Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Joining tracks in iTunes 12

Trying to join tracks together in an Audiobook but cannot find anyway to do this in iTunes 12 - I know it was possible in 11, did Apple remove this function in 12 or is it just really well hidden?

Cheers, David

AppleTV 2, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 6:07 AM

48 replies

Jan 28, 2017 3:23 PM in response to David Winter

For music previously imported (iTunes12):

Select all the tracks

Right-click and select "Get info"

It will ask you "Are you sure you want to edit information for multiple items?"

Click "edit items"

Under "details" I clicked "compilation"

I also made sure all of them had the same Album title

When finished, click OK

For me, this worked in that I now can see them together in one album when I click on albums.

You can also then click on each track individually using the same process if you want to edit track number, etc.

May 22, 2017 4:16 PM in response to iTBotB

iTBotB wrote:

Here’s a workaround that requires no other software. Burn onto a CD-ROM (or CD-RAM to save disks) the tracks you want to join. Start iTunes, insert the newly burned CD, and use iTune’s CD menu to merge the tracks.

Sadly, if you are doing an audiobook, you will need to do this multiple times as most are more than an hour, which is what will fit on an audio CD.

Jul 15, 2017 9:31 PM in response to David Winter

I somehow struggle with this question every time I need to do it. And every then, the iTunes version has found to be changed. Finally after so much of struggle to do a seemingly simple task, I have realised that it is extremely tedious (if at all) in iTunes. And who uses CDs anyways nowadays. Ways to join simple audio tracks (mp3) in cumbersome ways have been suggested using iMovie and Garage Band on Mac. Sincerely, let me suggest you all to just download a 3rd party software like MP3 Trimmer (its free) and it would do all - Analyse, Trim as you want and Merge haplessly. While using tracks of varied bitrates, go online and convert all tracks to same bitrate. And thank almighty that online conversion, merging of every format is possible. This is just one of them.https://www.ofoct.com/merge-mp3-files.

I sincerely feel that we should do simple things simply. Apple has learnt it. Today, we have integrated functionalities for our Apple devices but such integration has happened only when prompted by Android when finally iOS has since been in continuous free upgradation.

Aug 21, 2017 4:30 AM in response to David Winter

I need to import six tracks of a commercial cd onto iTunes as one complete track -eg as one single MP3 file-this is proving a bit of a mind boggler.

Could there be a little more step by step help on just how this can be achieved please.

Currently-On inserting my commercial CD i have only two visible options "on the right hand side of the display--one to IMPORT and the other to DISPLAY information. I understand the instruction about knocking the ticks off the tracks I do not want -but am stuck on finding where to click to display that the CD will then import what I want as one single mp3 track

All pointers and support welcome-thanks

Dec 14, 2017 4:11 PM in response to turingtest2

It's not the same. No "CD Info" grey box No "Import CD" grey box No "Gear" icon at all.

I've looked in view menu and preferences and cannot find a way to show these boxes and thus find "Join CD Tracks"

iTunes keeps getting worse. It always was Apples worst design. I think they need to go back to the drawing board. Back to basics. Look at what people do with their music. List is by far my favourite view, icons are not. Same as everything on the Mac since 1984. I'm not sure why Apple has always made the default icons. Finding things in icon view is ****. List is great.

Dec 15, 2017 12:03 PM in response to turingtest2

Sorry, it's not only not obvious it's not there. I tried everything. Clicking everywhere in and around the "Music in the image" I am not trying to "import CD" I am just trying to join tracks so they stay together. Maybe as you say try reinstalling but everything else seems to work in iTunes. Not flakey. Is there a menu or preferences settings? I just don't get it. I've been a Mac guy since 1984 so it's not like I'm blind. (or maybe I am).

Dec 15, 2017 12:15 PM in response to auscan

You only get to Join CD Tracks during the Import CD phase of importing a physical CD. The little CD icon will show if iTunes detects the disc, and you click that icon before proceeding. If you want to join tracks together later you will need a third party utility. See Audiobooks on iPods for a couple of suggestions, plus more on organizing audiobooks.

tt2

Dec 15, 2017 12:34 PM in response to turingtest2

Ahh, okay got ya. Thanks! Now I know. Apple sure can miss out on something so obvious. I will have to download some of my CDs all over again just to join tracks. Weird. Thanks for the heads up on third party utility. Is there an app that is better for music lists than iTunes? The old iTunes was better but not much. The old iTunes had three different places to sync and back up making it very confusing and even Windows like.

Hey, I have an idea, use a CD player and the songs will be in order. (sometimes tech gets in the way)

Time to hook it up again so we can use it. Same as the TV. What a MESS. Even with Apple TV and a Harmony remote my wife can't get it and I don't blame her. When I go to turn on the TV I give a big sigh because I have to focus on several things. Where as in the old days you push one button and watch. Kinda like an old Mac (and mouse). hmmm

ok i'll stop complaining

Thanks again tt2 🙂

Joining tracks in iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.