Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my ipad air 2 make a loud "pop" sound every few hours?

evrery few hours, while using the pad (it doesn't happen in standby) there's a loud, med-high pitched POP That sounds like it's from the speakers..

i Searched on this problem and found that others are having the same problem with their ipad air 2's. And i'm not using headphones, but it sounds like people are getting that pop that route as well.

it this an issue with all the new ipads or just a few?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 3:36 PM

I am having the same problem. My iPad Air 2, cellular, 128 GB, arrived yesterday. The popping noise only happens at a single instant, random, and with no particular application. I suspect it is a software issue with the more powerful speakers that are in this new iPad. I'm troubleshooting this by varying the volume from very soft to full sound. I have the keyboard clicks on, but haven't checked to see if turning off the keyboard clicks has any influence on the sound. I really want to avoid sending this for a replacement.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2014 3:36 PM in response to Johndevere

I am having the same problem. My iPad Air 2, cellular, 128 GB, arrived yesterday. The popping noise only happens at a single instant, random, and with no particular application. I suspect it is a software issue with the more powerful speakers that are in this new iPad. I'm troubleshooting this by varying the volume from very soft to full sound. I have the keyboard clicks on, but haven't checked to see if turning off the keyboard clicks has any influence on the sound. I really want to avoid sending this for a replacement.

Oct 25, 2014 4:12 PM in response to Johndevere

Here's a link to a discussion on reddit that I found before posting here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2k51jg/ipad_air_2_fast_thin_vibrates_whil e_playing_sound/cli41vq

I Would be very surprised if it were a software issue... Also I have had the pop with the volume at the lowest, and near the highest... And in between.. The volume of the POP doesn't seem to change.

ill put my best guess in the hat... It could be a discharge of static electricity that built up on the new laminated glass display.

ssorry to say I've already repacked mine for return. I loved the speed! However, there are way too many bugs with 8.1. I could deal with the POP if iOS 8.1 were up to at least some quality bar.. I like the features in 8.1, but for,me, it's unusable with all the issues I've found. I wouldn't blame it on the testers.. they probably already found these issues. it looks like the bugs were 'postponed' and the release was rushed out the door..

ANd and I was just about to update my old ipad to 8.1.. I'm so glad I didn't.

ignore the part below.. I'm using safari and this editor is giving me ****. What's up with that?

...".........

Here's a link to a discussion on reddit that I found before posting here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2k51jg/ipad_air_2_fast_thin_vibrates_whil e_playing_sound/cli41vq

I Would be very surprised if it were a software issue... Also I have had the pop with the volume at the lowest, and near the highest... And in between.. The volume of the

Oct 25, 2014 5:13 PM in response to Johndevere

If the popping sound is the same volume all the time, make sure you don't have the "change with buttons" setting under "Sounds / Ringers and Alerts" set to "off". It was off by default on my iPad Air 2, which means that all alerts and ringers (which is the only place where this issue seems to happen - doesn't happen with videos, music or games) would be the same volume regardless what you have the master sound volume set to. Turning that setting "on" will adjust alert sounds to sync with your master volume setting.

Oct 26, 2014 9:15 PM in response to Johndevere

Toggling the volume to mute then full level, as well as toggling the "change with buttons" setting has given me >24 hours of not having that popping noise. I agree while it sounds like a static charge pop sound, I would think that an ungrounded iPad would fry its internal electronics and Apple would have a massive recall on its hands.

So we shall see. I love this iPad, I hope this is a software problem. I figured I wasn't the only one having this issue. Thanks for everyone's input!

Oct 28, 2014 12:17 PM in response to jd999878

I Think it's awesome, too... The speed, both processor and network, is incredible. and the 2GB of RAM seems to help a lot. But, t I'm still going to return the iPad Air 2, and wait until this issue and others are resolved, then I'll buy it again. I wish someone from Apple would speak up on this topic.

if it happened to be a software bug, it would surprise me, but then again, the popping noise surprised me... I wouldn't return it if I knew there was a fix in the near future, but given the 14-day return policy, it's safer to give it back and wait.

Oct 28, 2014 1:34 PM in response to Johndevere

The pop noise occurred again when I had the "Change with Buttons" volume under Sounds in System Preferences set to "off." I did not have the popping noise >48 hr while the setting was "on." Will see if the popping noise occurs again with the setting to "on." That might be the problem. The volume of the pop was about the same volume as the "Ringer and Alerts" volume.

Oct 30, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Johndevere

I have the iPad Ringers and Alerts Change with Buttons settings to "on", and I heard a pop at the same level as the system volume when I opened the iPad smart cover. First one I've heard since 10/28.

If this were a static electricity problem, I would have thought I would hear a pop irregardless of the volume of the speakers.

If this were a hardware problem, Apple would have an expensive recall on their hands.

So I'm hopeful this is a software problem. I really don't want to exchange my iPad and get another one that has the same popping noise problem.

Sigh.

Oct 30, 2014 2:41 PM in response to Johndevere

having the same issue ......first it was a lot.... And I thought that it was the way the cell was turned off default and unable to turn off/on the LTE chip on my 128 GB gold DMPNK starting serial ..... So I went in bought a data plan and then turned on and turned off the cell ...... This reduced the popping sound by 70% but still happens 1-3x in a day.....

Oct 30, 2014 8:06 PM in response to Johndevere

Went to the Apple Store today with my popping iPad Air 2. The Genius said that it seemed like a hardware problem to him. He exchanged my iPad Air 2 for a new iPad Air 2, and I haven't had any sound popping problems in the last 3 hours. I will post back on this thread if I do end up having sound pops on this new iPad Air 2. But if you don't hear back from me, I will consider this problem resolved for me.

Why does my ipad air 2 make a loud "pop" sound every few hours?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.