Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 does not ring or make any sound notifications after installing iOS 8.1

What can fix this issue? iPhone 6 has no sound notifications after installing 8.1

I have to be looking at the phone to know I have a message or call.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 4:03 PM

27 replies

Oct 29, 2014 3:33 PM in response to deggie

Thanks, all of these items had been checked before. However, I flicked the mute button on and off several times. Then a friend messaged me. It worked. Then she called me. The ringer worked, also. It must have been kind of frozen in mute mode. Moving the button back and forth several times unfroze it. I was ready to give up. Thank goodness I tried them again when I got your answer. Thanks again.

Nov 5, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Jane1950

I have the same problem. I upgraded to ios 8.1 a few days after it came out. Sound worked fine, I haven't changed anything on the phone. I have the iPhone 6 Plus and now new email or text messages don't make any sound and when I go into settings, if I try to change the sound for new mail or message, the phone just vibrates no matter what sound I pick. I get sound when the phone rings but I can't hear the person talking to me who called unless I put them on speaker. It worked fine yesterday as I get several emails and text messages and phone calls and today I'm having all kinds of sound issues. What's going on? Is it hardware or software? I've rebooted the phone but that didn't fix it either. This is insane, to work fine one day and not work the next. Would someone at Apple please tell me what this is all about and how to fix it?

Bob

Nov 8, 2014 7:41 AM in response to lauckstreet

had the same issue with iPhone 5s , tried everthing reset wise to see if I could sort it , it was stuck in headphone mode even though nothing was plugged into the port ,I blew the port out too thinking maybe something was stuck in there but still no joy so booked into the genius store & went to bed sulking

Then morning came & BOOM !! It was ok again God knows what that was all about

Nov 25, 2014 9:11 AM in response to Jane1950

What you have to do, and this appears to be essential after you update the OS, is to reboot your phone.

1. Hold down the sleep/wake button and home button simultaneously.
2. Let go when the Apple logo appears and the iPhone is booting up.

This will usually help.

I did with mine.

Like the joke says.

There were three engineers driving along in a car and it the engine stops.

The mechanical engineer says, "It must be the valves".

The chemical engineer says, "It must be the fuel mix".

The computer engineer says, "Nah. Just get out of the car, get back in, slam the doors and start the engine".

Feb 15, 2015 2:33 PM in response to meganrn

I successfully got my iPhone 6 messages sound by following Timothy Holt directions.

Thanks Tim.

Timothy HoltNov 25, 2014 9:11 AM Re: iPhone 6 does not ring or make any sound notifications after installing iOS 8.1
Re: iPhone 6 does not ring or make any sound notifications after installing iOS 8.1in response to Jane1950

What you have to do, and this appears to be essential after you update the OS, is to reboot your phone.

1. Hold down the sleep/wake button and home button simultaneously.
2. Let go when the Apple logo appears and the iPhone is booting up.

Feb 16, 2015 3:51 AM in response to claude seguy

I am still having the issue that the phone doesn't ring when locked. There are various debates about this, most which revolve around the "Do not Disturb" settings. One circular thread is here (in that the issue wasn't really resolved): https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5525623

One has two options with "silence". "Always" or "Only when phone is locked". Unfortunately, like most people, I let my phone lock itself, Which means, until I unlock it, it is silent.

A bit daft, since the only way around this is tho leave the phone unlocked, and drain power.

The jury is still out. I even went into that apple store yesterday, and they gave me a new iPhone. I reinstalled from zero all my apps and stuff. Still didn't ring this morning... And, since the phone locked itself while I was typing this - it still doesn't ring...

iPhone 6 does not ring or make any sound notifications after installing iOS 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.