Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change a Pitch of a song in Garageband 11?

I recently got a Macbook Pro, which came with an updated version of GarageBand(the newest version). Now i want to change a pitch(tonality) of a song? Could someone help me?

Thank you in advance!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 12:19 PM

Now i want to change a pitch(tonality) of a song?

What kind of song? Is it an audio file or a GarageBand project?

GarageBand 10 does no longer support transposing audio files.

You can convert your audio file to a loop or use the AuPitch filter.

• To add the audio file to the Loop Library trim it to an exact number of measures. Then select it and use the command "Edit > Add to loop library".
  • Make sure the type "Loop" is selected and not one-shot.
  • Click "Create". Now you can delete the original region and add the loop from the Loop Browser. And now the Transpose slider should work.

To transpose using the AuPitch filter:

• In the new GarageBand you add the AuPitch filter from the Smart Controls.
  • Enlarge the SmartControl panel by dragging the dividing line upwards, until you see the Audio Units brick, then add an Apple Audio Unit and set it to AuPitch.
22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Georgi Mavrov

Now i want to change a pitch(tonality) of a song?

What kind of song? Is it an audio file or a GarageBand project?

GarageBand 10 does no longer support transposing audio files.

You can convert your audio file to a loop or use the AuPitch filter.

• To add the audio file to the Loop Library trim it to an exact number of measures. Then select it and use the command "Edit > Add to loop library".
  • Click "Create". Now you can delete the original region and add the loop from the Loop Browser. And now the Transpose slider should work.

To transpose using the AuPitch filter:

• Enlarge the SmartControl panel by dragging the dividing line upwards, until you see the Audio Units brick, then add an Apple Audio Unit and set it to AuPitch.

Jan 23, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Georgi Mavrov

The methode I described will change the pitch.

When you convert your audio file to a loop, it will change the pitch, when you add it as a lop to the project and then change the key of the project in the LED display.

If you prefer the AuPitch filter:

Enlarge the SmartControl panel by dragging the dividing line upwards, until you see the Audio Units brick, then add an Apple Audio Unit and set it to AuPitch.
  • User uploaded file

Jan 23, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Georgi Mavrov

But know i don't know how to save the repaired song in mp3 format.What about the quality? Is it the same?Or when i shift the pitch it goes worse?

How much do you want to shift the pitch? A few half tone steps will be o.k. with AuPitch filter, but if you shift over a larger range it may sound funny, particularly, if vocals are involved. Then you would be better off with a vocal transformer, so you can correct the formants as well.

To export as a mp3 use the "Share" menu: Share > Song to disk.

Then use these settings:

User uploaded file

Jan 23, 2015 1:58 PM in response to Georgi Mavrov

GarageBand 10 has only the Vocal transformer, if you have also GarageBand '11 installed. Then you can also adjust the formanats.

But GarageBand '10 has at least a pitch shifter in the for the vocals in the Voice > Experimental > Deeper Vocals patch:

User uploaded file

If you have GarageBand '11 still installed, you should also see:

Legacy > GarageBand > Voice > Deeper Vocals, which has a Vocal Transformer and lets you adjust the formants.

User uploaded file

Jan 23, 2015 2:08 PM in response to léonie

When i start Garageband i choose EMPTY PROJECT and than i do this with Aupitch. I am not sure if here i don't make a mistake,when i choose Empty project, with "Tempo" or "Key Signature".

User uploaded file

Maybe i do something wrong.

My version of GarageBand is the original,which comes with the software(Maverics 10.9.5)

maybe GarageBand 10

I am trying to change the pitch of SINGBACK,without vocals.

User uploaded file

Jan 23, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Georgi Mavrov

I am not sure if here i don't make a mistake,when i choose Empty project, with "Tempo" or "Key Signature".

That should not matter, since it is an audio file.

Try, if using the second mehod - adding the audio file to the loop browser, will give better results.

Estimate the key and the tempo of your song, and create an empty project with these setting.

• Add the audio file to a track.
  • Click "Create". Now you can delete the original region and add the loop from the Loop Browser.
  • Use the Transpose slider to transpose the loop of your audio file.

How to change a Pitch of a song in Garageband 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.