Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow WiFi issues after 10.10.2

I seem to have much much slower WiFi connectivity after the 10.10.2 update on my 2014 MBP 2.8?

It was a bit unreliable before, as it used to drop out quite often, but I was getting 35-40 Mbps average on WiFi,even though I use it in CLAMSHELL mode mostly.(Whilst using Ethernet via Thunderbolt I'd get 95 Mbps to give you some idea of what is possible)

But NOW it's almost unusable, it just lags as if it's connected to a 1 Mbps service...

In fact I've just tested it and it's worse that that!

How on earth have Apple made this happen?

Anyone else have the same issues?

Cheers

D

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2.8 GHz Intel i5 - 16GB/1TB SSD

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 5:48 AM

Hi Dillonphoto,

I had the exact same problem.

Wifi in 10.10.1 was not perfect but it worked.

After the 10.10.2 update it became painfully bad. Dropped packets, pings floating from 100 to 1000's and timeouts, no internet for large amount of times, etc.

I contacted apple support and they said they had no reports of a bug in the last update, and after running numerous tests they suggested I dropped by an apple repair certificated facility to run more tests.

As it turns out, this is a bug with the latest wireless drivers. They may have fixed the WiFI for other but they ruined it for me.

I resolved the issue (temporarily of course) by reverting the wireless driver to the one before the update.

I just hope apple notices the bug and fixes it.

Diogo

Macbook Pro Retina, mid-2014, 2,8 Ghz Intel i5

82 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2015 5:48 AM in response to Dillonphoto

Hi Dillonphoto,

I had the exact same problem.

Wifi in 10.10.1 was not perfect but it worked.

After the 10.10.2 update it became painfully bad. Dropped packets, pings floating from 100 to 1000's and timeouts, no internet for large amount of times, etc.

I contacted apple support and they said they had no reports of a bug in the last update, and after running numerous tests they suggested I dropped by an apple repair certificated facility to run more tests.

As it turns out, this is a bug with the latest wireless drivers. They may have fixed the WiFI for other but they ruined it for me.

I resolved the issue (temporarily of course) by reverting the wireless driver to the one before the update.

I just hope apple notices the bug and fixes it.

Diogo

Macbook Pro Retina, mid-2014, 2,8 Ghz Intel i5

Jan 29, 2015 6:15 AM in response to Dillonphoto

If you have a backup from 10.10.1 browse your backup and go to /System/Library/Extensions and copy the file IO80211Family.kext.

First, shut down wifi.

Next, in your updated system (running 10.10.2) go to the same path and make a backup of the same file. If you click get info on both files you can see that 10.10.1 had the version 7.0 and 10.10.2 has the version 7.1

Now paste and replace the IO80211Family.kext file.

To be sure everything is fine regarding permissions, run Disk Utility and press Repair Permissions.

When finished, reboot.

If you don't have a backup I can try and upload mine, but I'm not sure it will work across different devices.

Please let me know if this helped.

Jan 30, 2015 1:19 PM in response to Lysin

Thanks Lysin,

I've finally been able to get around to replace the IO80211Family.kext file as you suggested with a time machine copy from before 10.10.2

After a restart my WiFi speeds are now back to 45 Mbps down and 16 Mbps up - whereas this afternoon, before the change they were 2 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up!

What a stupid situation!!

Thanks again

Dillon

Jan 31, 2015 6:52 AM in response to Dillonphoto

@Dillonphoto

Mine is a Macbook Pro mid-2014, 2,8GHz . This must be something with the wireless drivers for newer cards, because not everyone is having the same issue.

I'm happy this worked for you guys. It's not a solution but at least we get to use our mac's.

PS: I also reiceved an email from apple asking to help them narrow down the origin of the issues. Logs sent and now waiting for a fix 😉

Cheers

Slow WiFi issues after 10.10.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.