Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No prompt for remembering log-in

I'm on several forums. Whenever I've gone to a new forum or website that requires a log-in, if I begin to type in a user name & password, I get a prompt that asks me if I want keychain to remember the password. Except for one forum, that is. The folks that run that forum have suggested that I delete their cookies and empty Safari's cache -- which I've done. But I still do not get the prompt that asks the keychain question. I thought I read somewhere that if this happens, it is a problem with the forum's setting. Is this true? Does anyone have any suggestions?

733 MHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7), Cable modem

Posted on Sep 25, 2006 2:05 PM

38 replies

Sep 25, 2006 2:36 PM in response to Dorothy Barnett

it is a problem with the forum's setting. Is this true? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Check your Safari Preferences>Autofill>User names and passwords (select edit on the panel) to make sure no other related items to that forum are present. If you find any, delete them. Also, go to your Keychain app in your Utility Folder and delete any related item in your password file. Then start over in Safari with the site. See if that makes a difference.

Other options:
I use SAFT for a variety of Safari features. One of them is "autocomplete always on". This overrides any auto log-in block coded into a web site. Works great with Yahoo Mail, my banking and credit card sites.

iMac G5 Rev C 20" 2.5gb RAM 250 gb HD/iBook G4 1.33 ghz 1.5gb RAM 40 gb HD Mac OS X (10.4.7) LaCie 160gb d2 HD Canon i960 printer

Sep 25, 2006 5:39 PM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

I tried that just now. There was no reference to this site under User names and passwords, but there was one under Other Forms. I deleted that one. I went to the Keychain app, but there was absolutely no reference to this site in keychain.

I also went to the site and changed my password, thinking that might be the problem since I used it at another similar site. I also again deleted the cookies from this site.

Then I went to the site again and logged on with my new password. Still no prompt asking if I want Keychain to remember my password for this site -- I still have to log in manually.

What is SAFT?

Are there any other suggestions?

Sep 25, 2006 6:30 PM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Just FYI,

I am one of the Admins of the site that Dot is having the problem with. I also run it through the latest version of Tiger, through Safari, on an iBook G4 and I have no problems.

We're just trying to figure out how to help her, but from what I can tell, other than individual preferences, she and I are running pretty much the same way, and she's having the issues and I am not.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2006 6:47 PM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Just noticed you are using 10.4.2. Improvements/changes have been made to Safari since this version. This may be why the log-in is not cooperating for you, yet working for the Admin.

Upgrade to 10.4.7 using the combined update. After the install/restart, repair permissions using Disk Utility. Once you have upgraded, go to System Preferences>Software Update. See if there is any security upgrade you may be missing. If there are any security upgrades, again repair permissions after the restart.

iMac G5 Rev C 20" 2.5gb RAM 250 gb HD/iBook G4 1.33 ghz 1.5gb RAM 40 gb HD Mac OS X (10.4.7) LaCie 160gb d2 HD Canon i960 printer

Sep 26, 2006 10:47 AM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Hi~

Dorothy, along with all the helpful suggestions offered; ) perhaps
you could try it this way Launch Keychain under File menu > "New password item"add the "Keychain Item name" i.e the URL,

then "Account name" associated w/ the account then the password, then click add.

Now go to the said site,log in window, type the user name, add pswd, then it will ask if you would like it saved.

This is how it has worked for me, does that help any ?
Please let us know.

Eme; )

Sep 26, 2006 1:51 PM in response to Eme

I just did that. In fact, I used another forum where the login works for me as a model. At first, I just put things in as you said, then went to the problem forum and logged in -- but no box came up asking me if I wanted it saved.

So I went back to keychain, noticed the differences between forum where I have no problems, and the one I just entered. That's when I used the former as a model to enter the info into the new keychain. Went back to the forum, and...

Sorry, it still doesn't work. I still have to log in manually.

Sep 26, 2006 1:58 PM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

I'm not sure -- what am I looking for? In the proxy server window, I see several choices, none of which are checked:
FTP
Web (HTTP)
Secure Web (HTTPS)
Streaming (RTSP)
SOCKS
Gopher
Automatic Proxy Configuration

Down below, the "Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV)" is checked.

I do have the Firewall enabled, but that hasn't affected any other forum or webpage.

No prompt for remembering log-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.