Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 constantly disconnecting from Audi MMI

My iPhone 6 constantly (and, it appears, randomly) disconnects from the MMI system in my 2013 A6. I updated the cable to the latest version (genuine Audi) to see if this solved the issue but it continues to do so. I didn't have the problem with my iPhone 5 which I never bothered to upgrade to iOS 8, so I suspect it's an iOS 8 problem. I've tried multiple ways of connecting, phone off, connect, then switch on. Phone on, connect, MMI on etc. etc. to no avail. My current suspicion is it may be a charging issue as my phone was 100% charged this morning when I plugged it in, and everything worked fine but when I plugged in this evening (circa 45% charged) the constant disconnecting occurred again. It will connect, play a few seconds/minutes of a track, disconnect and then the process repeats.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2014 12:35 PM

The "AL" cable with a yellow ring on one end does not work. The phone needs to be near fully charged for it to work properly.

Hopefully there is a firmware update abailable from Audi at my next service visit or Apple releases a update to fix this issue.

in the meantime, if you want your iPhone 6 to work in your audi using this new cable, make sure it's fully charged.....

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2014 12:35 PM in response to John-M-O

The "AL" cable with a yellow ring on one end does not work. The phone needs to be near fully charged for it to work properly.

Hopefully there is a firmware update abailable from Audi at my next service visit or Apple releases a update to fix this issue.

in the meantime, if you want your iPhone 6 to work in your audi using this new cable, make sure it's fully charged.....

Jan 3, 2017 4:14 AM in response to PapiFed

Hi All:

I had the same problem, A5, iPhone 6, iOS 10.2, yellow AMI cable. If the phone was not fully charged when it was connected then it would constantly lose and then re-establish the connection. After looking through all of these posts, I bought a lightning extension cable from Amazon and it has completely solved the problem. The phone was less than 50% charged when I connected it and it worked perfectly.

Here's the link to the one I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013GLDHVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie= UTF8&psc=1

So, if it is something to do with the way that the extension lead is wired, then why can't Audi use the same wiring configuration on their cable? Doesn't sound like rocket science to me...

Mar 1, 2017 11:40 AM in response to TheZyklist

I have had exactly the same problem with my 2014 Audi A6 and yellow ring audi cable. Worked fine with an iPhone 5 but not working with iphone 6s or iphone 7 both on iOS 10.2.1. Both phones work with the same cable in my wife's 2014 A3. Having got exasperated with the supplying audi garage, who couldn't be bothered frankly, I researched myself and arrived here.

I have bought the lightning to lightning extension cable on eBay (8Pin Lightning Extender Extension Data Cable for iPhone 5S 6 iPad Air Mini iPod) and it has worked like a charm. All works fine now and after 6 months of frustration at last the ami is working.

it also works using an old ami cable for the 20 pin iphone connection and an apple twenty pin to lightning adapter cable. Clearly the problem is nothing to do with Apple and all about the inability of audi to produce a cable fit for purpose. The adapter cable clearly limits the charge going to the phone and prevents the overload that causes the disconnect issues.

Oct 29, 2014 4:48 AM in response to MrB20VT

For anyone else having this issue, it's definitely a charging problem. If the phone is 100% charged there's no issue, infact it would appear to cease to be a problem when the phone is greater than circa 75% charged.

I suspect that as the 6 (phone, not car!) is capable of drawing more current for rapid charging it is attempting to do this and nothing in the MMI circuit is preventing the attaempt, howver the MMI isn't capable of delivering that current so it shuts down charging and restarts, this repeats endlessly until the phone has sufficient charge to stop demanding the higher current. I expect (and hope) that either a software fix from apple (stop demanding 2.1 amps where only 1 is available) or a cable update (do not attempt to deliver greater than 1 amp) from Audi will fix this some time in the not too distant future. In the meantime I just have to make sure my phone has decent charge before I get in the car, annoying but not insurmountable.

Nov 2, 2014 2:51 PM in response to MrB20VT

I'm having exactly the same problem with my 2013 A3 and iPhone 6. My iPhone 4S used to work perfectly, but I can't connect the iPhone 6 via the MMI cable. I first thought the cable was defective but apparently it's not.

The problem is the same I guess: when I plug the phone, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every 3-4 seconds, making it impossible to use. My girlfriend also has an iPhone 5C but I didn't try it as I was afraid I could damage her phone if the cable was defective.

Let's hope Apple finds a solution rapidly, as using the phone just via Bluetooth isn't very comfortable to browse tracks when listening to music.

Nov 19, 2014 1:47 AM in response to MrB20VT

I have the same problem with my 2014 Audi A5/iPhone 6 with the 4F0051510AD lightning cable. This cable has now been replaced with a new 4F0051510AL lightning cable which my Audi dealer has ordered so I will see if this fixes the problem. Apparently this new AL cable also transfers Album Art and Video unlike the AD cable. I don't think it is an Apple iOS issue as my iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5th Gen don't disconnect and they all have 8.1.1 installed, so seems more like a hardware issue.

I currently have the 4F0051510R 30 Pin cable with the lightning adapter and it works fine with the iPhone 6 and transfers Album Art but not video due to the adapter not supporting video transfer.

I didn't realise the 4F0051510AD lightning cable stayed connected if the phone was charged but I have just tested this and it does seem to be the case, still not ideal though!

Nov 20, 2014 3:45 AM in response to MrB20VT

Hi, just to let you know I collected my new 4F0051510AL lightning cable yesterday and it has resolved the disconnection problem. I have also tested running the battery down to 10% and connecting my iPhone 6 and it works fine with no more disconnects. 🙂 This is apparently now the correct lightning cable for MMI 3G+.

The cable transfers Album Art but still no Video but at least it resolves this problem.

iPhone 6 constantly disconnecting from Audi MMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.