Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop pocket dialing from my iPhone 6plus?

I have a brand new (just bought it last night!) iPhone 6plus. I put it in my bag before I left my house this morning and it evidently called a friend of mine 6 times as I was driving! Glad she's an early riser, but it's still not a good thing. How do I make sure this doesn't continue to happen? I have a password set on my phone so I have no idea how it got beyond that.

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 6:14 AM

31 replies

May 21, 2017 8:09 AM in response to bseaver18

I just had this problem happen and I think it happened because of how I was holding the phone and because of where the phone icon was placed on the screen I accidently pushed the icon. Granted, the screen wasn't locked because I had just used my iPhone for something else, but I have moved my phone icon and also my camera icon (I can't tell you how many unexpected photos I've found) because I have hit that one too, to a different position to see if that helps. I bet it will!! Now I just have to get used to the new placement!

Aug 28, 2017 8:43 AM in response to 05Moose

This should be an issue with the software. It happens to me every time with my 6s and I don't know how to prevent it happening again. Today it Booked a uber ride for me and I was charged $15 while I was driving to work. I knew it only when the uber driver called me. I have set a screen locking password and it automatically gets locked after 10 seconds of inactivity when I keep it on table for example but it never gets locked itself when I keep it in the pocket. I always have to lock it manually before I pocket it or else it will call/text someone at best or request a uber ride or transfer money at worst. I never had this issue when I was using the android phone and this is really annoying

Dec 17, 2014 7:50 AM in response to bseaver18

What are your settings for auto lock in Settings/General/Autolock? If longer than a minute, the phone could be still reactivated inside your bag after you finished a call, for example.

If the proximity sensor is on top of the screen. If partially covered by a film or part of a cover, it will not work correctly anymore, keeping your screen active even when making a call, for example.

Dec 17, 2014 8:29 AM in response to bseaver18

I see no reasonable way the phone could self dial the same number several times by it simply being in your bag - even without a passcode.. I would take the phone back or have it examined at an Apple store. I think you have a hardware issue going on.

Edit: The only other thing that might cause it is static electricity from jostling around in the bag. That's really grasping at straws but who knows.

Dec 23, 2014 10:40 PM in response to bseaver18

If it makes you feel better I have the same problem. I called my husband 9 times in about 15 minutes and I added two random letters to my contacts 13 times.

I broke down and bought a wallet case but it doesn't help much. It will even dial when it's in my coat pocket. It happened today again. My auto-lock is set for 1 minute. I've clicked the home button and tapped the phone to sleep using the button on the right side. Doesn't matter. Hard reset doesn't help.

How do I stop pocket dialing from my iPhone 6plus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.