Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro is really slow after yosemite update.

Hi my mbp 2011 model runs extremely slow after the yosemite update. All programs take forever to open and I constantly get the spinning rainbow wheel.

Please help me!!!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 10:48 AM

Hi I have a MBP 15in early 2011 model but have not updated it yet fearing what you have just told me. It might be caused by the lower hardware specs of 2011 models or due to Yosemite working in the background. I have seen people talking about Yosemite indexing their computers which takes time and also a decent amount of CPU.

55 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2014 10:48 AM in response to Shivan Sareen

Hi I have a MBP 15in early 2011 model but have not updated it yet fearing what you have just told me. It might be caused by the lower hardware specs of 2011 models or due to Yosemite working in the background. I have seen people talking about Yosemite indexing their computers which takes time and also a decent amount of CPU.

Oct 27, 2014 10:54 PM in response to Shivan Sareen

I am experiencing the exact same problem. I thought I'd give a detailed description of what I'm experiencing, in the hopes that it'll help in finding the solution—as it's kind of urgent.

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2012), and have updated to Yosemite 10.10. About a day after I updated, my computer started experiencing what Sareen described. Specifically: The slowness affects all programs individually—in other words, if TextEdit has the spinning rainbow wheel, this does not mean Finder or Safari will have the wheel; rarely does the slowness affect everything at once, though occasionally it does. (I have never experienced comparable slowness on any program but Safari on my MacBook Pro before these past few days of Yosemite.) I experience the slowness/freeze about every ten to thirty seconds while working on most programs, and the freeze lasts about the same (10 to 30 seconds). All programs are affected: Safari, TextEdit, iTunes, Finder, Spotlight, Calendar, Dictionary, Calculator, etc. I cannot listen to a song on iTunes for more than about 7 seconds before it stops to load. Dictionary is the absolute worst—any action taken there will have to load. Particularly affected are keyboard shortcuts and right clicks, but anything can set it off. Apart from the obvious spinning rainbow wheel, some other manifestations: Spotlight often shows no search results; words typed in word-processing programs often do not appear for a good ten seconds; turning wifi on and off takes about 10–30 seconds to actually take effect. As I type these words here, I can get about five to ten out before the rainbow wheel appears and I have to wait (TextEdit is not nearly so severe). Strangely, I have not had anything crash.

Running disk utilities and left-shift-option-control-power have been of no use. It seems to get worse the longer the computer is in use—I have greater breaks between freezes if I restart my computer, but within an hour it will be right back to what I described above.

Oct 28, 2014 12:48 AM in response to Shivan Sareen

I had the same problem after upgrading to Yosemite on my iMac Unibody 2010. Until the issue will be resolved even with an update of Yosemite, and whether it will be resolved, I recommend replacing the Yosemite Dock.app with the Mavericks Dock.app. In this way I have solved this lags. Now Yosemite on my iMac runs fast and fluid almost like Mavericks.

Oct 28, 2014 1:32 PM in response to Shivan Sareen

Activity Monitor - Mavericks also Yosemite

Activity Monitor in Mavericks has significant changes

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Slow Mac After Mavericks

Things you can do to resolve slowdowns see post by Kappy

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

Oct 28, 2014 1:43 PM in response to DJMay

I've got it directlyfromMavericks. I've stopped thedockvia Terminal,butI believeyou cando it also from Activity monitor. Keep in mind thatwhenthedockis closedyou will black screen too. After changing logicallyyou'll get Dock,Dashboard andLaunchpadofMavericks.Butaverylightweightsystem too.

Oct 31, 2014 8:48 PM in response to Shivan Sareen

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I have an early 2011 13' Macbook Pro with a 2.3 GHz core i5 with 4 GB of RAM and a 320 GB Disk Hardrive with over 120 GB of free space. I purchased it used from someone who used it only for school and not at home. It looks brand new and runs like if it was brand new. I use processor intensive music producing software and my Mac is almost constantly hooked up to some console or another (usually NA's Traktor Kontrol S4 when live or Maschine when i'm producing). I also use Cubase, Reason, Logic Pro X, Ableton live and Fruity Loops. Those are all very hungry in terms of my computers ressources but I have never had any problems but I still intend to double my RAM to 8 GB because every software and console I use or will use is getting bigger, better and hungrier with every update.

After reading your post I decided not to upgrade to Yosemite. I was already not that thrilled by it's look (that gray box for the dock looks like something out of 2005. It would've been much better to just let the icons float with no background or at the least leave it as is). Now that I've read about freezing issues I am absolutely sure that I won't upgrade. If that were to happen during a live set it would be pretty awful.

So to all of you out there you use audio or video software or wish to continue watching HD movie while the next Game of Thrones episode is downloading and also have a couple of tabs open in your browser of choice I think you should do as I did. Which is nothing.

MacBook Pro is really slow after yosemite update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.