Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOs 8.1 Mail app keeps asking for iCloud password

Since the update to iOs 8.1 i have a problem with my mailbox.

Every time i want to create a new mail, it asks me for my iCloud password.

This happens on my iPhone (6) and iPad (Air) while im in my iCloud inbox, Gmail inbox, or just the general overview.

Whenever i press the create new mail icon it will ask for my iCloud password.

- When i give the iCloud password (correct one) it wont ask for it again in the next 15 mins

- When i dont give the iCloud password (cancel) i can just send mails but it will ask for the password whenever i create a new mail.

What i did:

- Remove iCloud account > reboot > Add iCloud account > didnt solve the problem

- Remove Keychain > didnt solve the problem

- Remove iCloud photo's > didnt solve the problem

- Remove iCloud mail > still asks for the iCloud password.

- Remove iCloud > solves the problem but i dont want to remove iCloud

- Disabled all iCloud options, (mail, contacts, etc) > didnt solve the problem

- Disabled 2 step verification > didnt solve the problem

Everytime i want to create a new mail, u see the phone/pad use the "syncing icon" 3x 5 seconds, maybe a link here?

Anyone else with any ideas that i can try?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 1:03 AM

94 replies

Oct 28, 2014 2:07 AM in response to Niznolwd

Hi Niznolwd,

I'm surprised you didn't find the other thread already talking about this exact issue. No fix yet, but I've detailed some other stuff to try, as suggested by AppleCare on this thread: Re: iOS 8.1: creating new mail asks for icloud password

My case has been escalated to engineering now from AppleCare and I will be posting any fixes that I receive from them on this thread.

Oct 28, 2014 2:16 AM in response to Niznolwd

Hi Niznolwd,

Yes, good idea, Happy to do that.

Most recent idea from the AppleCare rep I'm speaking to is that my phone has not prompted me to accept the new iCloud terms and conditions and so it is stuck in a loop. He asked me to try to force the phone to display the new terms and conditions so that I could accept them by downloading and launching 'Find my Friends'. Didn't work though as the Find my friends app didn't prompt me. I'll let you know when I hear something new back from AppleCare.

Oct 28, 2014 2:28 AM in response to Niznolwd

Yes, that's true. That does make it sound like a problem with your iCloud account.

However, in my case, I don't have the issue on my iPad - which is signed into the same iCloud account. Also, on my iPhone I got the same issue even after I restored it as a new device and signed into a completely different iCloud account!

Oct 28, 2014 3:59 PM in response to Niznolwd

That's interesting that it didn't start to happen after a while on your work iPad. I just tried my iPad this evening and I'm getting the same iCloud password popup message when I try to create a new mail or enable "Contacts Only' in Airdrop.

I still think it's a problem with our iCloud accounts. Some flag in the system isn't set or something for some reason. I don't even have mail switched on in my iCloud account so there is no valid reason why Mail.app would try and authenticate to iCloud just because we create a new email.

Signing out of iCloud fixes the issue for me (not that it's a valid long term solution) so that points the finger directly at a setting on my server side iCloud account I think.

Oct 29, 2014 4:13 AM in response to Scoobs

I also think the problem is related to my iCloud account.. When i dont use any of the iCloud options, just being logged i, it already asks for a password..

Im just too tired of this problem to do a fresh installation and such. I will just wait for Apple to come with some sort of solution.

Im mainly just hoping that updating to 8.1.1 will fix our problem! I will update through iTunes just to be sure when the update is available!

When i have any more information i will ofcourse share that!

Nov 4, 2014 3:36 AM in response to Niznolwd

Same issue here: Every time I try to reply, compose, or forward an email, I am asked to enter my iCloud password. This has been happening since the iOS update. None of the fixes have worked for me. I even turned iCloud completely off and I am still asked for the password every time. Hoping for an answer soon. Also wondering how widespread this issue is. I couldn't find that much about it and not that many replies here.

iOs 8.1 Mail app keeps asking for iCloud password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.