Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect a wired keyboard to my iPhone 5S while stuck on the lock screen? (Need answers ASAP)

My iPhone's screen is unusable/broken on the right side of it so I can't enter the passcode on it and I can't access the Notification Center or the Control Center. Touch ID and Siri is disabled until I can enter the passcode and iTunes won't let me back it up until I enter the passcode. I have a replacement iPhone 5S here, but I want to restore it with the backup so I don't lose all of my stuff.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can connect a wired keyboard to my iPhone while on the lock screen before I go and spend the money on one?

I was looking at something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-B2B115-Wired-Keyboard-for-Apple-iPad-with-Light ning-Connector/35255242

Unless anyone knows anything else I can try?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.2, null

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 2:29 PM

20 replies

Jun 17, 2017 5:47 AM in response to Xinnyr

It will most definitely work (hooking up a keyboard to your iPhone). Use a wired USB keyboard hooked up to a powered USB hub and hook that up to a USB to Lightning camera adapter. I have tried and used it. Sadly I couldn't get it to work on my 6s which had its screen go completely black. Can't get past the lock out and can't get to the photos. During my testing I used a 5s to test the keyboard setup and worked like a charm.

Jan 28, 2015 4:11 PM in response to Xinnyr

I got in. 😀

In iTunes after you select your device down in the options of the "Summary" menu is a "Configure Accessibility" option. Click that and then you can enable VoiceOver. Then swipe left/right to scroll through the things on your screen, single tap to select things, and double tap to confirm a selection.

Thanks for the help with my original question Tim.

Nov 8, 2015 10:49 PM in response to Dilohno

Hi - I have an iPhone 5S and anything on the right side of the screen will not work so naturally I couldn't use all sorts of features. I spent a half hour on the phone with Apple just trying to reset the phone and remove all data (I got a new phone) but because I couldn't hit the "join" button on the right and add the Wifi, I was stuck with no ability to do anything since I couldn't log in or out without Wifi. They were unable to help me but I refused to give up and suddenly, I came up with an idea. I have a bluetooth keyboard for my iPad and the bluetooth was turned on on my phone so I synced my keyboard, typed in the password that way, hit the enter key and was able to turn on the wifi and reset the phone. I was able to use the Voice Over feature as suggested above to get further into the phone after I reset it. The right side still does not work but guess what I discovered? If you go into your iTunes "accessibility" settings and hit the ZOOM button feature, you can triple tap it with 3 fingers and it will zoom the screen and if you slide to the left with your 3 fingers, it moves the buttons and stuff on the right just far enough over that you can tap them and turn stuff on and off, or hit "JOIN", etc. It's a pain but it does allow you to use the phone again. Or....get a slide out QWERTY keyboard case from Amazon that definitely works with the phone. I have one that I used with this phone before and I need to find it so I can see if it will help me now. It's a little annoying, but it's better than not being able to use the phone at all. Hope that helps!

Can I connect a wired keyboard to my iPhone 5S while stuck on the lock screen? (Need answers ASAP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.