Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail: Organize By Conversation - wrong emails

I'm finding in Yosemite Mail that the "Organize By Conversation" view is useless because it is grouping together unrelated emails. I can have two separate threads of email discussion - featuring unconnected contributors - but Mail elects to combine them into a single conversation thread.

How can I stop it doing this?

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 12:08 PM

195 replies

Oct 9, 2017 8:19 AM in response to Dan Lineaweaver

Has anyone continued having this problem despite switching Mail software?

My mail is grouped 100% correctly online on Google Mail.

However on all email apps it was mixing up my mail.
I started on Spark then moved to another 3rd party Mail app, then tried Apple's own, and this issue was still there.

It led me to look at what is the constant between all the software. I nailed it down to the system clock.

My system is grouping messages incorrectly because I run my system clock +12mins fast (sounds silly but its beneficial to me to feel like Im constantly late...). So the system time doesnt match the 'real' international time, and it creates a weird vortex of mixing up groupings and email trails in incoming and sent messages on all of the applications.

Reverting my system clock to the 'set time and date automatically' setting resolved the issue across all software.

Hope that helps someone out. Was driving me crazy.

Nov 3, 2014 8:59 AM in response to Richard Carr

Hi Richard Carr,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you want to turn off Organize by Conversation. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help you resolve or isolate the issue.

Mail (Yosemite): View conversations

Turn conversations on or off: Choose View > Organize by Conversation. A checkmark next to the command indicates conversations are on.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day,

Mario

Nov 11, 2014 12:04 PM in response to Richard Carr

I have been having the same problem as Richard. I followed the advice of uriiam and unchecked the "include related messages" option. This "seems" to have fixed the problem. However, then what is this option for. It was linking things that have ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION. Not the same subjects, recipients, or message body, etc.... Literally no relation between the emails and yet, they showed together.

Nov 14, 2014 2:57 AM in response to kluchy

I also have this issue. Noticed it a few days ago. The email Subject is completely different. I am missing emails from people because they are hidden within a conversation of another email! I have switched off ""include related messages" but this has not fixed it for me. Its only a couple of emails, but nevrtheless its important for work, I cant be missing emails from customers.

I dont know if its related, but previously when you hit the little arrow icon to expand individual conversations, the emails were indented a bit, so you can see they are part of the expanded conversation. Now they are not indented for me, and because its mixing up unrelated emails with different subjects, when I do expand a conversation i cannot easily see where this conversation stops, and which emails are part of it.

Nov 14, 2014 6:22 AM in response to Richard Carr

I did a little more research into this.

• It seems that this problem has troubled people even before Yosemite. For some reason Apple's not getting the definition of a thread correctly (OK, it might be tricky but still...) and it's just getting worse instead of better. In my case Yosemite's Mail is joining threads that are obviously unrelated. Somebody there needs to put some "I" into their "AI"...
  • Yes, if you uncheck the "include related emails" then your replies are taken out of the conversation which is annoying.
  • I wish they would add an option to specify to Mail: this email is not part of the conversation and alternatively this email is.
  • As a bandaid I customized the toolbar adding the "Conversation" and "Show/Hide Related Messages" icons. Most of the time I set both to off. When I quickly want to look at the whole thread I click the "Show/Hide" icon (and yes, it still brings unrelated messages if those were added to the thread) and/or the "Conversation" icon. It's not elegant but it works in the sense that I can see the whole thread when I need to and I don't risk missing any messages as mentioned above.

Mail: Organize By Conversation - wrong emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.