Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2014 Oct cannot wake up after sleep

Mac Mini 2014 Oct Version, cannot wake up after sleep by typing on keyboard or moving mouse (both hardwired USB) if external HDMI screen goes to sleep mode too (usually after 1 min if no signal coming from the MAC). To wake up, I ust turn off and turn on the screen and keep typing on the keyboard. I already checked "prevent computer from sleeping if display goes to sleep". But does not help. This is very annoying. I now try to set the sleep timer to more than 1 hour. Wasting my energy and not helping. I tried connecting my HDMI screen to a HDMI to mini-Display port adaptor cable, then plug into the thunderbolt port of the MAC. Same issue, no improvement.

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10), HDMI screen

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 3:53 AM

34 replies

Oct 24, 2014 7:42 PM in response to lllaass

Some updates on this. I tried two other 22" screen. Both of the seems to be working fine with sleep wake, but takes between 40 sec to one min to wake up after you typed something.

Topcon hdmi 22" screen

17 sec after keystrokes to turn wake screen

40 sec to wake computer

AOC hdmi 22" screen

19 sec after keystrokes to turn wake screen

38 sec to wake computer

I tried to switch to two other HDMI cables to see if it'll improve the situation of my original ASUS VX279 IPS HDMI screen.

But it didn't. Still never wakes up after it the MAC goes to sleep until you power cycle the screen.

I guess there is some hardware compatibility issue here.

Let me bring my mac mini to the shop to see if a replacement will help.

Oct 25, 2014 9:45 AM in response to cheungbx

I'm having the same exact problem with my 2014 Mac mini and a Viewsonic 22" screen. If the monitor goes to sleep, forget about waking it up without a power cycle of the monitor. Very annoying.

It doesn't happen when I use a VGA connection with the display port to VGA connector, but I need to be able to play protected content via iTunes.

Nov 1, 2014 5:36 AM in response to bobcomer

I am having the same issue with my 2014 mac mini. Once the display was sleep, I could not wake it up without shutting down the computer. I think this is a problem with the lightning ports of new mac mini. I tried mini-DP to DP and mini-DP-HDMI cables connecting with my display, both had the same issue. However, when using a normal HDMI cable to connect the HDMI port with my display, everything is normal.

I hope Apple can release a fix for this problem soon. Otherwise, I think just open the "Energy Saver" options in System Preferences and never let the display go to sleep.

Nov 2, 2014 2:51 AM in response to cheungbx

I have noticed this type of thing but only after a prolonged sleep of several hours e.g. overnight.

I find that by pressing the power button firmly, the mini wakes up normally.

The bug appears to disconnect the mouse and keyboard but leaves the power button capable of waking.

My display is connected to my late 2012 mini via HDMI

I also experience the other bug whereby if I have anything connected via the headphone socket, the computer freezes on wakeup and needs to have a forced shutdown by pressing the power button for 5 seconds.

Nov 4, 2014 9:04 AM in response to El Morche

I'm having a similar problem with a new 2014 Mac Mini. Several times during prolonged periods sleeping (e.g. overnight) it seems to just shut off entirely (despite the system preferences indicating that it shouldn't). Once it does this it won't boot up until I re-try 4-5 times. I've reset SMC, unplugged the only peripheral (HDMI TV) and gone into single-user mode to run fsck. This is a brand new Mac Mini with nothing much installed yet. Very surprising.

Symptom's of the failed start:

- takes an extra long time to hear the start up chime from when you push the power button when compared to normal

- Yosemite (came pre-installed) loading screen stalls about half-way through the status bar, the cursor never appears

- single user mode view of the start up sequence show stalling on things like "IO80211AWDLPeerManager: : doMonitorTImer(): Disabling AWDL due to no services and idel link."

Anyone else seeing this? I'm also experiencing the HDMI handshake issue where the HDMI audio device is not an option after waking from sleep - unplugging HMDI and rebooting mac seems to fix this. Again, very frustrating.

Nov 4, 2014 10:26 AM in response to cheungbx

Yosemite has a known problem with wake/sleep on the Mac Mini. It was identified early on in the beta process, but nothing has been done to address it yet. There are several other threads on the forum about this exact issue, but I have yet to see a workaround that actually solves the problem. The best answer I've seen is that Apple is aware of the problem and asking some users to submit data so they can actually figure out what is wrong with the OS. Probably weeks away from any solution. A related problem involves certain USB devices being "forgotten" when you re-start, which explains why the keyboard doesn't work. There are a couple of workarounds to get the USB devices to work again, but none are viable fixes for the real world. Reverting to Mavericks is your only real fix for now, and that is not an easy thing to do, as you have to take a bunch of extra steps to make sure your data can be "read' by Mavericks after you revert.

