Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain faster after udating to iOS 8.1.2 ( iPhone 5s A1530 16GB )

I have been wondering faster battery drain after updating to ios 8, I upgraded to iOS 8.1.2 it has been worst with this drain faster by 40% in draining, What shall i do??? I have contacted apple support and customer care i didn't get a solution. Please help??

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2, iPhone 5s 16GB A1530

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 11:14 AM

Click here for information.

(118374)

118 replies

Dec 16, 2014 11:56 AM in response to Niel

I am having the same problem.. Tried everything but nothing has worked so far...
my 5s is like a year old and has around 350 charge cycles

the battery is going like crazy and i constantly have to carry a backup battery with me all the time

I dont think so that my battery is about to die because it was working great like a week ago until i updated.....

Dec 17, 2014 8:43 AM in response to Community User

Yikes! iPhone 5s 32GB about 13 months old. Killing my battery but only after iOS 8.1.2 update!

This morning dropped 39% after 5 very short messages, no photos or attachments. I checked Usage and it shows Messaging at 36% and everything else at nearly nothing but the Home & Lock Screen at 11%. 372 charge cycles and battery life fine prior to this update being pushed.

Phone has been optimized for battery life with all legit battery saving tips applied.

Something's up!

Hope this can be rectified before too long . . .

Dec 19, 2014 4:09 AM in response to Community User

Hi Jaberboss

I did start a similar thread on this issue myself, but seeing what I've read here I hope you're ok with me adding it here to

This one is a true case of a phone with zero potentail (electrically)

OK, I've done the rounds on this one, whereby I'm just adding to the list of complaints so that (hopefully) the powers that be, or not, in my phones case, might listen.

Since updating my just over 12 month old 5s to 8.1.2, it has turned into a bag of spanners in respect of its battery life. Its literally gone from 24 or so hours between charges to less than 8 !!

I have tried shutting all the apps down and even had it sitting in full airplane mode, where i've left it alone with the screen off, yet its dropping around 1% every 3 to 4 minutes, blinding!! Checked battery usage in settings after 30 minutes, guess what standby 29 minutes usage 1 minute.

Also tried the full restore, but to no avail, still a bag of spanners!

(slight update here) Even took the SIM out with it in airplane mode and deleted all apps and a full reboot - same thing!

Does anyone remember the good old days of a fixed land line, where the phone had to be plugged into the wall before you could actually use it? lol

Nothing like a bit of retro ay, but some how I cant see this one catching on Mr Apple. Thanks

Dec 19, 2014 7:22 AM in response to Community User

Guys, the same here. I've just upgraded to iOS 8.2.1 and the battery last just for 4 hours. Some blogs have the same opinion, and sometimes they recommend to turn off some atributes in order to save battery, but... come on, I would not buy a product which I have to cut its resources in half in order to save battery. It just happened after the upgrade. Apple is getting closer and closer to vanish from my life.

Dec 19, 2014 8:47 AM in response to luiz amorim

luiz amorim wrote:

, and sometimes they recommend to turn off some atributes in order to save battery, but... come on, I would not buy a product which I have to cut its resources in half in order to save battery.

If you want all the options On then yes it'll consume more power, just like leaving all the lights and appliances on in your home. Want to save some power in your home? Turn off some of the lights and appliances. Want to save some power on the phone? Turn off some of the options.

Dec 19, 2014 9:10 AM in response to pogster

I think you don't get the idea. It's not about saving; it's about spending properly. Until I upgrade, I could use the phone for more than 1 day. Sometimes, overusing it by playing or messaging, It would last for 12 to 16 hours. I had the routine to recharge once a day. Just it. After the new iOS8.1.2, I can't leave my home without the recharger because in the noon I should recharge it. I have to recharge now 2 or 3 times a day, since this new upgrade.

Dec 19, 2014 12:17 PM in response to pogster

hey =D

So, I took some steps:

1- Reset all network settings. Nothing has changed.
2- Reset all the settings. Nothing has changed.
3- My las step was making a backup and then restore the device using itunes.
4- I've noticed apple this mourning, and they sent me something in my e-mail to click and back to them with some information about the phone. The told me that, by that diagnostics there was nothing wrong.

5- I am here, and its battery life still dropping 5% each 10 minutes

thanks for the answers =D

Battery drain faster after udating to iOS 8.1.2 ( iPhone 5s A1530 16GB )

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.