Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

corrupt

System Information:

• MBP Late 2013, running 10.10
  • iPad 2, running 8.1
  • All books in question were purchased with the same, and my one and only Apple ID.

I have a problem with new purchased books not opening on iBooks for mac. Whether the purchase is made on the mac or my iOS device, every book I've purchased since the Yosemite upgrade results in an error upon trying to open them which says: "This book can't be opened. The book is corrupt."

User uploaded file

Steps I have tried:

1. Delete affected books from ibooks for mac & my iOS device. Redownload book. Same error appears. Redownloading book on iOS device downlaods and opens flawlessly.
  2. Delete books from mac, sign-out of my store account both on my mbp & iOS device. Reboot. Sign-into store account. Redownload book. Same error.
  3. Tried to re-transfer books from itunes. Same error.
  4. Tried killing all process I could find associated with iBooks & iTunes, re-downloading books. Same error.

Some odd things:

1. All books continue to work fine on my iOS device (8.1).
  2. Books purchased prior to upgrading to 10.10 continue to open correctly on my MBP & iOS device. Even if I delete them & re-download them.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2017 6:33 AM

Apple Support was able to solve this for me:

In iBooks on you Mac:

1) First go to Store -> Deauthorize this computer...

2) Then go to Store -> Log out

3) Next go to Store -> Authorize this computer...

4) Finally, go to Store -> Log In

This solved the problem.

41 replies

Nov 16, 2018 12:05 PM in response to Alohajoe5

I have just had this issue, and followed all the steps that various posts have described.

Then I tried this, and it worked.

deauthorise your iTunes account, and then reauthorise it.

Oct 30, 2014 6:52 AM in response to Alohajoe5

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen. Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take one of the actions that you're having trouble with. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Oct 30, 2014 7:08 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

Will Do. I did, however notice something rather odd that is only now showing up:

Upon signing out of my account & deleting local copies of books, restarting, launching the app, logging back in, and choosing "show icloud books", It properly displays my purchases (purchased by me, with the only apple id I have), however, if I then go "View My account", my 'purchase history' is blank. The system shows I have a pending pre-order for a book, it shows correctly the devices I have associated with my apple id, & it shows my purchases made with it when chosing "show icloud books", but nothing is showing up in my purchase history? Could that have just been cleared out when reinstalling the OS & doesn't get updated unless I purchase another book? If not, could this be an apple id issue?

Oct 30, 2014 10:31 AM in response to Alohajoe5

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Oct 30, 2014 1:23 PM in response to Linc Davis

Step 1 fails and the app hangs immediately upon launch.

Step 2 results in the same error in safe mode

As I've been watching the console I've been noticing that I'm having more errors with launchd & sandboxd. It seems very similar to problems in these threads:

Guide: How to solve Yosemite memory leaks and CPU usage

MacBook iBooks says "Cannot Connect to iBooks store"

and Yosemite made my Mac noisy and slow

The errors, although they have not caused a hard system crash for me yet, seem similar to the ones listed in:

launchd crashing Yosemite

Essentially, launchd tries to run a process or touch a directory and it is denied by sandboxd.

I was curious even if I could just do a system reinstall from the recovery partition and I ran into the same problem listed here:

Recovery Partition error

Wherein, using command & r, I cannot install osx (I have network limitations at the moment). I'm beginning to think this is less of a problem with iBooks for mac itself, and more of a problem with Yosemite.

Oct 30, 2014 4:48 PM in response to Alohajoe5

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you use FileVault 2, then before running the Installer you must launch Disk Utility and select the icon of the FileVault startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main Recovery screen.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Nov 16, 2014 3:29 PM in response to Linc Davis

I am having the same issue. Here is my log:

11/16/14 5:21:37.248 PM iBooks[4958]: WARN: Asking for an editor frame for something we don't know where it is.

11/16/14 5:21:37.248 PM iBooks[4958]: WARN: Asking for an editor frame for something we don't know where it is.

