Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay Not Working "Hold Near Reader to Pay"

I have tried Apple Pay at Several locations, including Mc Donalds and such, with no luck.

1. My iPhone 6 Plus prompted me to pay with Apple Pay

2. I gently placed my finger on the fingerPrint Reader and it reads my fingerprint

3. Says Hold Near Reader to pay. Then nothing... I wait and wait and nothing.

I have tried with and without a case, holding it near and directly on the reader, and with both Credit and Debit cards.

Does anyone have any ideas?

User uploaded file

the last time was at a shop with a NFC reader, and the lady ahead of me used her iPhone 6 just fine.

Thank You

David

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 11:17 AM

Ok, so when it says 'reader', what is it talking about? What is the reader? The camera? I put my fingerprint on the scanner whatever and then it said hold near reader but *** is the reader? I feel stupid for not being able to figure this out. Google has not helped.

62 replies

Nov 5, 2014 2:44 PM in response to David_Grossman

Hi David ..

"I gently placed my finger on the fingerPrint Reader and it reads my fingerprint"

To pay with Apple Pay using your default card, hold your iPhone within an inch of the contactless reader with your finger held on Touch ID without pressing it. I've noticed Touch ID is rather sensitive.

Also, make sure the display is free of finger prints.

Set up and use Apple Pay

If that happens again, reset your iPhone:

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Then try Apple Pay again.

No data is lost due to a reset.

Jul 1, 2017 11:19 AM in response to Banga1

Banga1 wrote:

Ok, so when it says 'reader', what is it talking about? What is the reader? The camera? I put my fingerprint on the scanner whatever and then it said hold near reader but *** is the reader? I feel stupid for not being able to figure this out. Google has not helped.

The reader is part of the payment terminal:

https://www.apple.com/media/us/apple-pay/2014/d0e4d8b6-778c-46b2-b830-096087c9f2 aa/feature/normal/applepay-normal-cc-us-…

Nov 5, 2014 8:22 PM in response to hbueain

I has same problem at Walgreen...then I try couple times to place my fingerprint on it and then it go through. Then next two days I came back at Walgreen and it didn't work anymore, after I placed the phone/fingerprint on it has "check mark" but it didn't go through transaction and I try again and it did have "check mark" on my phone but still didn't go through...even Store Manager looks up the system and didn't show any transaction in their system. I give up and used my card. On my passbook it tell me the Last Transaction and location but didn't show amount.

By the way...I have Wells Fargo Credit Card and iPhone 6 Plus.

Nov 10, 2014 8:21 AM in response to davidgrossman

davidgrossman wrote:

SOLVED🙂

I solved the issue by doing a full Backup and Restore. After that it worked the very first time I used it. I think the issue was related to OTA updates vs fresh install of 8.1.

I am trying that solution.

My wife bought the iPhone 6 and I bought the 6+. Hers works perfectly while mine doesn't respond at all or has the "Hold Near Reader to Pay" error. Thus it is not a credit card problem for us.

I called Apple support and while chatting was told to "Reset All Settings" on the phone and to try it. It didn't work. Since I couldn't test it while chatting with support they instructed be to do a complete restore if the first step didn't work. Support said it is more likely to be software problem.

I did the complete restore yesterday. I have yet to test the Apple Pay and hope it works. I will do that this afternoon.

Originally, I had little hope in that solution working. Thus, I already set a Genius Bar appointment for Thursday to test the hardware. The Apple Store is one hour away.

Your post gives me hope, so I will try it today.

Also, I should note that when I activated my phone November 5 it didn't have 8.1. I had a few hiccups updating. So doing a complete restore gives me hope.

Thanks.

Apple Pay Not Working "Hold Near Reader to Pay"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.