Dec 2, 2014 7:49 PM in response to darktolight

Hi,

Could you guide me where to change this setting?

Is it inside the Mac or your own monitor setting?

I have already set my sleep status to off whenever the monitor is switch off.

But once i switch off my Monitor (LG HDTV) and on it again, the tv will not be able to detect Mac Mini

Funny is that the problem only occurs few days ago. First few days it is working fine. GOnna try PRAM reset and SMC reset to see if it works (Recommended by Apple)

Thanks

Dec 3, 2014 9:21 PM in response to JohnnyP123456

I may know whats going on with the wake from sleep issue. I have a Mac Mini 2012 but this fix (see below) should work on any product running 10.8.2 Mine is at 10.10.1 and it worked. First off you can tell if your Mac Mini is in sleep mode by looking at the small light on the front of the Mini. If its pulsing... going from bright to dim its in sleep mode. If you put your Mac in sleep mode, or it goes into sleep mode it will wake from sleep BUT ONLY for the first 4 hours. After 4 hours it will go into what is known as "safe sleep". The light on the front will be off and you won't be able to wake your Mac. The only way to wake the Mac when in safe sleep is to hit the power button and then wait a minute or longer as your system will need to pull the data from the disk and load to ram. This is causing the issue where its not waking from sleep. You can move your mouse or hit the keys all you want but it won't wake from sleep. This is a real pain as you have to press the power button on the back of the Mac mini and wait for the system to come out of its slumber. Here's what Apple says:

With the release of the OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 supplemental update 2.0, a new feature was introduced to enter safe sleep after four hours of the computer being connected to AC power. This is an effort to comply with the European Energy Standards (ErP Lot6). This will only occur if there is no wireless or Ethernet activity and no activity from external devices such as USB storage devices. This is normal behavior for the following models:

• MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012 and later)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2012 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2012 and later)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012 and later)

I have found a fix that puts an end to this nonsense..... Go to the Mac terminal (Google if you don't know how or youtube) and run the following commands (Very easy to do and if a novice like my self can do you can for sure)

1. When in the terminal mode type:

pmset -g This will show your current configuration of your sleep, hibernate, etc You may want to print so you can restore these values if needed.

2. Change your standbydelay to 86400 86400 is number of seconds which is 24 hours. Here’s the command:

sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400

3. Change autopoweroffdelay to 86400 Here’s the command:

sudo pmset -a autopoweroffdelay 86400

4. At last but not least change autopoweroff to 0 Here’s the command:

sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

Run pmset -g to verify your setting have changed. I rebooted my system and checked again to make sure. Since I made the changes no more going into Safe sleep!!! You can change the values to what you like. I used 86400 secs. (24 hours) I hope this helps!

Dec 4, 2014 12:25 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks Ian for the advice.

Just an update on my current situation.

Yesterday I went to Energy saver and drag the scroll bar for "Display Sleep" and set it to "Never". Previously it was defaulted to 15 mins.

So far tested by switching off my HDTV and on it again, the display signal is still there(tested once yesterday night and this morning).

Shall try again tonight, if they problem is resolved. If it does, that means it is due to the bug in the OS(i'm running on Yosemite) which causes the display signal be permanently in sleep mode.

Dec 4, 2014 7:08 AM in response to cheungbx

I'm having a variation of this problem. I have a 2014 i7 Mini (internal SSD drive only, no other internal hard drive), connected via Display Port to a Dell 27-inch Ultrasharp monitor. There is also a USB connection from the monitor to an external USB hub, which is connected to the Mini. My keyboard is connected via USB to the monitor. Two external hard drives are connected to the Mini (not the hub) via USB. I experience the following:

• If I put the Mini to sleep, it will not wake without a "hard" reboot (long press of the power button)
  • If I manually shut off the monitor (with the Mini running), the Mini sleeps and won't wake without a "hard" reboot

I have my Energy preferences set so that the display never sleeps, hard drives are never put to sleep, and Smart Sleep is off. Very frustrating.

Mac Mini 2014 Oct cannot wake up after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.