11/16/14 5:21:37.800 PM iBooks[4958]: WARN: Asking for an editor frame for something we don't know where it is.

11/16/14 5:21:40.891 PM storeaccountd[359]: AccountServiceDelegate: Accepting new connection <NSXPCConnection: 0x7f8e1c5cf1b0> connection from pid 4958 with interface <AccountServiceInterface: 0x7f8e1c5cf4f0> (PID 4958)

11/16/14 5:21:40.894 PM com.apple.CommerceKit.TransactionService[4962]: TransactionServiceDelegate: Accepting new connection <NSXPCConnection: 0x7f8f5502a350> connection from pid 4958 with interface <TransactionServiceInterface: 0x7f8f55057ed0> (PID 4958)

11/16/14 5:21:40.895 PM storeaccountd[359]: AccountServiceDelegate: Accepting new connection <NSXPCConnection: 0x7f8e1c2d25c0> connection from pid 4962 with interface <AccountServiceInterface: 0x7f8e1c2d31e0> (PID 4962)

11/16/14 5:21:40.906 PM storeaccountd[359]: AccountServiceDelegate: Accepting new connection <NSXPCConnection: 0x7f8e1c5d2b10> connection from pid 4958 with interface <AccountServiceInterface: 0x7f8e1c5d21f0> (PID 4958)

11/16/14 5:21:41.609 PM storeaccountd[359]: ADI: {

"Cache-Control" = private;

Connection = "keep-alive";

"Content-Encoding" = gzip;

"Content-Length" = 311;

"Content-Type" = "text/xml; charset=UTF-8";

Date = "Sun, 16 Nov 2014 23:21:42 GMT";

Vary = "Accept-Encoding";

"apple-timing-app" = "221 ms";

"cteonnt-length" = 598;

"x-apple-application-instance" = 80007;

"x-apple-application-site" = NWK;

"x-apple-jingle-correlation-key" = 2OSXLANFG4OI6;

"x-webobjects-loadaverage" = 0;

}

11/16/14 5:21:41.610 PM storeaccountd[359]: AccountServiceDelegate: Accepting new connection <NSXPCConnection: 0x7f8e1c5d5800> connection from pid 4958 with interface <AccountServiceInterface: 0x7f8e1c5d5b20> (PID 4958)

11/16/14 5:21:50.846 PM sharingd[361]: 17:21:50.845 : Starting Handoff advertising

11/16/14 5:22:00.298 PM sharingd[361]: 17:22:00.298 : Starting Handoff advertising

11/16/14 5:22:02.602 PM CalendarAgent[199]: [com.apple.calendar.store.log.caldav.coredav] [Refusing to parse response to PROPPATCH because of content-type: [text/html; charset=UTF-8].]

11/16/14 5:22:02.668 PM CalendarAgent[199]: [com.apple.calendar.store.log.caldav.coredav] [Refusing to parse response to PROPPATCH because of content-type: [text/html; charset=UTF-8].]

11/16/14 5:22:08.651 PM sharingd[361]: 17:22:08.651 : Starting Handoff advertising

11/16/14 5:22:08.769 PM sharingd[361]: 17:22:08.769 : Starting Handoff advertising

11/16/14 5:22:10.773 PM sharingd[361]: 17:22:10.773 : Stopping Handoff advertising

11/16/14 5:22:12.221 PM mdworker[5108]: CoreData: error: Property 'updated' is a scalar type on class 'NSManagedObject' that does not match its Entity's property's scalar type. Dynamically generated accessors do not support implicit type coercion. Cannot generate a getter method for it.

11/16/14 5:22:12.222 PM mdworker[5108]: -[NSManagedObject updated]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7f96cbc3e9d0

11/16/14 5:22:12.222 PM mdworker[5108]: ENSpotlightImporter:importFileAtPath:attributes:error: caught exception: -[NSManagedObject updated]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7f96cbc3e9d0

corrupt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.