Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite not supporting 3440x1440 resolution

I have a Mac Mini Late 2012 hooked up to a LG 34UM94-P Monitor (21:9) - after upgrading to Yosemite I've lost my 3440x1440 resolution! I had to downgrade back to Mavericks in order to get the 3440x1440 resolution back 😟.

Anyone know when this will be corrected in Yosemite?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Had to downgrade back to Mavericks.

Posted on Nov 26, 2014 10:02 AM

22 replies

Nov 30, 2014 4:49 AM in response to dcee3

I have the same problem.

Mac mini 2012 under Maverick (I7, 16GB RAM, SSD) 3440x1440 is ok

Mac mini 2012 under Yosemit (I7, Ram 16GB SSD) 3440x1440 bad

By cons Mac mini 2011 (I5 16GB Ram SSD) Yosemit 3440x1440 is ok

I opened a ticket at Apple support, but it does not seem very eager to solve this problem. Indeed there tend to say that the screen is not made for the Mac mini.

Nov 30, 2014 6:24 AM in response to Ti_teuf

I just purchased a new 2014 Mac mini, that I have yet to unbox. I called apple support to see if my lg 3440x1440 would be supported, as I have read similar threads from other users, that 2012 Mac minis upgraded to Yosemite were having problems. They told me that Yosemite had a firmware update, and the resolution is now supported. can anyone confirm this?? Once I open my mini, I cannot return it, so I am obviously concerned.

Other users report mixed success with going to display options, holding down left click and option, selecting scaled, and viewing additional resolutions. Most have reported this doesn't work, but a few seem to have had succes.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 30, 2014 9:30 PM in response to ntrdr00

Hi,

Most of the posts that I have read on the issue of the missing 3440x1440 resolution were all Mac Mini 2012's and older. If you bought a new Mac Mini 2014 then you have Thunderbolt 2 (second generation). All the Mac Minis before 2014 have Thunderbolt (first generation) port. So I would be very surprised and shocked if your new Mac Mini 2014 didn't easily run the LG's 3440x1440 resolution!

Thunderbolt 2 (up to 20 Gbps) - as you can see from the picture below your new 2014 Mac Mini has two Thunderbolt 2 ports.

Thunderbolt (up to 10 Gbps) --- 2012 Mac Mini and older.

MAC MINI 2014:

User uploaded file

Regards,

dc

Nov 30, 2014 10:25 PM in response to Ti_teuf

I have a Mac Mini Late 2012, 16GB ram, 2.6GHz, Intel core i7, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB.

Many of the posts/solutions that I read recommended copying the file: AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext (contains video/res/buffer settings?) from a Mavericks Time Machine backup. Next downloading a program called KextBeast (installs .kext files) and run KextBeast to install that file into Yosemite. Since I didn't have a Mavericks Time Machine backup - I did a fresh install of Mavericks then copied the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext file to an external drive. Next I did another fresh install of Yosemite. Booted up into Yosemite. Copied the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext file to my desktop. Ran the KextBeast program and it installed the file exactly where it is suppose to be. I rebooted and then opened System Preferences/Displays -chose the "Scaled" option and there was the 3440x1440 resolution at the top of the list. My LG 34UM94-P Monitor is running in all its 3440x1440 glory!!!!

To locate the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext in Mavericks:

From the Finder, select Go > Go to folder... and enter "/System/Library/Extensions/".

KextBeast can be downloaded here: www.tonymacx86.com

I have to admit I was worried about running KextBeast - just because I know nothing about the program - but I figured worse comes to worse I would do a fresh install back to Mavericks. But KextBeast worked like a charm! If you have the know-how using Terminal you can do manually what KextBeast does -do a search for jonathans Blog. KextBeast requires that you first copy the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext file to your desktop.

SOME OTHER NOTES:

There were some posts that recommended getting a Hex Editor and editing the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext file - I assume they meant the version of the file that is used by Yosemite - but I went the easy way.

Hopefully this is helpful,

dc

WUPS - I forgot to mention that I am using an Apple Thunderbolt cable NOT a DisplayPort cable.

Dec 4, 2014 4:07 AM in response to ntrdr00

Hi there!

I have the same problem, I´ve bought a new 2014 Mac mini and I would like to know if it would support the LG 34UM95 monitor at its full 3440x1040 resolution.

Did you finally prove it? Did it work? What about the 4 Screens Split utility? Can it also be used with the 2014 Mac mini and the LG 34UM95?

I would really appreciate if you could provide me with some feedback about the questions above. Many thanks.

Dec 4, 2014 8:33 AM in response to Airp2014

By reading the manual yo can get here;

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-34UM95-P#

and the vendor info here

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor?cmpid=2014HEMonitor_ SEM_US_Google_UltraWide_Product_34UM95_241_%2Blg%20%2B34um95&gclid=CLa93ffgrMICF TFp7AodPykAUg

It should fully display on your 2014 Mini by either HDMI, dipslayport to mini display port, or Thunderbolt,

It says the 4-screen does work:

SCREEN SPLITTER

Multitasking doesn't have to mean shuffling back and forth between windows*. With a single click, the 4-Screen Split feature divides the screen into as many as four customizable segments, two-by-two. Now you can see four different windows at the same time.

Disclaimer: *Screen Split software runs on Windows Vista/7/8 and Mac OS.

Jan 2, 2015 5:17 AM in response to dcee3

Hi,

Your tip may be useful for me to, or? I have the same resolution problem on my Macbook Air late 2010 (with NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB) DP connection to the monitor. What do you think, are Apple likely solve this anytime soon? I hesitate to dive as deep as you do into my computer. And I'm not sure I want to spend the time and have the hazel.

Jan 2, 2015 8:02 AM in response to Strul med datorn

The terms of use of this forum includes:

Stay on topic. Apple Support Communities is here to help people use Apple products and technologies more effectively. Unless otherwise noted, do not add Submissions about nontechnical topics, including:

1. Speculations or rumors about unannounced products.
  2. Discussions of Apple policies or procedures or speculation on Apple decisions.

Yosemite not supporting 3440x1440 resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.