Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System time (Clock) changes on iPhone 5c

Hi everybody,

a friend recently encounters a very strange problem with his iPhone 5c. Without any reason, the clock time on the phone changes. Not full-hours-wise (like a wrong time zone) but apparently completely arbitrary - the clock then displays completely wrong times. Sometimes the clock continues running from that wrong time, sometimes it remains static for a while on a particular time. This is of course a real pain, particularly if the iPhone should be used as an alarm clock...

The phenomenon is completely independent from the "set automatically" setting in "date & time" - it even occurs if the time was set manually. It is also independent from the phone being logged into a Wifi network or if it's just online in a mobile network. It has also nothing to do with synchronizing with a PC that has a wrong system time (this appears to be the most frequently cited comment in this issue).

Sometimes it helps for a couple of minutes if "set automatically" in "date & time" is switched off and on again. Sometimes! ;-) And even if it helps and the time gets set correctly, it only takes a couple of minutes and the clock show a wrong time again.

We have tried all kinds of stuff to solve the problem: Stop all running apps (in case on of it has gone bonkers). Switch the phone off and on again. Switch flight mode off and on. Switch Wifi off and on. Switch mobile data off and on. Let the battery run completely empty, then recharge and switch the phone on again. All to no avail... The last desperate try (which I really hoped would be successful) was a hard reset (set back to factory settings via cable and iTunes and then replay the last backup). The time was ok after that - but just for a few minutes, then it changed again...

Has anybody any idea of what this strange behavior could be all about? Anybody had a similar problem? Anybody with a genius (sic!) solution? Or at least a hint what else we could try?!

Oh yes, the phone runs iOS 8.1.2 and is about 15 months old - bought directly at German Telekom.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Best regards,

TCF

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 4:03 AM

51 replies

Jan 13, 2015 4:32 AM in response to tcf68

Set it up as new device again, this time without using any backup afterwards and don't install any 3rd party apps as well.

If the time will not be changed after that, the backup contained corrupt files, causing this behavior.

Try to install 3rd party apps and see if the problem comes back, since you can't use the backup, you'll have to start without any app data.

If still not luck, contact Apple Support or the carrier to get it checked.

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

Jan 15, 2015 3:01 AM in response to tcf68

I have got exactly the same problems for both wifi (poor performance and always discount) and time (stop running when the phone is in stand-by) after upgrading my iPhone 5c to the buggy 8.1.2!

I have visited Apple Store, they have done all the restore and diagnostics which could not fix it. Their solution is asking me to replace the phone for ~US$300 (out of warranty).

With so many users having the same issue, I don't believe it is a hardware fault and goes wrong at the same time.

Jan 16, 2015 8:44 PM in response to tcf68

My iphone 5c approximately the same age (7 days over manufacturer's warranty, naturally ) & same buggy/crappy operating system and I too am having the same exact problem & tried the same setting adjustments, etc as described in the original post. Nothing has worked. I haven't had a bit of trouble with this phone until that last 'upgrade' and ever since I 'upgraded' all sorts of glitches started popping up; however, this is the only one I haven't been able to correct. I've already taken it to the Carrier (AT&T) and their geniuses were clueless & couldn't figure it out. I've tried everything recommended in these community posts & nothing has worked for more than a couple of minutes. COME ON APPLE! There's too many people having the same problem and the common denominater is this piece of crap phone. Really **** poor customer support when your geniuses can't fix them either. Fix them our replace them. You've certainly made enough money on these phones to not support them any better than this. Very dissatisfied with the phone, the carrier and especially with Apple total lack of support on their high price/no service products.

Mar 16, 2015 3:12 PM in response to tcf68

Exact same issue here right down to the full reset will fix the time for only 5-10min then bang....random time again even if i never restore the device..... The only other thing for me is that the Bluetooth will no longer turn on. Wifi seams to be OK.

With the time being off the iMessages will not go through most of the time.

Have you had any luck yet?

PS i had hoped that the iOS 8.2 would fix it...but no. I had to get my wife a new phone because it is now more or less useless.

Mar 24, 2015 8:16 AM in response to brcshn

brcshn wrote:

isn't it strange that apple is totally silent on this issue?

No.

are they waiting to be sure that 100% of the iphone 5c's are effected, to take the blame and start a replacement program?

Likely they are seeing if it really is an issue at all and if so, is it the 5c only, and how large of an issue it is.

This is the first I have heard of it.

Mar 24, 2015 4:54 PM in response to tcf68

Well ****, this is interesting. I can tell you exactly when this happened was Sunday morning Daylight savings time. My Automatic set option was not set, and wen the times switched, bingo. all of this happened and with exactly the same results, same issues. this is a firmware glitched caused by this download. We need a repair from the technical support

Apr 8, 2015 10:50 AM in response to tcf68

I have a 5c from Verizon and have had the same issues. First, the clock and bluetooth and then texts and calls weren't working. Verizon was no help and told me I could buy a used phone until my upgrade and I haven't tried the genius bar yet because I'm expecting the same answer. I ended up downgrading to an old 4 until my upgrade in September which ***** because it's so slow! haha

Anyone get this problem resolved?

System time (Clock) changes on iPhone 5c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.