Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1 - Keyboard Shortcuts: Restores Previously Deleted Keyboard Shortcuts

At random times when I go into the Keyboard Settings on my Mac (Yosemite) or iPhone (iOS 8.1) the Keyboard Shortcuts I have deleted since iOS 7 keep coming back and syncing between my iPhone and Mac. Just yesterday I deleted them from 8.1 and Yosemite but today they are back. I deleted all of the ones on my Mac but those changes don't sync over to my iPhone.

There should be a way to disable keyboard shortcuts and fix this bug.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 7:51 AM

60 replies

Oct 21, 2014 4:13 PM in response to TylerJR

this bug is reported since iOS 8, i was one who reported it to a high ranking personal of apple, he made a ticket to he's engineers seems to work on iOS 8.1 beta but on the public lunch I'm having same issues, on my mac running Yosemite and iPhone i have my keyboard shortcuts but on my iPad i don't, i did everything by hard reboot, deleting settings etc and no luck.

Oct 28, 2014 12:37 PM in response to beecart

Hope this helps. I got on the phone with an upper level tech with apple. I had the same issue. I would delete shortcuts, reboot the phone, and there they were again. He had me do a hard reboot (hold the home button and the power button down until the apple logo came on and keep holding it until it went off). Then after 15 seconds, I turned the phone back on. Since this, I have been able to successfully delete shortcuts and they do not come back after a reboot. Hopefully the problem is resolved.

Nov 15, 2014 7:05 AM in response to zbebe

I Rang Apple and spoke some senior advisor in Ireland.

Aparently its its a known issue in which they are working on a fix which they said would be deployed through the next iOS update. I just hope they hurry up cos its doing my head in. Every time I restart my phone or use aeroplane mode it resets and brings back ALL my old shortcuts. Grrr

Nov 17, 2014 2:27 PM in response to beecart

STILL NOT FIXED IN iOS 8.1.1

I cannot even view keyboard shortcuts since iOS 8 update on iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 or iPad Air. When I go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcuts, the settings app crashes. This happens on all my devices. I've tried a complete "back to factory" reset/restore and then once I sign in with iCloud it does something and the crashes happen again. The shortcuts sync without any issues or crashing between both my Macs running 10.10 Yosemite.

Nov 25, 2014 11:20 AM in response to iBarrett

Adding to my previous posts...

It's a syncing issue with iCloud "Dictionaries" which is a hidden folder in the iCloud Drive folder. If you're a dev or comfortable using Terminal, the following command will place a "real iCloud drive" folder on your desktop which will allow you to see ALL the items in iCloud Drive. Inside this folder is the folder called "Settings" and then "Dictionaries". You can then see other nested folders from each device ID (Macs, iOS) that write to iCloud.

This is not a fix but here's the steps to view those:

1) In terminal:

ln -s ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/ ~/Desktop/Real\ iCloud\ Drive

2) You will now have an alias on your desktop to the iCloud Folder (you must choose to view it in a Finder window as list view)

Drill down until you find a file with the extension .cdt

3) Duplicate that file onto your desktop and CHANGE the extension to .zip and unzip it.

4) ADD the extension .plist to the end of the UNIX file that was unzipped and then you can view it in text edit app and see the shortcuts info.

Again, not fixing anything, but trying to narrow it down and hope that some developer/programmer out there with better knowledge than mine can help!

Just a reminder to everyone to report the issue to Apple and go to Genius Bar if you have the time and call Apple Support:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Dec 6, 2014 11:04 AM in response to TylerJR

I have also had lots of shortcuts created with a previous version of iOS and ever since cannot delete them. This issue causes keyboard to freeze frequently on my iPhone and even on my new iPad air. I just simply delete the shortcuts and shortly they restore themselves.

This simply prevents me to use my devices lately.

I would be more than happy to hear any solid solution on this issue.

Thanks.

----------------------------

iPad Air (1st gen): iOS 8.1.1

iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.1

Mar 4, 2015 6:18 AM in response to sinbear

Update on shortcut issues... the only solution that is reportedly working is detailed below. This has been used to fix both the reappearing shortcuts issue and/or the keyboard shortcuts crash on iOS.

(1) On any affected iOS device go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content And Settings

(WARNING this will obviously delete everything so you must be willing to go this far with no guarantee)

(2) If you also have a Mac(s) proceed to step (3) otherwise skip to step (6)

(3) On Mac, go to System Preferences > Keyboard >Text Tab and delete ALL the shortcuts you have there.

(4) Using Terminal app on your Mac, the following command will place a “Real iCloud Drive" folder on your desktop which will allow you to see ALL the hidden items in iCloud Drive:

ln -s ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/ ~/Desktop/Real\ iCloud\ Drive

(5) Open this new iCloud Folder alias (you must choose to view it in a Finder window as list view). Inside this folder is the folder called "Settings" and inside that, "Dictionaries.” Delete the “Dictionaries” folder and empty trash.

(6) Set up your iOS device(s) as NEW. Meaning, you must manually reinstall any apps, settings, etc. Do NOT restore from iTunes or iCloud backup as that will just leave you with the same corrupted issue. Before going through all the time that takes, start with singing into your device with your Apple/iCloud ID and see if the shortcuts issue seem to be fixed and when you enter new ones they sync between devices and/or Mac.

- This solution was suggested to me by a developer and it seems to have worked for my iOS shortcuts crashing & syncing debacle. The issues have not reappeared for the last week and all the shortcuts are properly syncing between an iPhone, iPad and 2 Macs. Please don’t get angry with me if you try this and it doesn’t work for you. I’m just sharing an option.

- I continue to submit feedback to Apple about the issue and have still been having followup calls with AppleCare. They just keep saying “a fix will be in an upcoming iOS software update.” They’ve been saying that to me me since iOS 8.0 and we are now at 8.1.3…

Mar 4, 2015 2:35 PM in response to iBarrett

Yea, I've been through all that already, more than once. I was down for 2days last time. I don't have time for this crap! Have almost decided to have 1 apple device and not deal with all the crap of a new OS every year forcing me to upgrade every device to use sync. There are better options like drop box.

I Switched to apple for a reason. STABILITY, simplicity. The past two years have been nothing but a pain. They should have a new slogan!

Apple "The New Windows"

for the days when you just don't want anything to work right!

iOS 8.1 - Keyboard Shortcuts: Restores Previously Deleted Keyboard Shortcuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.