Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8.1 frequent email login to iCloud issue

Since I upgraded my iPad Air to iOS 8.1 I have had an issue with sending email from the Email client. Whenever I start to compose a new email from my Hotmail account, iCloud asks me to login to iCloud with my user id password. I have multiple email accounts associated with the Email app, but this only happens with my Hotmail account. I have tried logging in an out of iCloud, powering down & rebooting to no avail. I have searched the internet for a solution (none) and asked the techies at the local Apple store, no additional suggestions.

Anyone in the Apple ether had similiar issues and know of a solution?

Cheers

iPad Air, iOS 8.1, iCloud

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 9:40 AM

18 replies

Oct 25, 2014 1:31 PM in response to Dino_man

ran through Lastminuteguy's suggestion again to check. It worked for a small time but the problem is now back. Also tried altering the email server to the live.com (hotmail) and setting the iCloud email to off. Neither has worked. This is incredibly annoying to say the least. Glad though that at least, you managed to solve your issue Dino_Man.

Oct 28, 2014 3:31 PM in response to Fruitwindow

Hey Fruitwindow,

You're not alone. Lots of separate threads about this on here if you search for them (myself included). I've escalated through AppleCare and it's been sent to engineering. Keep an eye on these threads listed below because I'll update if engineering get back to me with a fix.

iOs 8.1 Mail app keeps asking for iCloud password

iOS 8.1: creating new mail asks for icloud password

Oct 29, 2014 10:56 AM in response to Scoobs

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendar>make Default Account "iCloud". You'll enter your password one last time.

Scoobs wrote:

Hey Fruitwindow,

You're not alone. Lots of separate threads about this on here if you search for them (myself included). I've escalated through AppleCare and it's been sent to engineering. Keep an eye on these threads listed below because I'll update if engineering get back to me with a fix.

Oct 29, 2014 3:46 PM in response to Occum's Razor

Hey Occum's Razor,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately it hasn't resolved my issue. I actually don't even normally have the email part of iCloud enabled but I did in order to test out your suggestion. After I enter my password the prompt goes away for about 10 minutes, but it reappears when I try to create a new email message.

Nov 12, 2014 7:59 AM in response to Fruitwindow

Hey Fruitwindow,

Any chance you used a capital letter when you entered your iCloud username on the iPhone? I did and it seems that what was causing the problem.

Try this:

1. Log out of iCloud on your iPhone

2. Restart the phone

3. Log back into iCloud using all lowercase letters

I can't seem to force the password popup to reappear now and I've even enabled Airplane mode first as that is usually a way to force it to happen.

Let me know if it solves it for you please.

Nov 12, 2014 11:27 AM in response to Fruitwindow

Hi Fruitwindow,

Sorry, I should of been clearer. I didn't mean enter your password in lowercase letters, just your AppleID username. I had been entering my username with a capital letter at the start which seemed to be causing my problem. I still haven't had the popup again after 4 hours, and that's the longest I've seen it go away for

Nov 13, 2014 7:39 PM in response to Occum's Razor

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendar>make Default Account "iCloud".

Scoobs wrote:

Hey Fruitwindow,

iOS8.1 frequent email login to iCloud issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.