Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 freezes from time to time

I had an iPad Air (1) for a year or so .... it never froze up. I moved to a new iPad Air 2 when it came out. It freezes up from time to time. Maybe a couple times a day, then I might go day or so when it doesn't freeze, and then it will do it again. The screen just freezes. I have to reboot it each time it does this. And there's no discernible pattern to what might be triggering it. It can happen in any app, or when I tap on any app.

I know I can try doing a restore (I'd rather not... I really hate doing that... takes forever). I'll do a restore if this becomes a real problem. It's interesting that for the year I owned the iPad Air (1), it NEVER froze -- it was rock solid. In the couple weeks I've had the iPad Air 2, it's freezed up on me probably about 10 times. I'm hoping that perhaps an update will address this (unless, of course, I have a lemon).

I'm wondering if any one else has encountered this. Thanks....

Posted on Oct 29, 2014 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 3:11 PM

Same problem here, just had it for the second time since I have it.

never had it with my iPad 3....

is it 'just' an ios8 bug or a hardware problem?

86 replies

Nov 3, 2014 1:47 PM in response to BrianNW

Same issue here. Have had it since Oct 24th and its happened about 4 or 5 times. No pattern or sequence of events just completely freezes. Only fix is to reboot using Home button and power switch. Hopefully the freeze is captured in the logs and sent to Apple (if you've allowed this in the settings) and Apple are aware of the issue. I've seen a few posts on various forums with similar problem and even a Youtube video showing the exact same problem.

I hope it can be fixed with a software update !

Nov 4, 2014 11:59 AM in response to Simon50p

My iPad Air 2 is 64G WiFi model. I was wondering if Touch ID might have something to do with it. It's a very intermittent problem for me. It's not to the point where I'll do a restore. And Apple support always recommends a restore -- I truly hate restoring.... great way to kill an entire evening. In my experience, it rarely helps. If there's an underlying software or hardware problem -- and I hope this is a software problem -- then I can't see how a restore will help. A software update would.

Nov 5, 2014 8:19 PM in response to BrianNW

I Just got an iPad air 2 last week - 64gb cellular model - worked fine until just now, froze twice so far, once in mail and once in safari. Did a hard reset - holding power/home buttons together,working again now. Had an iPad air before for a while and never had this problem, hope it's not something to do with the hardware!

Nov 5, 2014 10:27 PM in response to BrianNW

Hi, what's the version of iOS 8 your iPad Air 2 has? If there is a update for the iOS, I think you need to do the update. I know that some iPad Air 2 are running the lower version of iOS 8 which cause the sudden frozen issue. After updating to the latest iOS 8.1.0, the frozen problem fixed. And of course, apps on your iPad Air should be updated as well.

iPad Air 2 freezes from time to time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.