Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite 10.10.1 causing Safari not to play YouTube videos...

Hi guys/girls,

I installed Yosemite on my iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007) when it was first released and I had no issues whatsoever.

Last night I updated Yosemite to 10.10.1 and now all of a sudden Safari Version 8.0 (10600.1.25.1) won't play any YouTube videos. All I get is a black screen with a little audio clipping.

When using Firefox (v32.1.1) or Chrome (v38.0.2125.122) everything works ok.

Any thoughts?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007)

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 8:11 AM

114 replies

Nov 21, 2014 8:35 AM in response to MoXoM

I was just going to ask the same question, both I and my fiancee are having this issue. I tried updating flash, restarting in safe mode, zapping the pram all to no luck. I just updated to 10.10.1 last night, but I don't know if this is the issue as he updated the day before I did and just ran across this problem now. Videos play fine on my iPhone on the same network.

Nov 21, 2014 9:27 AM in response to MoXoM

Getting this too. Same story, updated to 10.10.1 and now no youtube video playback on Safari 8.0

Tried various troubleshooting including clearing cookies/cache/website history, install-reinstall Adobe Flash - no luck.

Read somewhere about Youtube forcing HTML5 rather than Flash Player but not sure if that would make a difference?

Works fine on other browsers (Chrome/Firefox).

Hope there is a fix soon.

Nov 21, 2014 9:30 AM in response to MoXoM

I had problems even to upgrade to 10.10.1 - the super-duper yosemite somehow restricted permissions to itself to download and install any software updates. Managed to repair the issue, upgraded... and just discovered a new feature. Safari does not play youtube video any more. Tried everything I could find on the internet, except downgrading to 10.10 or even Mountain Lion. Firefox and Chrome play youtube video with no flaws.

Well done, Apple!

Nov 21, 2014 10:01 AM in response to applewarm

Thanks for the response everyone - glad I'm not the only one having this issue!

The strange thing I'm finding some mixed results:

1) Some videos give me an error message but then play ok

http://youtu.be/MM6XG1DOwrs

2) Some don't play at all and cause the spinning ball to appear (adding a new tab and closing Youtube seems to fix this)

http://youtu.be/x3Md3O_XfoI

Hopefully Apple will fix this asap!!!

Yosemite 10.10.1 causing Safari not to play YouTube videos...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.