Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I the only one (still...) having issues with Bluetooth after upgrading to iOS 8.1...?

Hi fellas,

I guess my expectation level was way too high regarding this upgrade from iOS 8.0.2 to 8.1: my iPhone 6 still can't connect to Bluetooth peripherals, whatever they may be...

I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, and a PC with Windows 8.1 update on it, and none of them can pair with the iPhone, no matter how hard I try.

Have you guys found workaround measures or (hopefully) solutions?

I swore today was my last day going to work with the crappy Apple-issue headphones that came with the phone, and I'd pack my faithful Sony Ericsson BT to work tomorrow... 😠

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 12:10 PM

72 replies

Oct 20, 2014 1:07 PM in response to FrenchToast

The iPhone does not pair with a computer (Mac or Windows) except for personal hotspot (sharing the phone's cellular internet connection) and it will only do that if it is supported by your cellular plan. Following is a link to the Bluetooth profiles which are supported: iOS: Supported Bluetooth profiles

If you are trying to pair to use Continuity/Handoff, note that both devices must have Bluetooth turned on and they must be in range of each other, but you do not pair the two.

Sorry but I can't help with the headphone or pairing with the devices other than computers.

Oct 20, 2014 1:17 PM in response to tjordans

I just update my iphone 6 to 8.1 (8.02 to 8.1)

What is fixed: bluetooth connection to my VW carkit for phone. I can make calls again, see contacts ect.

What is not fixed:

Bluetooth audio with my Volkswagen Golf 2014, audio works but no selection available: no tracks, no albums or no artist, or anything showing. Carkit says: no lists available. Does not sync any content views with car(kit). This used to work fine on my iphone 5 on iOS 7.(any 7.xx versions)

Oct 20, 2014 2:33 PM in response to lubo101

Your english is very good! For Handoff/Continuity to work you need Bluetooth turned on on both devices and they need to be in range of each other -- but you do NOT go to the Bluetooth setting on either device and pair them. I know that is unusual and can think of no other case where that is done using Bluetooth, but that is how it works for Handoff & Continuity.

The following are the other things needed from Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity

How to get started:

• Sign in to the same iCloud account on all your devices.
  • Turn on Bluetooth on all the devices you want to use. Make sure your devices are near each other.
  • Connect all your devices to the same Wi-Fi network.

Turn off Handoff

To turn off Handoff on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps, and turn off the setting.
On your Mac, go to System Preferences > General and deselect the option to allow Handoff.

Phone calls

With Continuity, you can make and receive cellular phone calls from your iPad, iPod touch, or Mac when your iPhone is on the same Wi-Fi network.

To make and receive phone calls, here's what you need:

1. Sign in to the same iCloud account on all your devices, including your Mac.
  2. Your iPhone and your iPad or iPod touch need to use iOS 8 or later. Your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  3. All devices must be on the same Wi-Fi network.
  4. All devices must be signed in to FaceTime using the same iCloud account. This means any device that shares your Apple ID will get your phone calls. Look below for instructions on how to turn off iPhone cellular calls.
  5. Wi-Fi Calling needs to be off. Go to Settings > Phone. If you see Wi-Fi Calling, turn it off.

Oct 20, 2014 2:35 PM in response to lubo101

I've pretty much thrown in the towel. iPad Air and iPhone 6 with running OS8.1, iMac running Yosemite. The devices seem to find the iMac, I am asked to pair them, I OK the confirmation code. They connect for 5 seconds or so and then disconnect, never to reconnect. I get some notification telling me to make sure Network access is available. I go to Network, click on Bluetooth try and connect and get the same message.

Oct 20, 2014 3:35 PM in response to FrenchToast

Still having issues after I upgraded to 8.1. iPhone 6. 2011 Subaru Impreza. Never had a single issue with my 4S, even after I updated it to 8.02. I'd get in the car, turn it on, and bluetooth would connect and my music would play. Now I have to go in to the iPhone, and initiate the connection, and sometimes it sees it, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm almost convinced there's something wrong with the bluetooth radio in these things.

I did a reset, which is irritating, and still, same thing.

I'm starting to want my money back.

Oct 20, 2014 3:49 PM in response to FrenchToast

Hello All !

I got the same problem with my iPhone 5c (iOX 8.1), my Macbook Air (Middle 2012 with Yosemite) and my iPad 3 (Retina with iOS 8.1)... The bluetooth does not work between them... There is no chance... I have been trying everything, and I have already searched for a solution inside the all forums into the Internet... The APPLE is kidding with us... So "cool" company, and so "poor" feedback... I am completely disappointed... How could the U2 band give its name, to be used, for one company that disrespects his clients ? Poor U2... Poor us...

A hug

Am I the only one (still...) having issues with Bluetooth after upgrading to iOS 8.1...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.