Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone iOS 8.1.2 battery drain remains

Hi!

As I have been seeking for a solution to my iPhone 5s battery drain problem after iOS 8 install, I have to note that today, after all of the updates the battery life remains non existent.

Battery drain in only half a day without light use, everything turned off, and not a single app installed. And the most surprising part that battery drains overnight, without use, on a airplane mode.

In the battery usage window the things I see:

1. 65 % Phone (low signal)
  2. 17 % Home & Lock Screen
  3. 14 % Settings
  4. 4 % Messages

What has been done?

• Did many fresh installs of software from update (itunes and iCloud)
  • Fresh install setting as new phone
  • Fresh install, setting as a new phone and creating new apple id;
  • Settings are set up to save every percent of the battery (including no WIFI, and no cellular data). So at this point my iphone is just a phone to ring.

Did not see any improvement over the updates iOS 8.0.2, iOS 8.1.1

I would be so appreciative for your further support in solving this question.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.1, Updated to iOS 8.1.2 battery drain

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 6:09 AM

57 replies

Dec 10, 2014 7:11 AM in response to gaiste

I answered in another discussion the issue of Battery drain on 5s 32 GB...i was hoping this would be solved with the new update , but now you are saying battery drain still remains ?

I have the same issue with iphone 5s (32gb) i upgraded as soon as the 8.1.1 came out and i suddenly saw the battery drain like crazy. In mid morning i was down to 40% and in the early afternoon gone. I left it at night running on sleep mode and the battery was drained who knows when. I normally when i have 40-50% I leave it and in the morning i have a few percentage points left....but never nothing !1

My wife is running the same phone on "8.02" and I did not upgrade hers, and no issues with battery drain there. Now she refuses to let me touch her phone in case i upgrade and screw up hers too!.. she is right in not trusting these upgrades. !

I tried all the tips and tricks that you read all over the web to stop drainage...from background refresh, to motion reduce, location, notifications...etc...believe me tried them all.

I also restored the phone a few times to clean start (8.1.1), and then also from my back up in itunes...

Nothing worked. !! My 5s becomes warmer than my wife 5s and there is definitely something running in the background that depletes the battery much faster.

I went to check the battery with my mobile operator and they claimed there is no problem...but go tell the guy fixing screws on iphones that the web is full of reports on battery drain with 8.1.1 .

After much research and waste of time...i managed to find the IPSW for downgrading to "8.1" I did succeed to downgrade and i will be testing in the next few days if all is ok. I will report any results

• I learned one lesson....don't trust the iOS "upgrades" until a few weeks and month go by to check what effects they have on the phone !! They sell you a phone for over 700-800 bucks and then you have to waste your time figuring out how to solve their software problems.Who is going to pay for my time?
  • With a market valuation of over $650 Billion and the stock price over $110, you would expect them to check thoroughly before they release a version to fix one device and screw up the others. I guess Apple & Samsung are almost running a duopoly on Smartphones. Yes, there is competition (HTC, LG, Sony, Nokia..) there but if you want the most advanced model, you need to choose between 2 or 3 suppliers. Once all your data is connected to one Operating System, the switching costs to another platform becomes expensive..cause you need to buy a new phone and a new tablet and move all your data, settings..etc
  • So for the time being i am stuck with iOS with an iPhone and iPad, and hopefully the downgrade will solve the Battery Drain of 8.1

Dec 10, 2014 2:01 PM in response to gaiste

I too had a battery drain issue once I updated 8.1.1 to 8.1.2. It has driven me crazy because I did not have this issue before that last update. Now that 8.1.2 was released, I decided to give it a try to learn if this would resolve the issue and so far, I'm convinced it has! Following the 8.1.2 update, I charged my iPhone 6 to 100% and noted the time to be 10:00 a.m. Since then, I have been using my phone all day on/off, checking mail, texting, made one phone call and was surfing the WEB. As I write this at 4:46 p.m., my battery meter reads 61% and believe this to be a huge improvement. With 8.1.1, I could see the battery meter continually spiral down on standby in a short time period. I estimate with 8.1.1, my iPhone would by now be less than 30% with the same time lapse as stated above. I am still reserving judgement until I observe another day or two and then will report an update. A good test will be how much the battery drains while in standby overnight starting with a 100% charge at around 11:00 p.m. and check it first thing in the morning around 6:30. But so far, so good. It's now 5:00 p.m. and the battery meter reads 60%!

Dec 11, 2014 4:00 AM in response to ireduce.com

Basked on the battery usage you provided, it seems to me that your battery drain is largely attributed to your phone searching for a cellular signal, accounting for 65% usage. You must have a poor signal in your area so your phone is using battery resources to search and could very well be the reason for your particular issue. Maybe the update to 8.1.2 caused an issue with your cellular that may have been fine with 8.1.1 I suggest putting your phone in airplane mode overnight which will turn off cellular to determine if this is the culprit for your fast battery drain while in standby.

Dec 12, 2014 7:28 PM in response to gaiste

Same issue here!

MY battery on iOS 8.1.1 was running normally until I did the stupid mistake, yesterday i just finished upgrading my iPhone 5s 32Gb to iOS 8.1.2 hoping the upgrade will make my phone better because the upgrade from 8.1 to 8.1.1 had an improvement, so i thought the 8.1.2 upgrade will either fix the phone bug and battery issue... and this is what i got.. make up in the morning, my battery was 86%, and after doing a lil browsing and chat, in just 35 minutes until now, my battery losing 23%!

And from the rumor, i read that (if i'm not wrong), the iOS 8.2 upgrade will be released in February... And it's a long time, if i must have this 8.1.2 battery issue with me!

Apple please fix this...

Regards from Indonesia.

Dec 13, 2014 3:13 AM in response to gaiste

I have the same issue, after updating to 8.1.2 . Never had any issues with my 5S 16GB until now.

I've tried everything, made a backup, erased everything, started from scratch.

Even so, my battery is draining ~1-2% every 2-3 minutes. This is unacceptable.

I've rolled back to 8.1.1 (because it's still possible until Apple signs the ipsw).

Nothing works. What now? I should charge my phone 2-3 times a day now? That would surely ruin my battery and maybe other parts of the phone.

I'm extremely dissappointed by Apple.

Dec 14, 2014 5:54 PM in response to gaiste

I am also having the same problem with the updates.

For the ios 8.1.1 the problem is actually the signal on the phone.

For the ios 8.1.2 the battery seems to be consumed so fast. For example im done cahrging my phone to 100% and ill leave it for some hours and im not even using it and after 4 hours battery is already down to 63%. How is that even possible. Im not even clicking or turning on the screen of the phone. I hope that on the next update they'll resolve this battery issue since its really a hard time having this kind of issue with the phone. Im also using an iphone 5s 16gb. And this just happen after I updated to ios 8.1.2.

Dec 14, 2014 10:49 PM in response to gaiste

I have the same problem in my iphone 6 plus. I updated to new releases and I still have the battery drain. in fact, I tested in airplane mode. still the same

I tried wo background refresh, notifications and location services. nothing seems to improve the situation. it is atrocious.

why on earth a fix is not released yet. will apple buy back the phone. I do NOT want this phone anymore. this is not ACCEPTABLE

Iphone iOS 8.1.2 battery drain remains

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.