Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Finder bug, folders get unresponsive in icon view

I recently bought mid 2014 Retina Macbook Pro (13 inch) and immediately installed OS X Yosemite. I've noticed that, when I sometimes open Finder, I can't see i.e. my Applications in Applications folder in icon view. It shows me empty directory but when I switch to the list view it's all working.

Sometimes sleep/wake operation helps to repair that problem but not always. Just Finder gets unresponsive.

Is there any solution for this problem?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 6:02 AM

129 replies

Oct 28, 2014 7:13 AM in response to Tomasz Kasperek

I have a similar issue. Here's what I get:

1. Create a new folder on your desktop

2. Drag and drop any file into it, without opening the folder

3. Open the folder

In that case, my folder is show empty, OR the file name is just black bar. If I try to resize the finder window, some strange graphic bugs appear.

4. Close the window, the re-open it

Everything works fine from then on, until you create another new folder.

Could you please try that real quick and confirm? Running Yosemite on a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 15,4"

Oct 29, 2014 1:05 PM in response to SebAndWag

Same here,

also 2014 Retina Macbook Pro (13 inch) and immediately installed OS X Yosemite and facing the same problem that finder sometimes just don't show the folders or show them all overlayed and they are not openable...

Restarting finder helps for a short time... But I did experience it when freshly restarted the mac as well...

Can be reproduced when mounting an SMB-Share... It opens directly but is empty... Mounting it again (without unmounting) shows the folders, but it works only for like 2-3 minutes...

Oct 30, 2014 4:50 AM in response to Jojobaoil

I've seen instances of this resolved by trashing the Finder plist file. It means having to recreate your Finder preferences.

The file's in ~/Library/Preferences, called com.apple.finder.plist

Drag the file to Trash (or Desktop if you want to hang on to it, then relaunch Finder (Option-right-click the Finder Dock icon and choose Relaunch).

Hope I helps

Yosemite Finder bug, folders get unresponsive in icon view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.