone
  • Click on "Don't see who you are looking for"

You might not have to go thru all the steps above to get it working but Apple support guy took me thru these steps and it started working again for me.🙂

Oct 19, 2014 6:47 PM in response to MacThomas

I am experiencing the same problem.

We have two macs, a 2012 MacBook Pro and a mid-2011 iMac. Airdrop worked fine with both machines using Mavericks.

Since upgrading to Yosemite, Airdrop still works with the MacBook Pro, but not the iMac. In fact, the iMac does not even show the two clickable links at the bottom of the Airdrop Finder window that say "Allow me to be discovered by..." and "Don't see who you're looking for..."

Bluetooth is turned on. We're on the same Wi-Fi network. No Firewall. I created a test admin user account and the problem persists.

Even spoke with Apple tech and they couldn't help.

Any suggestions?

Oct 20, 2014 10:49 AM in response to MacThomas

I've been having a similar problem between a late 2012 iMac and an early 2013 MacBook Pro after upgrading both to Yosemite. What worked for me, and I don't know why, is that I put both machines side by side and presto AirDrop started working again. I then returned the MacBook Pro to my studio and left the iMac in my office and AirDrop continued to work. Whether it will continue to do so I can't say.

Oct 22, 2014 2:02 PM in response to MacThomas

Well, at last I found the way it works. I got several correct hints. I always wanted to connect from my iMac to the MacBook Air, but, as this one is the older on, I didn't get 'don't see who you are looking for'! When I tried it from the MacBook Air, all was fine! I can see the iMac. So if you have one newer Mac, then it will work! Thanks to all of you!!!

airdrop with yosemite on two mac's not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.